LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:31 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I hate that cover.
It's actually the main reason why I haven't bought it as yet.

I bet there are a lot of unhappy teenage girls who've picked it up hoping for a spin-off of their fave angsty vamp romance film.

They should have just bought The Lost Boys instead.
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It's actually the main reason why I haven't bought it as yet.

I bet there are a lot of unhappy teenage girls who've picked it up hoping for a spin-off of their fave angsty vamp romance film.

They should have just bought The Lost Boys instead.
You usually find its obese middle age women instead of teenage girls that like twilight
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd July 2015, 05:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Went to see Jurassic World today with my 11 year old. Really enjoyed it, definitely going to buy it in October, finally a sequel to the original that was as entertaining.
And, I'm fairly certain Chris Pratt will make a good Indiana Jones, judging by a couple of the scenes!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd July 2015, 07:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Howling (1981)

When i was exploring video rental shops in my early years, The Howling was always a staple of the top shelves. It's brilliantly, terrifying poster leering out at me, challenging me to watch it. The problem was that the poster was always too scary. What could possibly be clawing at that poor woman behind that flimsy wall? Or was it in fact her who was doing the clawing? For quite a few years i have to be honest and say i wasn't brave enough to find out.

Now in 2015, some 30 years later i've seen the film. In fact i've seen the film quite a few times since those heady days of the video rental shop and to be honest although The Howling is a good film it's not as fantastic a film as that poster suggested to my scaredy cat younger self.

Directed by Joe Dante, it comes over a little tongue in cheek at times with a story line that isn't quite as engrossing as it could be. The idea of the hidden retreat populated by werewolves is a good one but it doesn't quite click, it doesn't quite grab you by the balls and squeeze them like the same years An American Werewolf in London, also a tongue in cheek horror film that is genuinely scary.

The Howling has some high points, namely Rob Bottin's state of the art, magical effects work. The transformation of man into monster one of the most gut wrenching effects ever filmed.The werewolf attack in the darkened room, lit only by moonlight cascading through the windowblinds is a tense set piece that's actually reminiscent of forties producer Val Lewton's terrific work with light and shadows.

The film is also well performed. Dee Wallace is a likeable heroine and it's always good to see the now sadly deceased Patrick Macnee in a genre production. Elizabeth Brooks as the leather clad Marsha is also a standout.

Where it fails, if it actually does fail, because as i said earlier it is a good film, is probably the story as a whole. It isn't quite as interesting as it could be, especially the middle third.

But wow...what a poster!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38c4ea699baf25e18a2a315c006f6362.jpg (97.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th July 2015, 11:21 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Howling (1981)

When i was exploring video rental shops in my early years, The Howling was always a staple of the top shelves. It's brilliantly, terrifying poster leering out at me, challenging me to watch it. The problem was that the poster was always too scary. What could possibly be clawing at that poor woman behind that flimsy wall? Or was it in fact her who was doing the clawing? For quite a few years i have to be honest and say i wasn't brave enough to find out.

Now in 2015, some 30 years later i've seen the film. In fact i've seen the film quite a few times since those heady days of the video rental shop and to be honest although The Howling is a good film it's not as fantastic a film as that poster suggested to my scaredy cat younger self.

Directed by Joe Dante, it comes over a little tongue in cheek at times with a story line that isn't quite as engrossing as it could be. The idea of the hidden retreat populated by werewolves is a good one but it doesn't quite click, it doesn't quite grab you by the balls and squeeze them like the same years An American Werewolf in London, also a tongue in cheek horror film that is genuinely scary.

The Howling has some high points, namely Rob Bottin's state of the art, magical effects work. The transformation of man into monster one of the most gut wrenching effects ever filmed.The werewolf attack in the darkened room, lit only by moonlight cascading through the windowblinds is a tense set piece that's actually reminiscent of forties producer Val Lewton's terrific work with light and shadows.

The film is also well performed. Dee Wallace is a likeable heroine and it's always good to see the now sadly deceased Patrick Macnee in a genre production. Elizabeth Brooks as the leather clad Marsha is also a standout.

Where it fails, if it actually does fail, because as i said earlier it is a good film, is probably the story as a whole. It isn't quite as interesting as it could be, especially the middle third.

But wow...what a poster!!!
I'm in the process of filing a lawsuit against this particular movie - my failing eyesight is directly attributable to a certain campfire scene which was viewed frequently at age circa 14. .Also included in the action is a Ms Jennifer Agutter for multiple offences esp. the film Equus.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:41 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I'm in the process of filing a lawsuit against this particular movie - my failing eyesight is directly attributable to a certain campfire scene which was viewed frequently at age circa 14. .Also included in the action is a Ms Jennifer Agutter for multiple offences esp. the film Equus.
What about Phoebe Cates (Fast Times at Ridgemont High) or Helen Mirren (Age of Consent, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover)? As long as Brooke Shields isn't in the lawsuit for Pretty Baby and Blue Lagoon, I wish you the best of luck!
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th July 2015, 03:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phoebe Cates is full frontal in Paradise btw, swimming though cough.....

Watched Spy (2015).
The new Rosie O'Donnell wants to be a spy. Sadly her boss (Alison Janney) doesn't think she's up to it. A silly, sweary film. Stafam amuses as MR SUPERSPY. Villianess v hot imo.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th July 2015, 07:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Phoebe Cates is full frontal in Paradise btw, swimming though cough.....
And, at 17 years old, legal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watched Spy (2015).
The new Rosie O'Donnell wants to be a spy. Sadly her boss (Alison Janney) doesn't think she's up to it. A silly, sweary film. Stafam amuses as MR SUPERSPY. Villianess v hot imo.
I'm guessing you are being facetious about Melissa McCarthy!
Old 24th July 2015, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437767424.890894.jpg

This gets a lot of negativity so wasn't expecting much, but found it to be funny,crude and even a little bit touching. Lots of pop culture references and best of all Flash Gordon. But hey I like the lost boys so no explaining my taste. It's put me in the mood to watch Flash Gordon. 7.5/10
Rik and keirarts like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 24th July 2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 24th July 2015, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I love Ted, can't wait to watch Ted 2!
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!