Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179431Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2015, 07:30 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The Jar (1984)

Despite the thread-bare script and emotionally void 'acting' there was something slightly intoxicating about the highly unimaginatively titled 'The Jar'.

The plot is a simple one: Man picks up someone after an accident and takes him back to his apartment to get cleaned up; man disappears; giant jar dwelling demon remains; demon gradually starts possessing man; the end (pretty much).

However, despite the glaringly obvious short-comings, the possession based events which run throughout The Jar's fairly short running time is where the film really came into its own for me. These events are played out as dream-like sequences involving some nice use of camera effects, lighting and sound almost imbibing an Argento-ish quality at times - although this is where the Argento comparison ends (unless we're talking Dracula 3D or Giallo Argento of course...). Although I am being slightly unfair, as I'd rather re-watch The Jar over the aforementioned Argento pairing any day.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 25th September 2015, 03:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE VISITOR
There isn't much point in trying to give a brief synopsis of the plot, as there clearly isn't one!
As is revealed in the accompanying interviews, it seems to consist of about five different stories, none connected with each other and individually not making any sense. Having said that, you really owe it to yourself to see this one via Arrow's blu ray, as it is totally bonkers in a can' t stop watching it to see where the hell it goes next kind of way.

SPASMO
Ivan Rassimov stars as a man who is convinced he has stabbed an intruder to death, only for the body to disappear. And what are all the other characters plotting? Umberto Lenzi's giallo is one of the less exploitative titles in the genre, but its plot twists make it an entertaining watch. It also stars the sexy Suzy Kendall and has a cracking score from Ennio Morricone.
Here's hoping 88 Films put out more gialli in their Italian Collection, as this blu ray looks fantastic.
Old 25th September 2015, 05:05 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just watched a preview version of The Life, Legacy and Legend of Don Borchers (the documentary which will be on the 88 Films' Children of the Corn set). It's a comprehensive look at the career (so far) of someone about whom I knew very little with some illuminating and occasionally very funny stories about films he had a hand in making in his various roles, whether it's as an accountant, producer or director. The contributions from people he worked with are very honest, so punches aren't pulled just because it's a documentary about him – Corey Feldman is very honest about Meatballs 4, for example.

Jim Kunz has done a really good job with directing and conducting the interviews (they were organised by by Calum Waddell, who conceived, developed and co-produced the documentary), and Naomi Holwill did her usual fantastic job with editing about 15 hours of footage down to make an 84 minute documentary. It's going to be a terrific addition to the set (even though the Children of the Corn part is only one segment) of a thorough look at a fantastic character and hugely influential producer.

Actually, if it was a feature length documentary about Don Borchers and Children of the Corn, it wouldn't be half as interesting or entertaining – the highlight for me was about another film altogether!

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 25th September 2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 25th September 2015, 09:47 PM
Active Cultist

Nymphomaniac (directors Cut). Been holding off on this until I could see the whole enchilada. One thing up front - Von Trier does not give 2 shits about creating a classic piece of filmmaking, being lauded in critical textbooks or catering to profitable demographics - his philosophy is simple - if it's a cool scene/image/line/idea it's in. This gang ho style has obvious problems - wild fluctuations in tone, cringey moments that don't work outside LVTs head, excessive length (!) BUT , man, it's addictive - this film flies by - elegiac nostalgia, leads to bawdy smut, intellectual trivia and dissertations on Bach gives way to the most horrific scene I've witnessed in a lifetime of watching horrific scenes. Unforgettable cameos by Uma Thurman and Jamie Bell transfix you, blaring Rammstein exhilirates you, inexplicable plot contrivances drive you bloody crazy. Bottom line? I wish there were more Lars Von Triers and to hell with perfection and posterity.

Everest - fresh in my mind - saw it in the IMAX last night - recommend you do to, stunning does not do it justice. Screenplay could do with some work but when you're trapped in a 100 mph snowstorm , 25,000 ft in the air with no possible escape you won't be worrying too much about the character's inter relationships. Just an incredible achievment all round although, I wonder if, like LOTR and Avatar it'll end up being a cinema only experience for me.

My latest addiction - Eric Rohmer. If you had told me even a year ago I would be chain watching films about the sexual and philosophical strivings of a load of self obsessed 80s (1980s!) French folk I would have tittered and shook my aged noggin. You know what though? They're brilliant - totally engrossing. The dated clothes and electro music that surface paradoxically reveal how universal these films actually are - the urge for personal nirvana is, after all, timeless. Watched so far - The Aviators Wife, A Good Marraige, Pauline at the Beach and Full Moon in Paris. Arrow box set available for about 12 quid at Fopp - for 8 movies its a steal.

Loved Sense8 on Netflix - takes its own damn time but the pay offs are great. Tom Twyker and The Wachowskis directing Van Damme homages was always going to be fun and this is but it's also emotionally gruelling and really sad. If you're swithering - give it a go.
Old 25th September 2015, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Ghosthouse (1988)

Young people move into a creepy house that's seemingly haunted by a young girl with a large clown doll who then proceed to terrorize and murder the new occupants.

Creepy clown dolls don't really cut it for me in the scares stake so director Umberto Lenzi had his work cut out to make this interesting especially as the bulk of the plot is typical ghost story standards.

Lenzi does actually produce something quite interesting and occasionally memorable. The soundtrack has a striking motif to it that felt cheesy at first, however the more times you hear it the more insanely chilling it becomes. Lenzi also imbues the film with great sequences of splattery gore beginning with the opening prologue that kept me interested throughout, as did the quietly creepy atmosphere.

Ghosthouse isn't perfect by any means. The dialogue or at least the dubbing is poor and the whole radio signals plot device that draws the people to the house isn't exactly thrilling, lead actress Lara Wendel grates at times too, but on the whole Ghosthouse is an enjoyable diversion that has a decent amount of re-watch value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La_Casa_3_-_Ghosthouse.jpg (87.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 25th September 2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 26th September 2015, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default From Beyond the Grave.1974.Kevin Connor.

from_beyond_the_grave_poster_03.jpg

From Beyond the Grave.1974.Kevin Connor.

"Offers You Cannot Resist".
The anthology film,we all love em and we all have are fave.But as pointed at by the creators of The League of Gentlemen tv shows,even the most innocuous of crimes and misdemeanour's were punished by some sort of painful death.Step on a crack in the pavement,short change your local newsagent or forget to say hello to your neighbour's pet cat and then you'll probably accidentally fall into a meat mincer while said hard done by victims laugh manically at your graveside.
See Terry Thomas in The Vault of Horror story The Neat Job,Bludgeon to death and sawn up just because he was abit tidy.
Everybody in From Beyond falls foul of Peter Cushing's antique shop owner,mind you everyone who enters the shop seems to be a shoplifter or dishonest in some way,except for the splendid Ian Ogilvy who turns out to be the only honest bloke left.
In The Gatecrasher David Warner buys an evil mirror for a bargain and turns into a killer.An Act of Kindness see's Ian Bannen steal a medal to impress and befriend Donald Pleasance and his real life daughter.
The Elemental has Ian Carmichael gets his very own evil spirit for swapping a price tag on a snuff box.While in The Door, Ian Ogilvy buys a door into another time in history.
The whole thing is then wrapped up by a robber who has been hanging around the shop waiting for his chance to rob Cushing,only to end up dead of course.Story wise there's very little we haven't seen before,the David Warner one is very reminiscent of the story The Haunted Mirror from the Ealing film Dead of NIght,and the others are all variations of familiar tales, written by Ronald Chetwynd-Hayes the creator of the Monster Club his stories do lack originality im afraid.
That said this Amicus production is well filmed and looks great and is vigorously directed by Mr Motel Hell himself Kevin Connor.And like all Amicus films it has plenty of familiar faces from past and present British film and Television.Not my fave of the Amicus bunch but certainly a fun film with some great performances.

Old 26th September 2015, 12:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I enjoyed that review Inspector.

Of course Ogilvy's honest. He's a saintly type you know.
Old 26th September 2015, 04:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Butterfly Room (2012)

The only good thing i can say about The Butterfly Room is that it has a cast made up of classic genre actresses - Barbara Steele, Heather Langenkamp, Camille Keaton, PJ Soles and Adrienne King.

I found the film really disappointing and rather dull for the most part. It's also definitely not a horror film more a psychological thriller without any thrills. The only part in any way memorable was the finale and the reason Steele let no one other than herself see her butterfly room. It was nicely acted but i never found Steele totally convincing.

Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salem released the same year, has more success mixing classic genre actresses with a decent horror storyline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSe1rq4.jpg (88.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 26th September 2015, 07:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443292873.917833.jpg

Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, will never be a classic but it's a fun, gory story of a priest (Ben cross) after surviving being trowing out of a 14 story is given his own church. We soon find out it has a dark past as two priest had been killed ritualistic manner. 7.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443293210.521148.jpg

Yawn had some good ideas about good vs evil and the afterlife, but all let down by a boring script, some poor acting and some damn awful special effects. 4.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443293340.569069.jpg

Enjoyable with some good kills but isn't enjoy this as much as the first, mainly down to an unlikable cast. 6/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443293418.064658.jpg

When it started was expecting a retelling of teen wolf, with American football instead of basketball. But it soon takes a darker tone, enjoyable for what it is, with an likeable cast and characters. 7.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443293656.522994.jpg

Not seen this since i was a wee nipper. Absolutely excellent. Basic story is that of a A.I that questions the orders of its creator. So it takes over the house of the creators ex wife with the intention of producing a child with her soon a battle of wits start between the wife ( Julie Christie ) and proteus 4. Both Christie and Robert Vaughan as proteus give fantastic performances, especially Vaughan who's character is menacing and creepy and yet you also feel sympathy for his plight and what he is trying to accomplish. 9.5/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 27th September 2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 26th September 2015, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443296060.383943.jpg

Fantastic film, that's tense, claustrophobic and well acted. This is the third film with lead actor Nick Damici that I have really enjoyed the other two being stakeland and late phases. The only downside is the godawful UK artwork and title, as the film has nothing whatsoever to do with zombies, but is people that have mutated into rat/man hybrids after being bitten by mutated rats. 9/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443296338.963084.jpg

So bad it's absolutely brilliant. Completely OTT and bonkers tale of vampires in modern day LA. Highlight for me had to be the completely bonkers and OTT performance from Rod Steiger as Van helsing who hires a group of gang bangers in his quest to rid the world of vampires, who also turns out to be a nazi war criminal. Very tongue in cheek with nearly all the cast given OTT performances. 8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!