Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2015, 06:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Phobia 2

The Anthology sequel moves away from Tongue in cheek & scares towards Gore & Scares.

5 Tales this time instead of 4 with the best being story 4,followed by 3 then 2. Story 1 is average & story 5 could have easily not been added. Story 4 (the best in my opinion) is a gory creeper about a car saleswoman who takes vehicles involved in traffic accidents and cheaply does them up to resell but as well as a buyer being angry the dead victims spirits are none to impressed either! overall 7/10

The Happening

WTF? a bunch of appalling actors run like the wind (literally) as a few moving trees and bushes in the breeze make them crap themselves or commit suicide throw in several bizarre lines of dialogue about things like hotdogs and hayfever and you have a great nomination for one of the most pointless appalling films of the last 15 years...no scrap the nomination and just give it the -10/10 note the - don't miss the -

sidenote: thank christ this was a free viewing among a batch of blu rays given to me gratis & I don't have to mourn the loss of a single penny.

Body

short but very enjoyable film that was apparently shown at frightfest. The characters one in particular show a genuine reaction to the situation of finding a corpse lodging with them including a traditional but well portrayed cold hearted bitch 8/10 runs at just 71 minutes.

I have watched many horror shorts on youtube some have impressed me much more than any mainstream 90 minute horror has for some time I have put 5 of the best below for those who may not have seen any or all of them. I have chosen these as the best based on the following merits (those merits being one or all of the following) ... Creepy,original,thought provoking,pure fun,amusing,heartfelt

A playlist of them I made on my youtube account for easier access to all at once.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...sK94Rqi3przU5K
Old 10th September 2015, 10:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ah, come on The Happening is one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

Watched The Awful Dr Orloff last night in French with no subs. I tell you this book is taking over my life haha.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th September 2015, 11:23 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watched The Awful Dr Orloff last night in French with no subs. I tell you this book is taking over my life haha.
I re-watched the Sadistic Baron Von Klaus the other night so sympathise with your addiction!
bdc, Demoncrat, keirarts and 1 others like this.
Old 10th September 2015, 02:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I re-watched the Sadistic Baron Von Klaus the other night so sympathise with your addiction!
Howard Vernon can do no wrong in my book, even his turn as a "tribal" chieftan in Sexy Darlings haha ahem.

AANyway.....
Watched The Dark (1979)
Not the film I remember! Richard Jaeckel seems to be. in. a. different. film. considering. the. way. he. intones. his. dialogue
ahem. The rather dark (no pun intended) print I've had to suffer may have something to do with it. Or considering its rather chequered history maybe this is as well. A rather downbeat little film really, something that I have noticed from all sorts of films that were made that year. Coincedence? Or something more sinister??

Also watched this "extended" edition of F&F7 (thanks to a mate). 3 headbutts doth nae make a film "extended" in my book. Though I have to say I enjoyed it a lot more on the level that as there is a strong faaaaaaaaaaaaamily thread throughout and of course the Staf, I know see it as the most violent episode of Eastenders ever.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 10th September 2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10th September 2015, 07:47 PM
Ex-member

Had a Mario Bava evening both of which i had seen a long time ago and were in desperate need of a re-watch.

Hatchet For The Honeymoon - Though not Bava's best it is a very good little film, half slasher/half ghost film.

A Bay Of Blood - The one that started the slasher genre? This was ahead of it's time and was a major inspiration for later films, with two kills from Friday the 13th Part 2 - being directly taken from this. I read somewhere that Christopher Lee watched the film after being interested in seeing what Bava had recently made after working with him 8 years before (The Whip & The Body), aparently Lee was apalled by the films high violence. I find it quite ironic that one of horrors most famous faces was appaled by violence.
Old 10th September 2015, 08:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post
The Happening

WTF? a bunch of appalling actors run like the wind (literally) as a few moving trees and bushes in the breeze make them crap themselves or commit suicide throw in several bizarre lines of dialogue about things like hotdogs and hayfever and you have a great nomination for one of the most pointless appalling films of the last 15 years...no scrap the nomination and just give it the -10/10 note the - don't miss the -

sidenote: thank christ this was a free viewing among a batch of blu rays given to me gratis & I don't have to mourn the loss of a single penny.
Utter poo this film. Hard to believe this was from the same guy that gave us Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th September 2015, 09:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Hard to believe this was from the same guy that gave us Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs.
Not for me it isn't.
Old 10th September 2015, 10:50 PM
Cult Addict

Really Dem? I get that all the have there faults but The Happening was exceptionally shittypoo. I mean nothing happened. Its 90 odd minutes of nothing happening, particularly ironic in a film called The Happening. And the nothing that happened didn't even get a bloody explanation. At least M.Night Shumbalumbas other films had a bloody plot!
Old 10th September 2015, 10:56 PM
Cult Addict

Deadbeat at Dawn

Jim VanBebber directs himself as gang leader Goose, who decides to turn his back on his violent drug fuelled lifestyle after one last score. When a rival gang kills his girl Goose heads out for revenge.
Shot guerilla style using money for his third year of film school, vanbebber turns in a down & dirty, bloody as hell micro-budgeted action odyssey with some fairly outrageous stunts all orchestrated by Vanbebber himself as well as some fairly well orchestrated fight scenes and some nasty violence. Its an entertainingly trashy experience that comes across as a mixture of Street trash and story of ricky as Goose pummels his way through the rival gang.

The disc also has some pretty interesting short films including my sweet satan which comes across as a true crime-esque tale of a small town satanist and drug fiend taking things to far, Roadkill: the last days of John Martin a sleazy, scuzzy gore fuelled tale of a cannibalistic serial killer. Doper a documentary piece on slackers who work dead end jobs and live for pot fuelled weekends, Kata a look at a Karate master going through his Kata and Into the black an ultra low budget post apocalypse rock odyssy with martial arts.
Old 10th September 2015, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Really Dem? I get that all the have there faults but The Happening was exceptionally shittypoo. I mean nothing happened. Its 90 odd minutes of nothing happening, particularly ironic in a film called The Happening. And the nothing that happened didn't even get a bloody explanation. At least M.Night Shumbalumbas other films had a bloody plot!
I'm not a fan of his at all. The Sixth Sense was a one watch film which i enjoyed but have yet to even unwrap the dvd i bought in late 1999.

Signs was so funny it hurt.

I would think my fave film he has anything to do with is Devil and even that's not wonderful.
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!