LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2015, 07:40 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Star wars episode VII: The Force awakensWell, given the hype I was braced for disappointment. George Lucas has been f*****g me over for years. Not just with the prequels that showed a director who had seriously lost whatever mojo he'd had back in the 70's (and a talented editor for a wife) but also coming back to tinker with the originals over and over. Thankfully his grubby mits are no where near this one and as a result I'm glad to say this was the most entertaining film I've seen all year, narrowly edging out Turbo kid.

Too right! Even reading all the major details/spoilers before I saw it this afternoon, it still blew me away. Roll on Episode VIII!
Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 20th December 2015, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran

I loved it too, I think I'm going to go again after Christmas
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th December 2015, 07:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just got back from seeing Star Wars again just as much fun as the first time I saw it, will be watching it again after Christmas /New Year
Old 20th December 2015, 08:01 PM
Cultist in Training

UNKNOWN ISLAND (1948). Hero Richard Denning (the Jack Driscoll of this film) and sexy Virginia Grey travel with a group of unappealing people to a remote lost world, where dinosaurs (men in rubber suits) roam and one giant ape monster (man in hairy suit) fight the dinos all day. While it's not really the greatest lost world type film ever, it's actually a very lively and entertaining little film shot in colour which seems a bit wasted as it's a rather dull limited palette. Definitely worth seeing.
Old 20th December 2015, 09:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Shameless:
#26 - Escape from the Bronx (1983) - More 80's trashiness and where as 'The Bronx Warriors' last week didn't keep my attention, this one did. Better than the original and a good movie.

Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (1980 Originally) - The best picture in the entire franchise (still yet to see Episode VII). I think its an over simplification to say it has a darker tone it just has a better 'edge to it'.

Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi (1983) Originally) - That 'edge' is still there...almost. Although if the Ewoks were massacred and their parts sent to 'Build a Bear' shops it would make a better film!
Old 20th December 2015, 11:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Recent watches include a rewatch of Alien, this time the Director's cut, which I hadn't seen before. Made me appreciate it more than the theatrical version which is the only one I ever see, when it is often on Film or Channel 4.

Giving it a higher rating as previously, a 9/10.

Also had a first time watch of The Addam's Family (1991) and loved it. Just my kind of black but witty and dry humour. That also gets a 9/10.
Old 21st December 2015, 10:39 AM
Cult Veteran

Thundercrack! (1975)

Oh my, what did I watch... The story is pretty flimsy and the acting is questionable, but there is something to this film that keeps you hooked. It's like watching an art school experiment, filmed with noir-ish lighting it looks beautiful and the framing of each scene is likened to looking at still photography. However the dialogue is very un-natural and contains more exposition than an episode of Dawson's Creek

Put all of that together with various scenes of masturbation, and hardcore sex between woman and woman, man and man, man and woman, and a gorilla... makes this film unlike anything else I have ever seen, and it will definately put me off eating a peeled cucumber any time soon!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st December 2015, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just got in from watching that new film everyone is talking about, with the Jedi's etc.
Wow, J.J Abrams has done us proud, nothing short of spectacular!

Gonna try get another couple of viewings in before I go back to work and the kids go back to school
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st December 2015, 02:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

With all these positive reviews on here I am salivating to see this now. I don't usually trust press reviews but the peeps on here know their onions when it comes to critiquing films. Roll on the 27th.
Old 21st December 2015, 02:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Anvil: The Story of Anvil (2008)

A going concern since 1978, Anvil are a heavy metal band who in 1982 released Metal on Metal, an album recognized as influencing and inspiring the likes of Metallica and Anthrax. Despite this they remained commercially unsuccessful and struggled through the decades despite releasing 12 albums.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil is a documentary that looks at a loss making European tour and the trials and tribulations of self producing their 13th album. Concentrating on singer Steve 'Lips' Kudlow and drummer Robb Reiner the bands two constant members and friends since they were children, the film is a heartwarming story of friendship and a life long attempt to achieve success against all the odds.

The European tour that forms the first third of the film is a disaster. Ruined by terrible management of the band and dodgy venue chiefs in Eastern Europe unwilling to pay the band their fees night after night. Some of this is so sad it's almost tragic. Seeing the band perform to 174 people in a 10,000 capacity venue verges on the pathetic, yet it's also remarkably funny as well. All through this the guys try to keep positive sure that success will eventually find them.

The rest of the film follows the guys as they attempt to make the album and get it out to the fans. Despite snagging a favour from acclaimed producer Chris Tsangarides and recording the album in England, record companies don't want to know and all seems lost.

Then a Japanese fan from their early days hears the album and invites them to Japan to play a metal festival which the band jump at only to discover they are opening the show at the unearthly hour of 11.30 am.

What follows is a definite bottom lip wobbling moment as the band, unprepared for what's to come, take the stage in front of ten thousand screaming fans.

Terrific stuff, this is highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anvil_quad.jpg (47.7 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!