Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2015, 08:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dick Barton: Special Agent (1948) - Smuggling, Special Agent, Nazi War criminals, European criminals, Biological Weapon, Cholera. Sounds exciting dosen't it? However don't be fooled by this very early Hammer production. Its not that its bad its just amateurish. It has none of the hallmarks of the studios later productions, the punches in the fight scenes obviously don't connect and it dosen't know if its a drama or a comedy. But having said all this about it, it does have a 'British' charm about it and it even breaks the fourth wall at the end.

Android Apocalypse (2006) - A Sy-Fy channel TV movie and it shows! Crappy story about a mad android that wants to wipe out mankind and create a utopia for android kind. Low production values all round!
Old 1st September 2015, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441139332.512435.jpg

With the sad and untimely passing of Wes Craven, thought I would pay my respects to the great man by watching what for me is one of his greatest films and along with the old hammer films etc showing late on Friday night on ITV or what started my love of horror.

Often imitated but never bettered and the best of the series in which some were good and others pretty awful but none had the same impacted as this. A film that scared me like none other and gave me days of restless sleep as a kid and had me convinced Freddy would get me when I slept. Mind it didn't help that my father would make strange noises when I tried to sleep and went so far as to dress up like Freddy and stood outside my window throwing pebbles at my window, it's a surprise I didn't end up in therapy!! A true classic of the genre in which Cravens memory will live on. 10/10
Old 1st September 2015, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Pit (Jug Face) (2013)

A young girl in an old backwoods community ends up pregnant with her brothers child and discovers she is to be sacrificed to a creature in a pit out in the woods.

A slow burner of a film that i really enjoyed. The central premise of ancient custom and folklore is nicely explored and the idea that when a face is created on a clay jug then that person should be sacrificed to an ancient creature is quite Lovecraftian in it's execution.

The film is clearly low budget yet is so small scale you don't really notice. Larry Fessenden, the director of Wendigo and The Last Winter is one of the actors here, but due to the thick atmosphere and ambiance you'd swear he also directed it too. The film boasts strong performances all round giving the whole thing a very believable air which all culminates in an original and interesting horror movie.

Be warned though. If you thought the aforementioned Fessenden films were not to your taste i'd stay clear of this too.
If people don't like his movies I would steer clear of the ps4 game until dawn as he wrote it and also has a role in the game
Old 1st September 2015, 10:00 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

13 EERIE

More bilge courtesy of the Horror Channel.

A class of forensic science students are taken to a body farm to complete a practical exam in the field. The problem is, there are more corpses than there should be, then some of the corpses start to move...

There is a lot to like in this film if individual elements are taken from the whole but sadly budget, woeful pacing and flat direction stop it from inducing anything but indifference in the viewer.

This is one of those zombie films that plays out like a slasher film in structure due to a minimal cast and, I imagine, the vast majority of the budget going on its Fulci style zombie attacks. They are impressive too with multiple eye stabbings and gouging to the fore. Hell, it even has zombies bursting rather finely through floorboards to attack. The film is old style gore heavy as the three or four zombies pick off the six or seven cast members. The zombies themselves look like the bastard offspring of the Toxic Avenger and the corpse from NECKROMANTIK and have a very Italian gait as they go about their business. At times, the film plays like the jungle scenes from ZOMBIE FLESHEATERS but set in a bleak, arse end of winter location covered in stunted trees and dead grass.

Rereading the above makes it sound pretty good even to me but as said, the pacing is awful and never shifts out of second gear so that highly impressive, blood soaked scenes of carnage are delivered with the same intensity as a scene where two characters discuss what they are having for their tea! Sadly, nothing in the film is detached enough from its own reality to give it, for want of a better phrase, what I like to call 'looking through Frankie Teardrop's eyes syndrome' whereby the very flatness of the film combined with the pacing creates a hole in the fabric of consensual reality, leading the viewer into an alternative dimension within their or possibly another's psyche.
Old 2nd September 2015, 06:50 AM
Cult Addict

The Antichrist

Alberto De Martino delivers one of the best of the Exorcist knock off's. Carla Gravina plays a disabled woman who becomes possessed by Satan, its up to a plucky priest and Alida Valli to perform an exorcism!
Firstly, the cinematography from exploitation maestro Joe D'amato is superb, the film really looks great, there's some superb camera work and editing at play and the sound design is also great. The score from Ennio Morricone & Bruno Nicolai is also a real winner and the sets and locations also work. The opening scenes in Rome with the locals visiting a shrine really sets up a strange and oppressive tone to the film, the choice to leave all the dialogue in Italian without subtitling adds a great deal to the scene. I'm not certain if its intentional but the inability to understand what's being said really adds something. Overall this is a terrific film and actually better than Exorcist 2.
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:08 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The Antichrist
I haven't seen this since it was released on DVD years ago. I remember thinking it was a mess, but a fun mess, but it's overdue a reappraisal.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The only thing I remember about The Antichrist is the goat.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

That's what I said about my 16th birthday party.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dick Barton Strikes Back (1949) Dick strikes at the heart of a villianous plot to destroy......Blackpool Yes the seaside resort is in grave peril when the villian of the piece wants to turn Blackpool Tower into a giant electric tuning fork that will shrink peoples brains! I shit you not! In 'A View to a Kill' Bond scaled the Eiffel Tower...In 40's Britain the best we could do was Blackpool Tower.

Split Second (1992) Set in a waterlogged near future Rutger Hauer plays a London cop who is chasing down the serial killer who murdered his partner. The killer eats its victims hearts and taunts Hauer, however the killer isnt what it seems to be. Kim Cattrall, still sporting her Vulcan hairdo from the previous years 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' also stars, as does Alun Armstrong, Pete Postlewaite and Ian Dury. I remember this movie being hyped on its original release with advertising including a lengthy article in Starburst magazine....However it didn't live up to the hype. Still dosent but its not bad for a monster movie.
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:03 PM
Ex-member

After receiving my steelbook i watched

Re-Animator - one of my all time favourites what's left to say that hasn't been said before, i love this film.

After i carried on my Craven marathon

The Serpent And The Rainbow - watched this for the first time despite owning the dvd for years, its a good film and one of Craven's creepiest but it's not as fun as his others and i thought it dragged on a bit still a good straight horror.

The People Under The Stairs - now this is a fun film back to Craven's usual mixture of horror and humour, awesome film. Some of the dialog in this is hilarious such as Leroy telling Fool "thirteenth birthday is unlucky anyway". "Too old to get tit, too young to get ass"...

Like this? Share it using the links below!