Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2015, 05:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Black Cat (1934)

Horror doesn't get much better than The Black Cat. This landmark achievement was the first to double bill Karloff and Lugosi and it's debatable whether either have ever bettered themselves. Lugosi is so sympathetic, never resorting to the hammy style that would blight his later work. Boris Karloff on the other hand has never portrayed evil so magnificently. His performance as the satanist Poelzig is perhaps more Crowley than Poe but it's a performance of pure menace.

From an aesthetic point of view the film is a triumph. From the superb direction of Edgar G Ulmer, to the stunning classical score to the extraordinary Art Deco set design and all topped off by some of the most notorious censor baiting potency of the 30's - torture, drugs, necrophilia, and the final, almost poetic, skinning sequence.

The Black Cat is an eerie, nightmarish masterpiece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black_cat_1934_poster.preview.jpg (75.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th October 2015, 05:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

the final, almost poetic, skinning sequence.
Surely one of the most violent and sadistic scenes ever committed to celluloid.
Old 30th October 2015, 12:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE APE (MONOGRAM 1940)

Dr Boris Karloff wears the skin of an escaped ape to murder people for their spinal fluid. The fluid is an experiment, which when injected into a girl will enable her to walk again.....
The appearance of Boris in this Poverty Row horror makes this stand tall above other cheap horrors.
Old 30th October 2015, 07:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

SS EXPERIMENT CAMP
Sadistic experiments on ( mostly female ) prisoners abound in this entry in the Nazisploitation genre. Needless to say, none of these experiments make any sense, but are used as an excuse to throw in plenty of gratuitous nudity.
One of the many things I like about 88 Films Italian Collection is their willingness to unleash previously unavailable ( or rare ) movies like this on blu ray.

THE BLACK CAT
Regarded as one of Fulci's lesser efforts, I've always had a soft spot for this one. Watching it again on Arrow's truly stunning blu ray, makes me appreciate it even more. It's beautifully photographed and directed and has a wonderful soundtrack too. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite Fulci flicks.
Old 31st October 2015, 03:22 PM
Cultist

Just watched Westworld and Hands of the Ripper today. I don't think there's much I could say about Westworld that's not already been said but it certainly lived up to it's hype.

Hands Of The Ripper was also pretty good and quite gruesome for a Hammer horror. I have the Synapse version for reasons I'm not quite sure of when there's a perfectly decent looking UK release out there. Oh well!

I'm pretty worn out so gonna stick on Nemesis now. Can't say I'm looking forward to it too much but I guess I'm not so bothered if I fall asleep halfway through
Old 31st October 2015, 03:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryd View Post
I'm pretty worn out so gonna stick on Nemesis now. Can't say I'm looking forward to it too much but I guess I'm not so bothered if I fall asleep halfway through
Is that the Albert Pyun Nemesis?
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st October 2015, 03:38 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
That's the one!
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.
Old 31st October 2015, 03:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I like that.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 31st October 2015, 03:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like that.
Nemesis is like a live-action 80s anime. Especially if you see it in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st October 2015, 03:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Nemesis is like a live-action 80s anime. Especially if you see it in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
I just have it on an old dvd.

Like this? Share it using the links below!