Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2015, 11:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY (1979)

Theatrical version of what was to become the pilot tv episodes 'Awakening' parts 1 and 2.
Moving the film to the tv, some adjustments were made. There were some cuts to the more adult dialogue and a more happy ending was added to the tv version so that the following series would flow better. As a result the tv version runs slightly longer than this theatrical cut.
One major difference that the theatrical cut has, is the opening titles and song. Apart from the change in opening narration, the movie has great sexy titles featuring Pamela Hensley, Erin Grey and other assorted girls.
Great stuff. I'll be in my bunk !
For the theatrical opening, go here..as users will not allow you to paste vids on other sites.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 26th December 2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Fixed the link
Old 26th December 2015, 07:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Christmas Horror Marathon #18

Bonnie & Clyde vs. Dracula (2008)

During the early part of the twentieth century, following a failed heist, Bonnie and Clyde hole up in a backwater town where the residents are slowly disappearing after visiting a mansion on the hillside.

Lets get this out of the way first. I only bought this as it stars the wonderful Tiffany Shepis. It could have been terrible it could have been brilliant. Thankfully it was somewhere in between.

Very low budget but showing ambition in spades, the film is an enjoyable romp. Dracula, for it is he who is brought back to life and resides in the mansion, is a lot of fun as is the Frankenstein like doctor who brings him back (Although he appears more monster than misguided doctor, especially with his wearing a cloth sack on his head). There's plenty of low budget gore on offer and the film features several Tommy gun shoot outs.

The pacing lets things down every so often. Some scenes go on far too long and the film as a whole could have done with a snappier editing process, but that's one of the problems with low budget cinema.

The acting generally was decent, Trent Haaga made for a believable Clyde and Shepis was excellent as Bonnie. Sneery and snarly yet also vulnerable, but utterly murderous too.

The film overall was bizarre at times, the Dracula mansion home to some weird and wonderful creations. The films mix and match genre mash up giving some entertaining oddness in a decent bit of low budget nonsense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bcvd_w_lg2_{c9e58fbe-5ea6-e311-b062-d4ae527c3b65}.jpg (88.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 26th December 2015, 08:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Gremlins. You don't get more Christmassy than that.
Old 26th December 2015, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Gremlins. You don't get more Christmassy than that.
Cheers I was trying to decide what to watch tonight
keirarts and iank like this.
Old 27th December 2015, 12:03 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Jurassic World (2015)

After half an hour i was about to turn this off. A characterless film full of annoying kids and whining women. Not only that but the story just seemed a half arsed mixture of the previous three films, with added stupidity and cliches. Unfortunately the story stayed this way but ‎Bryce Dallas Howard replaced the whining with screaming which was a little more tolerable. Were there no actual actors they could find for this film? It seemed that way. Tea Leoni all is forgiven.

Fortunately i didn't switch off and i'm pleased i didn't as the second half was gripping stuff. The final showdown between the new INGEN creation, Indominus Rex (Actual scientific name - Pointlesscgiwasteoftime) and the Raptors and T-Rex was quite breathtaking, edge of the seat stuff.

Difficult to recommend as that opening hour is so shit but that second hour is so much better...tough one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jurassic-world-poster-dino-chris-pratt.jpg (94.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 27th December 2015, 01:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Jurassic World (2015)

After half an hour i was about to turn this off. A characterless film full of annoying kids and whining women. Not only that but the story just seemed a half arsed mixture of the previous three films, with added stupidity and cliches. Unfortunately the story stayed this way but ‎Bryce Dallas Howard replaced the whining with screaming which was a little more tolerable. Were there no actual actors they could find for this film? It seemed that way. Tea Leoni all is forgiven.

Fortunately i didn't switch off and i'm pleased i didn't as the second half was gripping stuff. The final showdown between the new INGEN creation, Indominus Rex (Actual scientific name - Pointlesscgiwasteoftime) and the Raptors and T-Rex was quite breathtaking, edge of the seat stuff.

Difficult to recommend as that opening hour is so shit but that second hour is so much better...tough one!
But its got dinosaurs in it! I actually really enjoyed this
keirarts, trebor8273 and J Harker like this.
Old 27th December 2015, 01:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

I thought it was passable, but I don't see me buying it. Might as well just watch the original again if I'm that desperate for dinos.
Old 27th December 2015, 09:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

633 SQUADRON (1964)

RAF 633 Squadron are given the task of attacking a German V2 rocket fuel plant. The only approach to the plant is through a dangerous valley of mountains and by blowing up the overhead rocks, the plan is that the resulting avalanche will destroy the base....
Based on various true WWII missions this is great stuff, helped along by Ron Goodwin's familiar score. Several real flying Mosquito bombers were used along with some good model work.
Old 27th December 2015, 09:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's been a long time since I saw 633 Squadron but, as you said, it has one of the greatest and most widely known musical themes of any war film.

I should really add it to my Lovefilm rental queue.

In terms of memorable scores for World War II movies, The Dam Busters March is a brilliant composition as well.

Old 27th December 2015, 10:35 AM
Cult Veteran

Since I got the Bond set for Christmas I started my viewing from the beginning with Dr. No, a film I've never seen before! Bond for me had always been Moore and i'd never seen a reason to think otherwise. However I was pleased to find that I loved this film a great deal, the story itself is thin but the drama is good and the action exciting and I found it very amusing how much the camera loves Connery, zooming in on his biceps and hairy chest as often as possible!

Great film, I'll watch the next in the series this afternoon /evening.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!