Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2015, 10:03 AM
Cult Acolyte

CADDYSHACK (1980)

"Licence to kill rodents". Very funny goings on at a golf course when the course is infested by a Gopher. Bill Murray tries all sorts to rid the course of the pest. Awesome scene when a chocolate bar is chucked in the swimming pool. Rodney Dangerfield enters with more money than sense and an illegal golf contest begins. Great fun.
Old 11th August 2015, 10:46 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

CADDYSHACK (1980)

"Licence to kill rodents". Very funny goings on at a golf course when the course is infested by a Gopher. Bill Murray tries all sorts to rid the course of the pest. Awesome scene when a chocolate bar is chucked in the swimming pool. Rodney Dangerfield enters with more money than sense and an illegal golf contest begins. Great fun.
It's also very topical because, if David Letterman is to be believed, the Gopher is part of Donald Trump's presidential bid!
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th August 2015, 11:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

CADDYSHACK (1980)

"50 bucks say he eats it!!"

As promised...

Paranormal Activity 3 (2011, Joost/Schulman)
Let's go back to your childhood.
Were you ever haunted by a demon?
Would you forget this??
Or would you just treat your audience like idiots??
As the female lead in the first film says that her childhood home was destroyed in a fire (after they find a charred photo), I wondered how this would pan out. Simple enough to achieve. but no, they literally change the goal posts. so, if this utterly fright free sequel is to be believed, good old granny is the leader of a coven hellbent (cough) on sacrificing her two grandchildren to whatever entity they worshhip. This contradicts the 1st film completely. Ok, you can say that they cast some spell to make them forget, but this is not the vibe that this pile of arse gives off. Never mind the fact that the picture quality is superior to PA, even though it's set in the 80s? It Follows had a better sense of period!! Ahem. and it didn't even have the bit from the trailer I was waiting for.....

Also, I noted the huuuuuuge houses that these people all live in. Which means I could shoe horn them into the same genre as Eden Lake haha. But I won't.

The Centerfold Girls (1974, John Peyser)
It comes to something when the killer is the only stand up guy in the film. The rest of the cast are either totally venal or lilylivered. Recommended!!

Room 237
At some point I am rewatching The bloody Shining. This is still a funny mockumentary. Or is it all true??? Who cares?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th August 2015, 11:23 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Room 237
At some point I am rewatching The bloody Shining. This is still a funny mockumentary. Or is it all true??? Who cares?
The people interviewed in this film are absolute lunatics I haven't watched The Shining in about 4 years so I'm well overdue a re-watch but I think I want to watch Room 237 again first! But if I recall, it's one of those films where the soundtrack is 100% more interesting than the feature!
keirarts and Vipp like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th August 2015, 11:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The people interviewed in this film are absolute lunatics I haven't watched The Shining in about 4 years so I'm well overdue a re-watch but I think I want to watch Room 237 again first! But if I recall, it's one of those films where the soundtrack is 100% more interesting than the feature!
It indeed has a nice ST. But then, so does TS. Ahem. One of these days I'l check out this MSTRMND chap haha......
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th August 2015, 12:28 PM
Cultist in Training

Just watched The Devil's Kiss (Arrow) not as good as the 'amazing' Man With The Severed Head though it features largely the same cast, this is still an amusing piece of forgotten eurotrash. I really love this kind of totally unbelievable nonsense, these particular films have that right kind of spice.
Old 11th August 2015, 12:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

CADDYSHACK (1980)

I saw this for the first time recently and thought it dreadful. So dated. Perhaps if i'd seen it back in the day i'd feel different.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 11th August 2015, 01:32 PM
Active Cultist

Fantastic Four (the new one)

In retrospect, perhaps PG-13 Cronenbergian body horror wasn't the best direction to take this franchise in.

I mean, it's not unwatchably bad (and gets enjoyably violent once Doctor Doom finally shows up), but it really doesn't work.
Old 11th August 2015, 01:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Doc View Post
Fantastic Four (the new one)

In retrospect, perhaps PG-13 Cronenbergian body horror wasn't the best direction to take this franchise in.

I mean, it's not unwatchably bad (and gets enjoyably violent once Doctor Doom finally shows up), but it really doesn't work.
Just takes so long for anything to actaully happen and by that point I was so bored I didn't care, the films only 100 minutes but I'm sure it's well over half way before anything happens. How could they screw up the source material so bad, I'm not talking about Johnny being black I was fine with that with being so few black superheroes but I think they should of went the whole hog and and had Sue as well instead of her being adopted.

Don't get me started on the "actor" playing Reed god he had the personality of a plank of wood and the acting ability to match, this is the only film I've seen him in and have no intention of watching anything else with him in, and yet again they get doom completely wrong, how hard is it to do a good Doom!

You just know a film is going to fail when the words "hip" " cool" and " appeal to young people " are mentioned by the studio and it turns out not to be any of those things.

I still stand by my rating of 2.5/10 but with it only being 100 minutes I will give it half a point more. I doubt we will see the sequel planned for 2017 once it's been forgotten I expect next year fox to annonnce another reboot Of the FF just so the rites don't go back to Disney
TJ Doc and keirarts like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 11th August 2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11th August 2015, 04:17 PM
Active Cultist

That about sums it up, yeah. Sure sounds like there were way too many cooks in this film's kitchen (and the only utensils they had were chainsaws).

Although it'll be interesting to see how the passage of time treats it. Maybe it'll develop a cult following...
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!