Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2015, 05:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not a fan of his at all. The Sixth Sense was a one watch film which i enjoyed but have yet to even unwrap the dvd i bought in late 1999.

Signs was so funny it hurt.

I would think my fave film he has anything to do with is Devil and even that's not wonderful.
Since my review of the "crappening" yesterday this ironically turned up in my youtube suggestions which is hilarious and a great laugh it's better than the film too!

Amusing "honest" Trailer for the Happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVwt...lzfuw&index=12
Old 11th September 2015, 07:28 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Signs was so funny it hurt.
I couldn't agree more. Not even the spoof in Scary Movie 3 could top the original in terms of silliness.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th September 2015, 04:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Finally watched Bava's Planet of the Vampires.

Met my expectations, great film. Some of the shots, particularly when they explore the alien ship, are simply out of this world.

9/10

Old 11th September 2015, 07:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

"A horror anthology. In the first, a man and his pregnant wife help an old woman bury a covered pot in a field. Believing that the pot contains treasure, they kill the old woman, only to find that it contains nothing but bones. The pregnant woman goes into labor over the dead woman's body, and blood from that event drips onto the corpse. The baby, when born, is fully able to bite his father's finger off and kill him. The second episode concerns an adulterous couple who, when discovered by the woman's husband, nail him up in a box and try various means to dispose of him, all of them somehow lacking finality. The final episode concerns a man who is wrongly accused and executed for a murder he did not commit. Using a bit of magic as he dies, he is able to return to his home for a few days as a very vigorous ghost."

Pretty decent HK horror anthology with part 1 being the scariest,part 2 being the trashiest and part 3 being the best and most moving.
Old 12th September 2015, 03:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Amer (2009)

If there's one film that defines the term 'Style over substance' then Amer is that film.

Whilst intended as a homage to classic Italian cinema of the sixties and seventies this plot less piece of arthouse ploddery doesn't have a single original idea of it's own. Every shot, every musical cue, seems to have been lifted out of another better film entirely resulting in an often beautiful yet very uneven mess.

It doesn't help that Amer is practically a silent film either. At least where dialogue is concerned. Then again with no story line so to speak - the film solely depicts three key moments in a young woman's life - you don't really need dialogue to drive it along.

The films of Dario Argento and Mario Bava of course instantly spring to mind as do Goblin with the soundtrack, yet it's just not classic gialli that get's plundered. Jess Franco and his many zoom shots seem a particular favourite of directing duo Cattet and Forani, as does French erotic cinema of the 70's.

I felt the four short films as extras on the dvd worked much better than the main feature. In fact it made me feel that the main film was just three shorts thrown together to make a feature length film.

If you want a modern take on the classic 70's giallo then go with Berberian Sound Studio for the arthouse route or Eyes of Crystal for the more visceral shocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p_Amer-Poster.jpg (60.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12th September 2015, 04:19 PM
Ex-member

More Bava

Lisa And The Devil - really like this film, creepy atmospheric and with a great twist.

House Of Exorcism - i understand why people hate this, being a re-cut of Lisa adding in exorcism scenes in order to cash in on the success of The Exorcist. But i don't think it's that bad obviously i prefer Lisa and that was the film Bava intended to be seen but as a sucker for alternative cuts i am glad i got to see it.
Old 12th September 2015, 04:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Deadly Blessing by the late Wes Craven. A watchable effort from the very talented Wes. Arrow's HD disc, for the most part was pretty good. Loved the extras; in particular the interviews with Wes and Michael Berryman. Also recognized the voice of the late Percy Rodriguez as the narrator at the start of the movie. He voiced many a horror movie trailer from the '80s, in particular, Creepshow 2. The whole package from Arrow is definitely worth a watch.
Old 12th September 2015, 05:51 PM
Seasoned Cultist

hi guys, just watched "A/U MORDUM"!
found it to be a bit boring ,but very brutal.
strangely enough,I've still yet to see A/UNDERGROUND, which I have, but just fancied watching MORDUM.
also got A/U PENANCE to view.

thanks
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 12th September 2015, 06:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicbomb View Post
More Bava

Lisa And The Devil - really like this film, creepy atmospheric and with a great twist.

House Of Exorcism - i understand why people hate this, being a re-cut of Lisa adding in exorcism scenes in order to cash in on the success of The Exorcist. But i don't think it's that bad obviously i prefer Lisa and that was the film Bava intended to be seen but as a sucker for alternative cuts i am glad i got to see it.
I've only watched this once, and I was pretty disappointed. All I remember is a confused story and a quite inept leading lady.

Having said that, I know that I have the Arrow Blu-ray somewhere (one of the last that came in a white slipcase, if I remember correctly). Maybe I should rewatch the film some time soon.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th September 2015, 06:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I've only watched this once, and I was pretty disappointed. All I remember is a confused story and a quite inept leading lady.

Having said that, I know that I have the Arrow Blu-ray somewhere (one of the last that came in a white slipcase, if I remember correctly). Maybe I should rewatch the film some time soon.
I remember not particularly liking it first time I watch it but liked it a lot more second time round when watching the Arrow Bluray.

Like this? Share it using the links below!