LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th July 2015, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
House on Sorority row.
One of my fave slashers. I only have the UK Boulevard release but have watched it many times. I must get that Scorpion dvd sooner rather than later.
Old 29th July 2015, 10:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
One of my fave slashers. I only have the UK Boulevard release but have watched it many times. I must get that Scorpion dvd sooner rather than later.
great extras and looks fantastic.
Old 29th July 2015, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
great extras and looks fantastic.
I haven't really looked into it. Is it widescreen?
Old 29th July 2015, 11:11 PM
Cult Addict

16x9 (1:78:1)

Commentaries & Interviews.
Old 29th July 2015, 11:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
16x9 (1:78:1)

Commentaries & Interviews.
Cheers good sir.
Old 30th July 2015, 07:57 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As I really like The House on Sorority Row, but only have the letterboxed Boulevard Entertainment DVD, I don't know why I hadn't upgraded to either the better Scorpion DVD or Blu-ray. I really don't want to pay over the odds for the out of print releases (it's about £35 plus postage from Amazon.com!), so I hope it's released on Blu-ray in the UK some time soon.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th July 2015, 09:18 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As I really like The House on Sorority Row, but only have the letterboxed Boulevard Entertainment DVD, I don't know why I hadn't upgraded to either the better Scorpion DVD or Blu-ray. I really don't want to pay over the odds for the out of print releases (it's about £35 plus postage from Amazon.com!), so I hope it's released on Blu-ray in the UK some time soon.
Yeah, the Scorpion Blu is oop.

I'm not sure who currently owns the rights to the film in the UK but it could certainly do with a decent release over here.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th July 2015, 09:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE FUNHOUSE - Have always had a soft spot for 'The Funhouse', which was, I think, Tobe Hooper's first theatrical release for a major studio? He did it before 'Poltergeist', anyway. I like how 'The Funhouse' just kind of meanders around for a bit without doing very much at all. We get standard issue set up – four teens, off to a carnival. A carnival with a bad rep - “not that one where those kids turned up dead two years ago, like?” Don't go there dudes! Especially, don't have this harebrained idea about sneakily spending the night there when all the sensible people have gone home! Surely this is all grist to some slasher's awful mill? Surely only that slightly virginal girl will survive? Yep, but 'The Funhouse' is a bit different. Back to that meandering. The kids wander around the carnival, taking in the two headed cows, the knackered foetuses in jars, the sinister barkers who all look descended from the same bad gene. They argue, smoke doobies, get freaked out by the odd mannequin. I can imagine some fans twiddling their thumbs for the first forty odd minutes. I didn't, though. I was hypnotised by the rancid atmosphere of the carnival, the garish colours, the messed up dummies which all seemed to have a life of their own. Yeah, 'hypnotised' is probably the word. Because even though the build up's very slow, it's never distracting, never a drag, more like a drift downriver in a boat on a summer's day, where you're lulled into a state of blissed out calm which however does become increasingly ominous because it's uhm, actually a slasher movie after all. By the time we get round to the twisted father / deformed son duo and a bit of killing, it all seems a bit secondary to the overwhelming presence of the fairground itself, which is surely the lead character in all of this. To go at it again – I love all those freaky dummies! I think Tobe must've at least checked out 'Tourist Trap'. No supernatural schtick implied in this one, but they're all very characterful. I especially dug that killer Kong head with the mouth which opened up onto a green lit scene of people running in terror. With all the coloured gel lighting on show, I'm guessing Bava / Argento must've been in the mix as well, somewhere (this possible influence goes back to 'Death Trap' as well, though). Anyway, 'The Funhouse' – I really like it, many others do not, but for me it has that early eighties horror magic and, yeah, lots of weird dummies.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:31 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Space Pirate Captain Harlock

Interesting fresh start for the well known Captain Harlock manga / anime series which continues the re-developing of the character.

Some fans like this, others don't... personally I think it's (as usual for modern Japanese films it seems) a bit too serious in tone at times.

Overall it's an entertaining and very well made (3D CG) film though and I am certainly curious how a possible sequel will turn out.

I've read it looks great in 3D btw... so will pick up a cheap 3D blu when this goes down in price.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post

Space Pirate Captain Harlock

Interesting fresh start for the well known Captain Harlock manga / anime series which continues the re-developing of the character.

Some fans like this, others don't... personally I think it's (as usual for modern Japanese films it seems) a bit too serious in tone at times.

Overall it's an entertaining and very well made (3D CG) film though and I am certainly curious how a possible sequel will turn out.

I've read it looks great in 3D btw... so will pick up a cheap 3D blu when this goes down in price.
It looks fantastic in 3d
bdc likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!