Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2015, 03:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
One of those cases where a review would be helpful.
Saw this recently after buying Eureka's release. Well worth watching.

Watched Bob Clark's Deathdream aka Dead of Night last night and was somewhat blown away buy it. Meant to watch it ever since seeing it on a book entitled 101 Horror Films You See Before You Die my dad bought me years ago.

Not as good as Black Christmas but it gives it a damn good run for it's money. Brilliant performances all around and a very strong story, with an equally strong message on the effects of the Vietnam war on individuals and society. The gritty, low-budget nature of the piece also greatly aids the film much like the grimy, documentary style of the original TCM adds to its effect. Would love Arrow to do a good release of Deathdream.

Anyone else seen it?

Last edited by Buboven; 7th December 2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old 6th December 2015, 05:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sabotage (2014)

Probably the worst film of Arnold Schwarzenegger's career. This action film about a squad of corrupt DEA agents led by Schwarzenegger, is populated with unmemorable and unlikable one dimensional characters who go round calling each other mother****er for the film's duration or until they are offed by a mysterious assassin.

Whilst the action sequences are okay that's as far as it goes, the rest of Sabotage is just poorly scripted formulaic dullness that had me clock watching after 25 minutes. Even Arnie himself seems to be sleepwalking throughout, which was a shame because i thoroughly enjoyed his recent turns in The Last Stand, Escape Plan and The Expendables series.

Shit blows up but i really didn't care.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 332786.jpg (99.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th December 2015, 06:59 PM
Cult Addict

You don't like Yabba?! Who doesn't like the Yabba!
Ted Kotchefs Wake In Fright, still processing.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 6th December 2015, 07:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Christmas Horror Marathon #2

Demon Legacy (2014)

Five college girls spend the weekend in a remote mountain lodge. During a late night drinking spree they play with a Ouija board and unwittingly unleash an evil force.

Coming over as an Evil Dead rip off, which during the final twenty minutes veers into Rambo territory with the introduction of a countryside demon slayer, the film tries too hard to be scary but fails as it struggles to build up any tension. The demons are released and possess their victims without any real build up, it sort of just happens rather than as a suspenseful set piece for example.

There's also an over reliance on CGI. The effects work well in subtler sequences but less well during the demonic rampages. I did laugh at one of the deaths i have to admit. A guy staggers into a room with a bottle of Jack Daniels stuck in the top of his head. The camera pans behind him and the bottle begins to glug empty, cue a pan to the front and the whisky spills out of his open mouth.

Demon Legacy is watchable enough but the end result is a film that is merely okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91uC4hcuv+L._SL1500_.jpg (98.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 6th December 2015, 08:22 PM
Cult Addict

Tower of Evil

Coastal set Brit grot with two long haired layabouts killing off dope smoking dollybirds and er, long haired layabouts.

This cranks up the nudity and gore in the first half in some sort of post psychedelic mash up that works very well before the film settles down into more normal stalk and slash behaviour. Also contains a giant statue of Gonzo from the Muppets for some unexplainable reason. Recommended.
Old 6th December 2015, 10:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Tower of Evil

Coastal set Brit grot with two long haired layabouts killing off dope smoking dollybirds and er, long haired layabouts.

This cranks up the nudity and gore in the first half in some sort of post psychedelic mash up that works very well before the film settles down into more normal stalk and slash behaviour. Also contains a giant statue of Gonzo from the Muppets for some unexplainable reason. Recommended.
Excellent film! I'd never heard of this one before Odeon put it out.
Old 6th December 2015, 10:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Excellent film! I'd never heard of this one before Odeon put it out.
It used to be on TV quite a bit at one point but it never looked as good as the new blu does.
Old 6th December 2015, 11:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002) A little on the long side but apart from the duff title, (of which the first one suffered also) again it isn't too bad...although having said that everytime I see Yoda go up against Lee I just see Kermit flying around!
Old 6th December 2015, 11:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Lone Ranger (2013)

Terrific action western from the team behind The Pirates of the Caribbean.

Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer are outstanding as Tonto and the Lone Ranger in a movie that surprised me with it's levels of violence, mixed in with light hearted comedy in a film reminiscent of A wild west Indiana Jones .

No matter what you think of the bulk of the movie, when Rossini's William Tell Overture kicks in during the thrilling last half hour and director Gore Verbinski wows us with a hell of a finale aboard two runaway trains you're bound to be grinning like a Cheshire cat. Well i was anyway.

Absolutely loved it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Lone-Ranger.jpg (98.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 6th December 2015, 11:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002) A little on the long side but apart from the duff title, (of which the first one suffered also) again it isn't too bad...although having said that everytime I see Yoda go up against Lee I just see Kermit flying around!
I find this easily the worst of the six movies to date.
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!