Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2016, 04:43 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

54f8d648c76cb.jpeg

It Follows tells the story of Jay an easy going care free teen. After sleeping with her new boyfriend in the back of his car he ties her up and explains that he has passed a curse on to her that how plagued him since he contracted it during a one night stand at a bar. The curse is passed from person to person through sexual intercourse. You can out run it but you can only escape it my passing it on to someone else through that same way you got it.

When i first heard about It Follows i was told its about a killer STD sounded stupid so i avoided it until yesterday and im glad i finally gave in and watched it for myself. I love how this film is shot really building a very thick heavy atmosphere keeping you on the edge of your seat. They really could of went down the cheap jump scare route but instead everything is in plain sight when it happens but when nothing is happening you cannot switch off for a moment because you just never know what is around the corner. The acting was great and the emotional tension between Jay and her first kiss Paul was sometimes very beautiful but also quite painful for anyone who has experienced unrequited love. I love the idea of the film it was something different and i also like how they approached it because it could of been overly preachy about pre marital sex but it didnt force and sort of stupid message on us so big credit there.

In horror the use of music is very important building tension and unease during important scenes but like all the great films It Follows soundtrack is a constant throughout so the level of tension and uneasy never takes a back seat. I will be hunting down the Vinyl soundtrack and it will sit proud in my collection some beautiful pieces of electronic art is the only way i can describe it.

I am very guilty of getting stuck in the past when it comes to horror and cinema in general but its films like this that show me whats out there and to be more open minded with my viewing. It Follows is one of the best of the so called " modern " horrors i have seen.

Old 31st January 2016, 06:10 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post

That main theme from the film always creeps me out!!

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 31st January 2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: .
Old 31st January 2016, 07:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah one of the best of last year's films.

Watched BLIND FURY on Blu Ray-brilliant film,an eighties classic!
keirarts and Nordicdusk like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 31st January 2016, 08:01 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Cub (Welp) (2014)

Cub camp with a difference! Recommended Belgian horror film about a cub troupe who go on a camping trip in the woods and find more than they bargained for... slightly more messed up than I was expecting too, which is always a good thing.

70/100
Old 31st January 2016, 09:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah one of the best of last year's films.

Watched BLIND FURY on Blu Ray-brilliant film,an eighties classic!
As in the Rutger Hauer film?? Who's released this Reaper?
Old 31st January 2016, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Cub (Welp) (2014)

70/100
Not got round to watching this yet. Had the dvd a few months as well.
Old 31st January 2016, 10:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not got round to watching this yet. Had the dvd a few months as well.
I watched it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very good – definitely one which needs a rewatch.
Old 31st January 2016, 11:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I really must've missed summat with It Follows, because it seems like everyone loved it apart from me and my other half, I don't think I can bear sitting through it again though!
keirarts, trebor8273 and iank like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st February 2016, 12:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

The monster was proper scary, but the characters were so dull and uncharismatic I found it hard to maintain interest between monster attacks!
Old 1st February 2016, 02:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

BACKWOODS MASSACRE – Some really quite unlikeable post-uni kids get iced by a guy in a reptile monster mask in this disposable microbudgeter. There's a back story about them meeting in the wake of their friend's suicide – but don't expect 'The Big Chill', this one's strictly about knobheads being vile, running around in some woods then getting their guts pulled before the ugly irruption of a risible twist. All fine, in principal. I was hoping for something like that CL fave from a few years back, 'The Goatman Murders' – remember it? 'Backwoods Massacre' looks much glossier and HD, but is unfortunately not crazy enough to massacre a school bus full of blind kids. There is some gore, lots of it in fact, although somehow it all seemed neither repulsive nor thrilling and I probably won't watch it ever again. But anyway.

EAT – Interesting. A past-it model / actress finds that she takes bites out of her own arms whenever she freaks out, which is reasonably often as she's quite the diva . Her friend is a militant misandrist who shoots two would-be rapists in the bollocks after a forced make-out in a car-park. Things seem to go right for once when past-it model meets a nice young doctor, or maybe the whole thing will end in blood and tears, what do you think? 'Eat' is mysterious and stylised and clearly doesn't give a f*ck about making much sense, although its particular aesthetic grated on me a bit in a way I can't quite define (cos I can't remember, I watched it last week and it's already half gone). It looks quite gaudy, I remember that much. The central performer does OK and evokes irritation and sympathy in one neat package, but will you care when the blood starts to flow? Actually, it has its moments, despite not quite being the gorefest promised on the box. There are other things to enjoy about it though, not least the whole sense of “Why is this happening? Why? Why?” Because personally I like the unexplained. I recommend checking it out although it's not in the same league as its vague antecedent, 'Dans Ma Peau'.

PIGGY BANKS – This one was quite a nice surprise as I really wasn't expecting much , it being a two quid pick up I made to fill out an Amazon order. The cover is fairly misleading in that it seems to promise serial killing gore. That's not accurate, although the movie IS about serial killers, two brothers in fact, who basically go around breaking into houses and relieving them of their legal occupants. It's the way they get by without having to work, pay taxes, invest – they're not terribly sadistic or hung up on killing for its own sake. It's all just a transaction, although admittedly one-sided and a bit unfair. Anyway, without going into too much detail, one of the brothers goes off and tracks down his (unacquainted) half sister and ends up shagging her. The movie then charts the relationship that develops between the two before wrapping things up with a bleak conclusion. I was really quite impressed with 'Piggy Banks'. I think those expecting a slasher or even something more like a thriller will be put off, and, judging by what I've read on-line, it does tend to divide people. But it's really an indie relationships drama with horror trappings, and the genre or 'sensational' bits resound enough to lend an interesting and odd flavour to what's essentially lots of scenes of people talking and angsting (and occasionally semi-incestuously shagging) in rooms. I sense I'm not selling it all that well, but, for me, it seemed dark, absorbing, cool and really well done. Seems way obscure, and should not be. Definitely a recommend.

DEADLY FRIEND – Wes Craven's effort from 1986 or thereabouts. You wouldn't think he'd made a genre transforming epic just a year or two before. I say 'epic', but I'm never that convinced. Anyway, back to 'Deadly Friend'. There's a new kid in the neighbourhood and, right, he's a cutting edge neuroscientist because why wouldn't he be? His robot companion amuses his teenage neighbours until something goes wrong and its consciousness chip ends up transplanted into the dead brain of one of his new pals after her abusive dad pushes her down some stairs and kills her. Dead friend then becomes 'Deadly Friend' – yep, she's a cyborg killer, who wouldn't be after all that bollocks? A tragic situation, but one which works out quite well from an entertainment point of view, at least in theory. We get to see high velocity basket-ball hurling leading to exploding heads and Kirsty Swanson doing a frankly poor impression of a droid on the rampage etc etc. 'Deadly Friend' could've used quite a bit more of that kind of stuff however, and the more fun parts feel a bit crammed into the last half hour. But there's still something to be said for the build up, which is enlivened by the dead crass transition between eighties teen-tech schmalz, moribund abuse drama and tacky sci-fi horror. If only it could've taken that to more of an extreme, or gone the other way and been more serious about things. Well you can't have everything, and 'Deadly Friend' remains a tidy bit of trash and an enjoyable enough diversion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!