Old 22nd November 2015, 07:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Muppet Treasure Island is ace!
Yes it is. I also really like The Fox and the Hound.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd November 2015, 09:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Its a return to Shameless Sundays for a while:

#22 - Love Goddess of the Cannibals (1978) Didn't bore me and certainly kept my attention however that theme just keeps playing through my head!
Old 22nd November 2015, 10:15 PM
Cult Addict

The Expendables 3. Stallone and his boys shoot and punch and stab a lot of badguys. Plot? No idea...but Mel Gibson's a badguy.
I really liked it, best of the three. Manages to hit a nice mix between the serious tone of the original and the slightly silly of the second.

Is it just me or these days does Mel Gibson play nutter just a little too well?
Old 22nd November 2015, 10:51 PM
Cult Addict

Still in a Yakuza frame of mind so watched ....

Massacre gun

Hamster cheeked Jo Shishido plays mob hitman Kuroda who is forced to kill his mistress by his boss. Realising what a heartless son of a bitch he is, and backed up by his brothers who have also been screwed over by the boss Kuroda decides to go to war. After some initial successes the war begins to get dirty with plenty of double crosses and betrayals. Eventually he faces off against the mobs remaining men on an empty freeway in order to settle things for good.
Coming a few years prior to the game changing Battles without honour or humanity massacre gun comes from Nikkatsu studios who cranked out a huge number of titles each year for their theatres. Therefore its a little more formulaic than Battles, however its not a film to write off as its still got plenty of style and attitude to recommend it. Shot in stark black & white, more an indication that the studio didn't consider it one of their A titles than any direct stylistic choice, (colour was reserved for their 'diamond stars') its delivers a noir style thriller chock full of Jazz and brutal violence. Stylistically it feels like a cross between the work of Sam Fuller and Don Siegel with a startling ending that really really delivers the goods.

Retaliation

Akira Kobayashi plays a Yakuza fresh out of Jail finding his 'family' decimated and the brother of the man he killed (played by ol hamster cheeks himself Jo Shishido) however grudges must be set to one side as Akira is offered a gig in a small out the way town where a new factory is being built bringing fresh opportunities. The only downer is the two rival families feuding over the land are having no luck whatsoever in getting the local farmers to sign away the line. Akira, with Shishido in tow must head to the town, get the signatures and take care of the local gangs which he does with some success. Things never go entirely to plan and our young thugs success prompts his new Yakuza bosses to decide to take things over. Royally pissed Akira and Jo go to war against their bosses leading to a bloody conclusion.
Given Kobayashi's popularity, Nikkatsu shell out here for full colour and the violence is as bloody as ever as the film delivers plenty of Yakuza on Yakuza violence mixed in with a tale of the importance of respecting rural traditions.

Youth of the beast

More Nikkatsu action. This one from director Seijun Suzuki who was almost as prolific as Jess Franco but as the 60's kicked in began to develop a style thjat would culminate in Tokyo drifter, widely considered one of his greatest artistic achievements (and one I'll watch tomorrow night when i'm not so tired)
Jo 'Hamster cheeks' Shishido is back as a thug who ends up working for a sadist Yakuza and his pimp brother. Jo begins to work for his rival as well and begins to play one side against another. It quickly becomes apparent Jo is looking for his friends killer and is using the mob to get the information he needs.
The ever present brutal violence is present as usual but Youth actually manages to stand out from other Yakuza flicks of the 60's and feels like a dry run for drifter. Surreal psychedelic backdrops, odd surrealistic thugs with gun fetishes, vivid colour scheme with each frame looking frankly beautiful. It feels like Mario Bava and Sam Fuller teamed up to deliver a crime movie. youth is well worth checking out.
Old 23rd November 2015, 07:29 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Addams Family. Amusing early 90s comic updating of the classic 60s show. Slight but fun, buoyed by the absolutely spot-on casting. Christina Ricci steals the show as Wednesday.
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Its a return to Shameless Sundays for a while:

#22 - Love Goddess of the Cannibals (1978) Didn't bore me and certainly kept my attention however that theme just keeps playing through my head!
I'm really enjoyed Papaya. Many of those jungle/cannibal films can be extraordinarily dull I find, and while Papaya doesn't do much out of the ordinary, it had a pervasive atmosphere of isolation and impending doom that stuck with me, and Sirpa Lane is always very watchable. I'm often harder on these films than the average exploitation fan, but I think its current 4.5 IMDB rating is kinda unfair.
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Fox and the Hound (1981)

An underrated Disney effort with enjoyable animal characters and one i loved as a child. I was ten when it came out and times were simpler back then. Kurt Russell voices the Hound, Copper.

Muppet Treasure Island (1996)

There's a lot of fun to be had with this one and it should appeal to both young and old. Basically the Muppet take on Stevenson's Treasure Island. Loads of jokes and not too many songs.

Van Wilder: Freshman Year (2009)

Prequel to the excellent Van Wilder. Although Jonathan Bennett is no Ryan Reynolds, he still makes for a likable Wilder. Whilst no classic the film has plenty of funny moments, including grossness, a fair bit of T&A and a nice take on army war games for the finale. If you enjoy high school comedies i'd say give this a go.

Whilst none of these films are poor, their Cult Labs appeal will be fairly minimal i would think.
Let's be honest - if it has Tim Curry in it, then most here will be interested.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Still in a Yakuza frame of mind so watched ....

Massacre gun

Hamster cheeked Jo Shishido plays mob hitman Kuroda who is forced to kill his mistress by his boss. Realising what a heartless son of a bitch he is, and backed up by his brothers who have also been screwed over by the boss Kuroda decides to go to war. After some initial successes the war begins to get dirty with plenty of double crosses and betrayals. Eventually he faces off against the mobs remaining men on an empty freeway in order to settle things for good.
Coming a few years prior to the game changing Battles without honour or humanity massacre gun comes from Nikkatsu studios who cranked out a huge number of titles each year for their theatres. Therefore its a little more formulaic than Battles, however its not a film to write off as its still got plenty of style and attitude to recommend it. Shot in stark black & white, more an indication that the studio didn't consider it one of their A titles than any direct stylistic choice, (colour was reserved for their 'diamond stars') its delivers a noir style thriller chock full of Jazz and brutal violence. Stylistically it feels like a cross between the work of Sam Fuller and Don Siegel with a startling ending that really really delivers the goods.

Retaliation

Akira Kobayashi plays a Yakuza fresh out of Jail finding his 'family' decimated and the brother of the man he killed (played by ol hamster cheeks himself Jo Shishido) however grudges must be set to one side as Akira is offered a gig in a small out the way town where a new factory is being built bringing fresh opportunities. The only downer is the two rival families feuding over the land are having no luck whatsoever in getting the local farmers to sign away the line. Akira, with Shishido in tow must head to the town, get the signatures and take care of the local gangs which he does with some success. Things never go entirely to plan and our young thugs success prompts his new Yakuza bosses to decide to take things over. Royally pissed Akira and Jo go to war against their bosses leading to a bloody conclusion.
Given Kobayashi's popularity, Nikkatsu shell out here for full colour and the violence is as bloody as ever as the film delivers plenty of Yakuza on Yakuza violence mixed in with a tale of the importance of respecting rural traditions.

Youth of the beast

More Nikkatsu action. This one from director Seijun Suzuki who was almost as prolific as Jess Franco but as the 60's kicked in began to develop a style thjat would culminate in Tokyo drifter, widely considered one of his greatest artistic achievements (and one I'll watch tomorrow night when i'm not so tired)
Jo 'Hamster cheeks' Shishido is back as a thug who ends up working for a sadist Yakuza and his pimp brother. Jo begins to work for his rival as well and begins to play one side against another. It quickly becomes apparent Jo is looking for his friends killer and is using the mob to get the information he needs.
The ever present brutal violence is present as usual but Youth actually manages to stand out from other Yakuza flicks of the 60's and feels like a dry run for drifter. Surreal psychedelic backdrops, odd surrealistic thugs with gun fetishes, vivid colour scheme with each frame looking frankly beautiful. It feels like Mario Bava and Sam Fuller teamed up to deliver a crime movie. youth is well worth checking out.
I wrote reviews for a website a while back for Massacre Gun and Retaliation. Massacre Gun was a cracker. The climax is what 2.35:1 framing was invented for.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:27 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Let's be honest - if it has Tim Curry in it, then most here will be interested.
Personally i'd be more interested if it had a chicken curry in it.
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Personally i'd be more interested if it had a chicken curry in it.
Everybody needs a little Curry in their diet.

Like this? Share it using the links below!