Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2015, 11:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Friday The 13th (1980, Sean S Cunningham)
with the comm.
Basically an Americanised giallo. Something they skate over during the chitter chatter. Though apparently the slasher genre is a haven of gay subtext. You learn something every day.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th October 2015, 04:17 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Mad Max: Fury Road

Shit blows up in futuristic Scrapheap Challenge.
Watched it Saturday night.Great cure for insomnia.

A remake of The Road Warrior with none of the flair or decent characters.
I'm a big fan of Tom Hardy,but listen mate Mel Gibson is Mad Max.
End of.

Add CGI to the mix and tbh,deeply disappointed,especially when all the mags raved about it.

Just cancelled the French steely.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th October 2015, 04:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Watched it Saturday night.Great cure for insomnia.

A remake of The Road Warrior with none of the flair or decent characters.
I'm a big fan of Tom Hardy,but listen mate Mel Gibson is Mad Max.
End of.

Add CGI to the mix and tbh,deeply disappointed,especially when all the mags raved about it.

Just cancelled the French steely.
Surprised there Reaps. I absolutely loved it. Being a Tom Hardy fan have you seen Legend yet?
Old 12th October 2015, 04:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Surprised there Reaps. I absolutely loved it. Being a Tom Hardy fan have you seen Legend yet?
While I didn't think it was bad, I also didn't think it was the masterpiece so many other do. Too overblown, the car chases just get repetitive for for my tastes, about 90% of the film seems be one long car chase. I gibe a 7/10 overall.
Old 12th October 2015, 10:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

CABIN FEVER 3 :PATIENT ZERO – I wasn't a fan of the first one, and I could just about stand the second. 'Cabin Fever 3' remains true to the spirit of mediocrity celebrated by its predecessors. In it, some partying post-teens (at some kind of wedding do I think, although I wasn't really paying attention) end up on island where government scientists are toiling away in an underground lab. They've isolated an asymptomatic carrier of the disease from the first two movies, and he's not very happy about having to hang out in a jumpsuit waiting to be experimented on. Some bits of lack lustre gore follow lots of relationship angst. Sorry, if I write much more about this it'll just be to fill pointless sentences with pointless words when I could just say “'Cabin Fever 3' – it's shit” and leave it at that.

ONE MISSED CALL – Takashi Miike's original. I have vague memories of quite enjoying the remake, cardboard and tone-deaf though it may be (US attempts to re-do J-Horror usually are). Whilst it's not up there with the likes of 'Pulse' and 'Dark Water', both genuinely dark and affecting films, 'One Missed Call' is certainly pretty good stuff. Some students die after their future selves leave messages, recorded at the moment of death, on their mobiles. One such student teams up with the brother of another victim to track down the source of all this bad shit. Miike creates a sombre atmosphere around a bleak theme (child abuse), although the tech-angle seems tacked on and gimmicky. 'One Missed Call' opens strongly with an off hand vibe of spooky imminence, although it meanders a bit midway. The film comes into its own in a few powerful scenes, however – a TV exorcism which borders on hysteria, but also the strange moment when the lead character embraces a rotting ghost and weeps. Japanese horror films often have a strong undercurrent of sadness and melancholy (as opposed to only full on fear and dread) about them, and this is very much the case with 'One Missed Call'. Worth watching.
Old 13th October 2015, 03:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

ONE MISSED CALL – Takashi Miike's original. I have vague memories of quite enjoying the remake, cardboard and tone-deaf though it may be (US attempts to re-do J-Horror usually are). Whilst it's not up there with the likes of 'Pulse' and 'Dark Water', both genuinely dark and affecting films, 'One Missed Call' is certainly pretty good stuff. Some students die after their future selves leave messages, recorded at the moment of death, on their mobiles. One such student teams up with the brother of another victim to track down the source of all this bad shit. Miike creates a sombre atmosphere around a bleak theme (child abuse), although the tech-angle seems tacked on and gimmicky. 'One Missed Call' opens strongly with an off hand vibe of spooky imminence, although it meanders a bit midway. The film comes into its own in a few powerful scenes, however – a TV exorcism which borders on hysteria, but also the strange moment when the lead character embraces a rotting ghost and weeps. Japanese horror films often have a strong undercurrent of sadness and melancholy (as opposed to only full on fear and dread) about them, and this is very much the case with 'One Missed Call'. Worth watching.
Big fan of your reviews Frankie, you always take things from a different perspective angle when reviewing films and it gives quite a fresh view.

I watched this one myself a while back, can't remember if I reviewed it on here, but it really enjoyed it, even if occasionally if did shift the norm for J Horror which is usually quite isolated or a slow spread, with the exorcism scene you mentioned which I thought was fantastic. Interesting you mention Dark Water as well and child abuse, as there seems to be a running theme through a lot of J Horror I watch involving children of some kind, and some kind of neglect. Dark Water was my first J Horror at about 11 or so and that's a decision I regret to this day, scared the absolute shit out of me.

The whole child abuse/trouble thing seems to even go to other countries, as the other night I watched The Tale of Two Sisters, a film I've heard so much about over the years, so the second it came on a local speciality stations app, I watched it as soon as I saw it. And for the most part, I was very confused about how I felt about it all.
Two sisters return with their father from a psychiatric institute to their country home where their step mum waits for them, and tense relations all around as well as occasional strange disturbances and some abusive themes create an all encompassing mystery.
For starters, it's very very slow burn, not only with not much happening, but it's also very low on explanation, score, dialogue, everything. The scenery and atmosphere is rich (the film oozes atmosphere), but not an awful lot happens in the first 20 minutes, and I'd say the first hour has about soemthing seriously spooky happen every 20 minutes and that's it. Despite that, the whole thing is very very eerie, and the spooky stuff that does happen is fairly full on. An interesting approach is taken in the way they set up multiple mysteries and questions, and even at the bit twist 70 minutes or so in, there's still so much time left after, you can't help but keep asking questions. The twists themselves are a bit of stretch, and really ask you to take some liberties in understanding them, but all comes clear in the final 5 minute scene which explains everything, and is so absolutely horrible it's like a punch in the gut
Great performances all round and the direction is fantastic, and the film has such a strong sense of mystery that it never feels very slow or boring, you are left so interested. That being said, I wish I kept a direction or tone, at times it was really strongly psychological horror, and other small intervals were really strong ghost type horror, including one slightly out of place seeming scene right before the end that only makes sense at the end and with a bit of thinking and putting two and two together on the part of the viewers.

In conclusion, Tale of Two Sisters isn't an as straight forward a mystery as One Missed Call or more straight ghost horror like Dark Water, it's more psychological and takes it own course, and isn't kind to the viewers. Overall I gave it an 8/10, but I can't really give it a rating easily, I definitely reccomend it for a watch.

Anyone else have any J Horror reccomendations? Didn't mean to end up writing my review for Tale of Two Sisters here but I did. The Red Shoes is also on the app, I have Suicide Club already, and on my list I have:
Uzumaki and Long Dream being a massive Junji Ito fan
Cure
Pulse
Strange Circus
Kwaidan
Don't Look Up
Seance
Rinne
Marebito
If anyone has seen those and has opinions on them, or any others they think I should watch, let me know

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 13th October 2015, 06:40 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Cure
Pulse
Strange Circus
Kwaidan
Don't Look Up
Seance
Rinne
Marebito
If anyone has seen those and has opinions on them, or any others they think I should watch, let me know
Marebito is odd but entertaining, from the director of the Grudge (also must see as is his film reincarnation) and starring Shinya Tsukomoto (director of Tetsuo Iron man/Bodyhammer and many, many more must see films) Kwaidan is a bona fide classic based on traditional Japanese ghost stories (compiled by and Irish author!) Strange Circus is a genuinely harrowing tale of abuse from Shion Sono (who also directed why don't you play in hell, suicide club, Love Exposure and many more must see films.) Also worth watching from Shion Sono is Norikos Dinner table, a sequel to Suicide club. Theres an anime out called Tokyo shark attack which is an interesting adaptation of Junji Ito's GYO which does a sort of role reversal for the characters. Uzamaki is a great lie action adaptation but runs out of time and money mid way through the story. There is also a collection of Tomie films, a mixed bag but worth seeking out.. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3 - way to expensive! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sr_1_6&sr=8-6) Pulse is another strange bird of a film but well worth watching.

I could talk all day on asian cinema worth seeing. I do want to put one last good word in for Toho's dracula pictures http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sr_1_6&sr=8-6 expensive but essential viewing.
Old 13th October 2015, 07:09 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Marebito is odd but entertaining, from the director of the Grudge (also must see as is his film reincarnation) and starring Shinya Tsukomoto (director of Tetsuo Iron man/Bodyhammer and many, many more must see films) Kwaidan is a bona fide classic based on traditional Japanese ghost stories (compiled by and Irish author!) Strange Circus is a genuinely harrowing tale of abuse from Shion Sono (who also directed why don't you play in hell, suicide club, Love Exposure and many more must see films.) Also worth watching from Shion Sono is Norikos Dinner table, a sequel to Suicide club. Theres an anime out called Tokyo shark attack which is an interesting adaptation of Junji Ito's GYO which does a sort of role reversal for the characters. Uzamaki is a great lie action adaptation but runs out of time and money mid way through the story. There is also a collection of Tomie films, a mixed bag but worth seeking out.. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3 - way to expensive! Tomie Double Feature DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray) Pulse is another strange bird of a film but well worth watching.

I could talk all day on asian cinema worth seeing. I do want to put one last good word in for Toho's dracula pictures Blood Thirsty Trilogy - Limited Edition Legacy of Dracula / Lake of Dracula / Evil of Dracula DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Kayo Matsuo, Akira Nakao, Yukiko Kobayashi, Kaku Takashina, Yoko Minamikaze, Mori Kishida, Choei Takahashi, Sanae Emi, Midori Fujita, Tos expensive but essential viewing.
I'll put Marebito and Kwaidan up the top of the list, with Uzumaki and Pulse not far after.
I have heard about the GYO anime, but for some reason just forgot about it, but should watch it. As for Tomie, I wasn't the biggest fan of the original stories, so maybe I'll give the first one or two a go if I can and see how they go.
I have a lot of Sion Sono and Shinya Tsukumoto films on my watch list, so should probably just work through those at some point. Didn't know Suicide Club has a sequel, will follow that up after watching the first

I used to be massive into Japanese cinema, but it kind of fell away a bit with my final year of school due to not having much time to watch movies, so I wasn't getting too many. However thanks to Arrow's recent Japanese releases, I've found a new interest in them.
keirarts likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 13th October 2015, 07:15 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I'll put Marebito and Kwaidan up the top of the list, with Uzumaki and Pulse not far after.
I have heard about the GYO anime, but for some reason just forgot about it, but should watch it. As for Tomie, I wasn't the biggest fan of the original stories, so maybe I'll give the first one or two a go if I can and see how they go.
I have a lot of Sion Sono and Shinya Tsukumoto films on my watch list, so should probably just work through those at some point. Didn't know Suicide Club has a sequel, will follow that up after watching the first

I used to be massive into Japanese cinema, but it kind of fell away a bit with my final year of school due to not having much time to watch movies, so I wasn't getting too many. However thanks to Arrow's recent Japanese releases, I've found a new interest in them.
I got into the subject courtesy of Tartans asia extreme label. That Tomie set was £2.97 when I bought it, they are loose adaptations and some of them pretty decent.

I would also add any Takeshi miike (including Gozu, visior Q ect) Onibaba and Kuroneko.
Demoncrat and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 13th October 2015, 08:41 AM
Cult Veteran

The Final Girls

Admittedly my interest in this movie was purely due to Nina Dobrev and being a big fan of seasons 1-3 of Vampire Diaries. I was pleasantly surprised by this homage to 80s slasher pics which has it's tongue planted firmly in cheek for it's 90 minutes.

Max's mom was the star of fictional 80's movie Camp Bloodbath (essentially Friday 13th) but was never a breakout star due to her being a scream queen. On the way back from a casting, in the car with her daughter, they have an accident and she dies. Cut to 3 years later and anniversary of her death, Max's best friends brother hosts a Camp Bloodbath screening at the local cinema in honour of the late star's memory!

In a Final Destination-esque series of bizarre coincidences the cinema catches fire to the sound of almost Goblin music which made me think of Demons. To escape the fire Max and her friends head to the screen to access the fire exit behind it, cutting through the movie as it's running and when they come through the door on the other side they find themselves inside Camp Bloodbath!

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one as much as I did, it was a toss up of this or Cooties last night but the latter is getting universally panned so I gave it a miss. It turns out that the film makers of The Final Girls obviously love 80's horror flicks and they want everyone else to know it. Yes, it's silly but it doesn't pretend it's anything else, and being PG-13 it's got no gore in it and it saves its allowance of 1 swear word for the end to pack a punch and a laugh.

Give it a go with an open mind and a shared love of Jason and you might be surprised like I was.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!