Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2015, 04:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Wolf Creek 2

I really enjoyed the first Wolf Creek film when it came out and thought Mick Taylor was a great baddy character, so I've been keen to see the second instalment since it came out. Why it took me so long I don't know, but hey ho.

The film starts out with a short but completely brutal opening scene and a hard hitting torture killing and from there descends into even deeper madness. Mick Taylor steals the scene whenever he appears, but I didn't enjoy watching him as much this time. He was almost a parody of himself, and they've introduced a sexual motive for his kidnaps which I don't think was touched upon in the first.

I felt the first film played well with claustrophobic aspects, but the sequel makes more use of the wilderness of the Australian outback and has some pretty far out over the top scenes which could only ever happen in extreme isolation.

The film builds up and builds up and, I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but ended, I felt, on a real anti climax and I was disappointed. Overall I enjoyed most of the film but not for the story this time, more for the action and the gore. It lasts 1:45 which is a wee bitty too long for something as brutal and bleak as this. The senses can only absorb so much!!
Old 29th December 2015, 05:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Lemmy (2010)

24 December 1945 – 28 December 2015

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 29th December 2015, 08:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Christmas Horror Marathon #22

Venom (1971)

A bizarre British oddity set in Austria involving a mystical spider, a nymphet running in the woods, neo-Nazis and chemical weapons.

Thankfully filmed in the Tyrol rather than trying to pass waste ground two miles north of London as the Alps, the film has a great location and a wonderfully chilling atmosphere to it even though it doesn't quite know what sort of film it wants to be.

The story seems to take an age to get to the real plot regarding spider venom being made into deadly nerve toxin and there's a lot of running through the woods to get to this point, yet the film is never dull as there are so many random acts of sex and violence that spice up proceedings as we go along.

Stylish and yet clumsy at the same time, Venom is one of those films that definitely needs a second viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg venom2.jpg (89.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 29th December 2015, 09:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

I didn't know there were two Brit movies called Venom! I was thinking of the early 80s one with Oliver Reed with the hostage situation and the deadly snake in the house that the shop accidentally gave the kid instead of the harmless one!
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th December 2015, 09:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Strange Case Of Dr Jekyll And Miss Osborne. Superb.
Old 29th December 2015, 09:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Was going up-to the loft and a box a VHS tapes fall on my head and this was one of the films in the box.

Misfits of science
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451425747.818108.jpg

It's the pilot of a short lived to series from 1985, which is about a group of mutants brought together by a scientist to stop the test of a deadly nuclear weapon. The team members are the scientist, his best friend another scientist who experimented on himself and is able to shrink himself, an ex rock star who can shoot electricity, a man that is a human Popsicle and can freeze almost anything and a young girl with telekinetic powers (played by a jail bait Courtney Cox). Highly enjoyable in a cheesy 80s way. Will now have to see if I can find the rest of the series.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451425359.841891.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451425368.280155.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451425376.514940.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451425401.961526.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451425417.797940.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451425424.395146.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451425433.533525.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451425442.279375.jpg

Next up the colossus of New York
Old 29th December 2015, 11:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Portrait of Alison (1955)

A classy British mystery thriller that should appeal to film noir fans. The plot is far too intricate to go into in a short review, but not one that becomes convoluted. Suffice to say Portrait of Alison is an intriguing film that keeps you guessing as the pacy plot unveils it's secrets. Meaning you'll be gripped throughout as i was.

Well acted by Robert Beatty, William Sylvester and Geoffrey Keen as a disbelieving police chief, the film pulls you in from the off and never lets go until the final pay off. Although a B-picture the film is well made and throws a couple of well staged fight sequences our way among the twists and turns.

As is nearly always the case, Network's anamorphic widescreen dvd is of superior quality.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Portrait of Alison1.jpg (62.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 29th December 2015, 11:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cat Girl (1957) Part of Networks 'The British Film' Collection. It starts out a little like 'The Old Dark House' (1932) with literally an old out of the way house in the middle of a storm. Barbara Shelley has been invited to take up her inheritance by her Uncle, unbeknownst to her said inheritance also includes the family curse, that of becoming a cat, (or leopard in this case). Not physically becoming the animal more a joining of minds! Anyway the action moves to London when Ms Shelly is institutionalized by the Doctor she has the hots for. However the Doc's girlfriend is in the way and so Ms Shelley attempts to do away with her so she can finally get her claws into her man. But not all go to plan! The films a little slow and has been done since and better. The highlight of the movie is Shelley's turning from frightened women to scheming feline being reminiscent of her turn from frightened women to hissing vampire in 'Dracula Prince of Darkness' (1966).
Old 29th December 2015, 11:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Cat Girl (1957) Part of Networks 'The British Film' Collection. It starts out a little like 'The Old Dark House' (1932) with literally an old out of the way house in the middle of a storm. Barbara Shelley has been invited to take up her inheritance by her Uncle, unbeknownst to her said inheritance also includes the family curse, that of becoming a cat, (or leopard in this case). Not physically becoming the animal more a joining of minds! Anyway the action moves to London when Ms Shelly is institutionalized by the Doctor she has the hots for. However the Doc's girlfriend is in the way and so Ms Shelley attempts to do away with her so she can finally get her claws into her man. But not all go to plan! The films a little slow and has been done since and better. The highlight of the movie is Shelley's turning from frightened women to scheming feline being reminiscent of her turn from frightened women to hissing vampire in 'Dracula Prince of Darkness' (1966).
I liked this version of Cat Girl. It's not as good as Lewton's but what is?

I thought Shelley was excellent especially the street stalking that i think you refer to above. As for it being slow? No slower than so many other genre films of the era. Especially when you consider there wasn't any horror cinema in the fifties prior to the film's year of release.
keirarts and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 30th December 2015, 01:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hateful Eight (2015)

After the rather lovely opening, you suddenly realise you're watching one of his films. Then it's a case of deja vu all over again.......

Django Unchained was better.....

Track Of The Moonbeast (Richard Ashe, 1976)
A young (?) man strikes out when a meteor fragment ruins his chance with the local bike. Hilarity ensues as amateur actors struggle with the script. A grumbling, stumbling 80 minutes later, I bitterly wish we had rewatched Up From The Depths instead!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!