Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2016, 10:28 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Whilst I agree eXistenZ is certainly flawed, I found it entertaining and an attempt by Cronenberg to get back to his 'body horror' roots in some respects.
Fast Company aside the ones i haven't seen are Cosmopolis and Maps to the Stars. Are they well worth picking up?
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Fast Company aside the ones i haven't seen are Cosmopolis and Maps to the Stars. Are they well worth picking up?
I wasn't wholly sold on cosmopolis but Maps to the stars is incredible.

Butcher, baker, nightmare maker.

I recently listed this one in my top 10 video nasties on a separate threads. Basically its about a young boy who is something of an athletic star at his school. He's been raised by his Aunt after his parents are killed in a brutal car accident, shot in one of the films real stand-out scenes. His aunts a little unhinged and seems to have an unhealthy incestuous obsession with her nephew. Coming home one day he walks in on his aunt killing a TV repairman who spurned her advances. She claims it was an attempted rape and he backs that story up. Unfortunately a homophobic police detective decides something s fishy and decides our protagonist was probably gay and killed the man in a lovers tiff. Things are not helped when its discovered the coach at his school was gay and the man's lover. Hounded by the cops, terrorised by his aunts erratic behaviour and bullied at school things slowly come to a head in a brutal conclusion.
This one is unfairly classed as a 'nasty' . Its brutal but not over the top, its also a surprisingly progressive in its approach to small town homophobia and prejudice. The characters are well-rounded and there is a twist which is sort of obvious but plays well in a well constructed script that is successfully brought to the screen.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:54 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
They're both definitely worth checking out.

As for whether they're worth picking up, I rented both from Love Film (Maps much more recently) and whilst I wouldn't be adverse to buying them at some point they certainly aren't priorities for me to own or re-watch in the near future.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th January 2016, 11:04 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
They're both definitely worth checking out.

As for whether they're worth picking up, I rented both from Love Film (Maps much more recently) and whilst I wouldn't be adverse to buying them at some point they certainly aren't priorities for me to own or re-watch in the near future.
Everything should be a priority to own. It won't be long before you can't buy physical media. You need to stock up NOW!
Old 15th January 2016, 11:06 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Eros + Massacre (Erosu purasu Gyakusatsu) (1969)

83/100
I really REALLY want to see this but I need to see if I can afford £50+ after pay day as I have a lot of family and friend birthdays coming up It's a lot to pay for a blind buy but it sounds great!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th January 2016, 11:12 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

There's not a lot of point going into detail about the hows and whys of this film. We all know it divides opinion and we know the reasons why - Jar Jar Binks, Jake Lloyd as the young Anakin Skywalker, the kid friendly antics and the political sub plot.

All very good reasons to dislike the film i totally agree. Well, except one. I think the political machinations are vital to the whole Star Wars story and not just this one film.

It documents the rise of Naboo's Senator Palpatine and his political long game. Palpatine's alter ego, the Sith Lord, Darth Sidious, influences the corrupt trade federation to blockade the planet Naboo of which he is a senator. The vote of no confidence for the current supreme chancellor allows Palpatine to gain control of the Republic meaning he can manipulate everything for both good and bad.

It's all really well written and worked out. I've never really understood the dislike for this element of the prequel trilogy as i think it's the real crux of the whole story throughout the three films.
I agree with this completely, I sometimes wonder what it would have been like if they toned down the kid friendly antics and had a child actor who could actually act, Haley Joel Osment for example.
I don't really mind Jar Jar - Meesah no care! Messah no sorry!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th January 2016, 11:41 AM
Cult Addict

Kung Fury.

OH MY GOD! The best fun I've had watching a film in a long time. This simple tale of a time traveling kung fu master cop on the tail of a very much alive Adolf Hitler and his thousands of minions. See such sights as a man fighting a transforming arcade machine in the first five minutes!

You really need to do yourself a favour and go over to YouTube and give it a watch. It is nothing short of exploitation at its finest.
Old 15th January 2016, 12:12 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Everything should be a priority to own. It won't be long before you can't buy physical media. You need to stock up NOW!
I'd better don the ol' ski mask and start robbing some banks then if I need to own everything!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 15th January 2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 15th January 2016, 12:23 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I really REALLY want to see this but I need to see if I can afford £50+ after pay day as I have a lot of family and friend birthdays coming up It's a lot to pay for a blind buy but it sounds great!
Not to rub it in or anything but it's a truly fantastic set (it's in the running for my favourite release of 2015) with great presentations of films that I've been hearing about and wanting to watch for years. Hopefully you'll manage to bag yourself a copy before it goes oop - I think Arrow mentioned that the set is about 80% sold out already.

I know Japanese arthouse cinema is often a dirty term around these parts but I'm looking forward to Arrow releasing more examples like this alongside their other contemporary and cult releases in 2016.
Old 15th January 2016, 12:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Kung Fury.

OH MY GOD! The best fun I've had watching a film in a long time. This simple tale of a time traveling kung fu master cop on the tail of a very much alive Adolf Hitler and his thousands of minions. See such sights as a man fighting a transforming arcade machine in the first five minutes!

You really need to do yourself a favour and go over to YouTube and give it a watch. It is nothing short of exploitation at its finest.
I've heard mixed reviews about this one but do want to check it out and judge for myself eventually.

Like this? Share it using the links below!