Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:43 PM
Cult Addict

I'm knocking reviews on the head because frankly I'm crap at them, but i went to see Ant-Man yesterday, Marvels latest Superhero jobby.
Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas and the girl out of Lost.
Bloody brilliant fun.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Shameless Sundays continue with a couple I have seen before:

#5 Venus in Furs Be careful what you wish for! Laura Antonelli can give Edwige a run for her money!

#6 Black Cat Third time seeing this, the first time I fell asleep, the second time I stayed awake for the entire picture and really didn't like it, the third time...well it hasn't changed for me really. A fair few Fulci movies don't do it for me...Argento....Nows thats another matter!
Old 2nd August 2015, 10:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm knocking reviews on the head because frankly I'm crap at them
A shame to hear that. After all no-one's judging, plus practice makes perfect etc.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:56 AM
Cult Addict

Nah I'm shit at it B-eye. Spend hours trying to compose something basic.
Old 3rd August 2015, 08:06 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm knocking reviews on the head because frankly I'm crap at them
It's probably not much help, but you aren't 'crap at them' and every review, no matter what the length or how it is written, is worth reading because it's about the breadth of opinions and variety of films.
profondo rosso and J Harker like this.
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:31 PM
Cult Addict

Thanks Nos, compared to some of the chaps here, yourself, Mr Teardrop in particular, what i type reads as gibberish.
Last night i watched Hammers Hound of the Baskervilles for the first time.
A brilliant take on Conan Doyles story and a new favourite Hammer, making great use of its sets mixed with the odd location shot to evoke one of their most atmospheric films.
We all know Cushing is a brilliant actor and he tackles the part of Sherlock Holmes effortlessly but it was Christopher Lee who stood out for me with a wonderful turn as Sir Henry Baskerville. Lee could do pompous intimidating aristocratic types in his sleep but here he brings a subtle innocence, a vulnerability to the role, something i hadn't seen from him before. Andre Morrel is also on top form as Sherlocks right hand man Dr.Watson lending the role a quiet gravitas a world away from comic versions of the character.
I must admit that the transfer on Arrows blu doesn't look as good as their usual output to me but that said its still good.
I got through a few of the extras last night too but will have to rewatch them as it was well past two in the morning and scotch had had its wicked way with me...😊
Old 3rd August 2015, 01:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Nos, compared to some of the chaps here, yourself, Mr Teardrop in particular, what i type reads as gibberish.
Don't be so hard on yourself – no one is perfect!
Quote:
Last night i watched Hammers Hound of the Baskervilles for the first time.
A brilliant take on Conan Doyles story and a new favourite Hammer, making great use of its sets mixed with the odd location shot to evoke one of their most atmospheric films.
We all know Cushing is a brilliant actor and he tackles the part of Sherlock Holmes effortlessly but it was Christopher Lee who stood out for me with a wonderful turn as Sir Henry Baskerville. Lee could do pompous intimidating aristocratic types in his sleep but here he brings a subtle innocence, a vulnerability to the role, something i hadn't seen from him before. Andre Morrel is also on top form as Sherlocks right hand man Dr.Watson lending the role a quiet gravitas a world away from comic versions of the character.
I must admit that the transfer on Arrows blu doesn't look as good as their usual output to me but that said its still good.
I got through a few of the extras last night too but will have to rewatch them as it was well past two in the morning and scotch had had its wicked way with me...��
Excellent review. I rented and watched it shortly after it was released and it's on my 'wish list' because I sent it back before going through all the extra features. I do remember thoroughly enjoying the film, particularly the setting and three main performances, and found the featurette with Mark Gatiss and others to be very informative.
Old 3rd August 2015, 01:12 PM
Cult Veteran

I watched Party Monster last night, it's not the first time I've seen it and it certainly splits opinion but I have to say I loved it, again.

It's high camp from everyone involved and some people HATE Culkin, but I think it's his best role and he excels in it.
I was surprised how lo-fi the film is, I'm not sure if it was recorded on tape rather than film, it looks like it and therefore I'm not sure that an HD upgrade would do anything for it, but I love the scuzzy feel it gives a scuzzy film! The soundtrack is AWESOME, although it's modern (at the time of filming) techno music and not true to the period that the film is set (late 80's).

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd August 2015, 01:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I'm knocking reviews on the head because frankly I'm crap at them, but i went to see Ant-Man yesterday, Marvels latest Superhero jobby.
Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas and the girl out of Lost.
Bloody brilliant fun.
I feel the same especially when you see reviews from people like frankie teardrop , that's why I liked the post not that I have anything against your reviews.
Old 3rd August 2015, 02:46 PM
Active Cultist

I love their films, I don't love the politics. Going back to a little contemporary Russian cinema with Taras Bulba. It is a better adaptation of the novel than the Brynner/Curtis film and boasts one hell of a well filmed battle scene with no CGI in sight.

Unfortunately the politics are rather brazen and even if in keeping with the novel, the anti-Polish and strong "join Ukraine to the Mother Russia" themes are so blatant as to be annoying even to viewers who support them. Characters die with lengthy speeches about the veins of the Ukraine running thick with proud Russian blood.

Still if you can overlook this, this makes for a good bit of epic cinema and well worth picking up for fans of international film. The UK DVD is from Metrodome, so no messing around, original version with English subs.

Taras Bulba full review.

Like this? Share it using the links below!