Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179458Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2015, 04:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I really like both Rob Zombie Halloween's. Yeah, he turned Michael Myers into an actual character, not just a faceless Shape like Carpenter created, but that doesn't bother me, I was happy for the change considering how much the franchise had declined in recent years (not including H20, which I think breathed new life into the series).

I much prefer them than the F13 remake or whatever it is
Aye, as do I. They're a different beast to Carpenter's film, swapping tension for violence, but they're never dull and actually quite stylish at times. I think Zombie's first film struggles when it becomes more of a straight remake, but for a lot of it's runtime it's an interesting little film.
Rik, MacBlayne and keirarts like this.
Old 25th October 2015, 05:54 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Excellent reviews, keirarts. I really don't like Rob Zombie's Halloween films because, unlike John Carpenter's film, he spends more time making Michael Myers interesting than developing the characters of anyone he kills.

The best slasher films have either fully developed or complete mystery killers and people who are well-rounded so, when they die, it actually means something to the viewer – in the case of Zombie's Halloween films this isn't the case.
Gold6082, Rik, MacBlayne and 2 others like this.
Old 25th October 2015, 05:59 PM
Cult Addict

Escape From New York hasn't aged very well, has it? It's delirious, high octane, insanely fun and entertaining. But by god it doesn't half look shitter than I remembered!
keirarts likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 25th October 2015, 07:02 PM
Cult Addict

Thanks for the feedback y'all. I should clarify that I don't think Rob Zombies Halloween's are perfect remakes as they don't surpass the originals. I do think they are better films than some give them credit for. Part 2 and his subsequent film lords of Salem manage to dig up some genuinely great, surreal imagery that really appeals to me.
Old 25th October 2015, 07:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Like others I really enjoyed Zombies, Halloween films and they are a lot better than most of the sequels. I might even watch the first one after I finish sleepy hollow
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th October 2015, 07:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Like others I really enjoyed Zombies, Halloween films and they are a lot better than most of the sequels. I might even watch the first one after I finish sleepy hollow
The scary thing for me is i hated Zombie's Halloween II both times i've viewed it but Keirarts makes me want to give it another go.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 25th October 2015, 07:27 PM
Cult Veteran

Just got back from the cinema after seeing Jodorowsky's Dune. I really enjoyed it, I can tell as much because upon getting home all I want to do is find out more about it!

After a quick intro to Jodo, as he likes to be called we find out, it launches headlong into the historical pre-production of Dune. How he came up with his dream-team crew and how he wrote the screenplay and fully storyboarded all 90 scenes!

His enthusiasm is contagious and everyone involved seems to be just as enthusiastic. Interviews with Giger, Giraud and his producer Seydoux are all in depth and interesting.

It's a shame it never got made, but it's a good excuse to go back to his canon of work and re-watch El Topo, Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre.

Has anyone seen Dance of Reality?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th October 2015, 07:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The scary thing for me is i hated Zombie's Halloween II both times i've viewed it but Keirarts makes me want to give it another go.
Same here. It's also rare to find a film where Malcolm McDowell is not worth watching, so there's always that.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th October 2015, 08:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Ace Ventura - Pet Detective. Stupid but fun.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 25th October 2015, 09:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I was back in London over the weekend for Frightfest's Halloween event. Moving from the traditional all-nighter format to an all day event had the advantage that I didn't sleep through any of the films this year.

Lazer Team was a dumb but fun super-hero (?) action film in which a group of 4 losers accidentally shoot down a U.F.O., steal an alien super-hero suit and become the Earths champions in a fight for the future of the planet. Great fun and a good warm up for the day.

Next we had an extended introduction from an ordained minister and horror fan on the subject of exorcism followed by The Vatican Tapes, which is best described as inoffensive.

The Unspoken was much better, a young girl is employed as a nanny in a haunted/malevolent house. I wasn't impressed by the ending and saw the punchline of the final visual gag coming. But it was pretty effective with a few jump in your seat moments.

I skipped Momentum, I saw it back in August and wasn't overly impressed. This gave me time to go and eat a proper meal at Lima Floral which I heartily recommend.

Returning to the films next up was the world premiere of Belly of the Bulldog which plays a lot like A Field in England, but with tanks and aliens. My favourite film of the day, I can't wait for the opportunity to see this one again.

The final film of the day was I spit on your grave 3, which takes the whole rape-revenge to the next logical step. There were some pretty graphic, leg crossing, scenes. I liked it.

So again no really bad films, but nothing outstanding either.

Just one festival left this year December's White Nights in Berlin. Announced films include Baskin, Bone Tomahawk, Evolution and February - so its shaping up well.

Like this? Share it using the links below!