Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2015, 01:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I was passing through London with work on Friday and decided to stay overnight to see a couple of films at the London Film Festival.

Elstree 1976 is a documentary that explores the impact that the filming of Starwars had on the lives of 10 of the films "extras" (including David Prowse). A really interesting film, a lotto fun and, surprising considering how much has been written and said, with something new to add to the Starwars discussion.

Being Evel dealt with slightly different subject matter, the life and times of Evel Knievel. Evel, a childhood hero of mine. The film does a particularly good job of disassembling his reputation. It turns out he was a pretty nasty piece of work.

Assassination my final film before I headed to Heathrow for my flight home was this Korean "men on a mission" film set during the Japanese occupation. Its a great piece of action cinema following a small team of independence fighters who are sent on a suicide mission. Great fun and very reminiscent of classic WW2 films (although the soundtrack owes a lot to Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds).
Old 11th October 2015, 02:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Big Bird Cage (1972)

6/10

Spirited Away (2001)

10/10 - One of the very times when the film's title actually reflects the exact and completely immersive feeling's of experiencing it.

Venom (1981)

6/10

The Legacy (1978)

5/10
Old 11th October 2015, 02:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Being Evel dealt with slightly different subject matter, the life and times of Evel Knievel. Evel, a childhood hero of mine. The film does a particularly good job of disassembling his reputation. It turns out he was a pretty nasty piece of work.
What did he do? I know he attacked a writer but I believe that was over some disparaging remarks made by the writer. Curious to know what other things he got up to.
Old 11th October 2015, 03:07 PM
Cult Veteran

In The Mouth of Madness

John Carpenter explicitly does HP Lovecraft in this film about an author who sends his readers into psychotic frenzy. "Do you read Sutter Cane?" Boom axe through the window! An excellent late entry into the JC cannon, keeps you hooked right from the beginning and keeps you right there until the crazy, bug eyed, manic laughing end!
Unbelievably I'd never seen this one and I am a self proclaimed Carpenter addict so to fix that I found that the US blu is region free and ordered myself one for something like £8.00 from amazon. I'm glad that I did because this is now one of my favourites!
You've all seen it, but I highly recommend it anyways!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th October 2015, 03:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
In The Mouth of Madness

John Carpenter explicitly does HP Lovecraft in this film about an author who sends his readers into psychotic frenzy. "Do you read Sutter Cane?" Boom axe through the window! An excellent late entry into the JC cannon, keeps you hooked right from the beginning and keeps you right there until the crazy, bug eyed, manic laughing end!
Unbelievably I'd never seen this one and I am a self proclaimed Carpenter addict so to fix that I found that the US blu is region free and ordered myself one for something like £8.00 from amazon. I'm glad that I did because this is now one of my favourites!
You've all seen it, but I highly recommend it anyways!
A fantastic film and makes for a great double-bill with New Nightmare.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th October 2015, 05:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
What did he do? I know he attacked a writer but I believe that was over some disparaging remarks made by the writer. Curious to know what other things he got up to.
These were a couple of things I found at Wikipedia:

Shortly after getting married, Knievel started the Butte Bombers, a semi-pro hockey team.[7]p. 21 To help promote his team and earn some money, he convinced the 1960 Olympic Czechoslovakian hockey team to play the Butte Bombers in a warm-up game to the Olympics. Knievel was ejected from the game minutes into the third period and left the stadium. When the Czechoslovakian officials went to the box office to collect the expense money the team was promised, workers discovered the game receipts had been stolen. The United States Olympic Committee wound up paying the Czechoslovakian team's expenses to avoid an international incident.[7]p. 21-22 Evel Knievel also played with the Charlotte Checkers of the Eastern Hockey League.

While Knievel was healing from his latest round of injuries, the book Evel Knievel on Tour was released. Authored by Knievel's promoter for the Snake River Canyon jump, Shelly Saltman, the book painted an unflattering picture of Knievel's character, alleging that he abused his wife and kids and he used drugs. Knievel, with both arms still in casts, flew to California to confront Saltman, a VP at 20th Century Fox. Outside the studio commissary, one of Knievel's friends grabbed Saltman and held him, while Knievel attacked him with an aluminum baseball bat, declaring, "I'm going to kill you!" According to a witness to the attack, Knievel struck repeated blows at Saltman's head, with Saltman blocking the blows with his left arm. Saltman's arm and wrist were shattered in several places before he fell to the ground unconscious. It took numerous surgeries and permanent metal plates in his arm to eventually give Saltman back the use of his arm. Saltman's book was pulled from the shelves by the publisher after Knievel threatened to sue. Saltman later produced documents in both criminal and civil court that proved that, although Knievel claimed to have been insulted by statements in Saltman's book, he and his lawyers had actually been given editorial access to the book and had approved and signed off on every word prior to its publication. On October 14, 1977, Knievel pleaded guilty to battery and was sentenced to three years' probation and six months in county jail, during which he publicly flaunted his brief incarceration for the press.

After the assault of Saltman and time served in jail, Knievel lost most marketing endorsements and deals, including Harley-Davidson and Ideal Toys. With no income from jumping or sponsorship, Knievel was eventually forced to declare bankruptcy. In 1981, Saltman was awarded a $13 million judgment against Knievel in a civil trial, but never received money from Knievel or Knievel's estate.
MacBlayne, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 11th October 2015, 05:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
These were a couple of things I found at Wikipedia:

Shortly after getting married, Knievel started the Butte Bombers, a semi-pro hockey team.[7]p. 21 To help promote his team and earn some money, he convinced the 1960 Olympic Czechoslovakian hockey team to play the Butte Bombers in a warm-up game to the Olympics. Knievel was ejected from the game minutes into the third period and left the stadium. When the Czechoslovakian officials went to the box office to collect the expense money the team was promised, workers discovered the game receipts had been stolen. The United States Olympic Committee wound up paying the Czechoslovakian team's expenses to avoid an international incident.[7]p. 21-22 Evel Knievel also played with the Charlotte Checkers of the Eastern Hockey League.
Wow. That's spectacularly scumbaggish.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 11th October 2015, 06:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Zombie Holocaust

Nice looking BD from 88. Forgot how much terrible dialogue there is in it. Love the scene where the doctor tells the woman to calm down after she discovers a decomposing severed head covered with maggots in her bed!
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 11th October 2015, 07:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Behaved very badly towards his wife, family and friends. Assaulted the promotor of his canyon jump with a baseball bat (for which he went to prison). Turns out the guy was a bit of an arsehole.
MacBlayne, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 11th October 2015, 07:35 PM
Cult Addict

Sicario

I have to admit to being somewhat sceptical about this film going in. I had awful visions of later era Tony scott with stuff like Domino or even that awful Arnie film Sabotage by David Ayer. I'm actually pleased to say director Denis Villeneuve has taken a pretty decent script and really delivered a brilliant little movie that needs to be seen. It stars Emily Blunt as a federal agent working in phoneix and finding her job is involving more and more mopping up after the Mexican cartels, after a grisly raid on a safe house she is enlisted by shady Josh Brolin who is working with the silent but deadly Benicio del Toro. Blunt has reservations going in that get deeper after illigal trips across the border to detain suspects and things just keep getting darker from there.
There is non of the hyper kinetic nausea inducing editing of a lot of films of its type, instead Sicario delivers long beautifully shot takes courtesy of DP Rodger Deakins. Blunt is terrific as the agent in well over her head and Del Toro quietly steals each scene he's in leading up to a quietly horrifying climax. The film feels like the better sort of stuff that hollywood was producing back in the 70's and it has that cynical world weary attitude throughout. The soundtrack is excellent and adds a moody, rumbling tension to the whole film.
Go see it!

Like this? Share it using the links below!