Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179041Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2016, 07:38 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Italian horror double feature...

Lady Morgan's Vengeance (La vendetta di Lady Morgan) (1965)

So-so Gothic horror which seems to take an age to get going as it continuously flirts with exposition of of its own plot, which involves a murderous husband being confronted by his wife's vengeful ghost. As well as this, there is the interposing of comedy and melodrama into the mix often with unsuccessful results. Whilst not a complete wasted opportunity - there is some atypical beautiful gothic black and white cinematography on offer as well as the lovely Barbara Nelli and Erika Blanc - I could only really recommend this one to die-hard Italian Gothic horror fans; and even then only as a mildly entertaining curio.

53/100

Love and Death in the Garden of the Gods (Amore e morte nel giardino degli dei) (1972)

A unique, slow-burn of a giallo that really engaged me. Most of the proceedings on screen play out as flashback, itself the result of an old ornithological professor who stumbles across some psychoanalyst session tapes and decides to play them. Despite the slow pace there is never a dull moment as the flashbacks play out murder, psychosis and incest all of which are aided by the fantastic cinematography; itself the product of the director's Sauro Scavolini's brother, Romano, who directed such gems as Nightmares in a Damaged Brain and Spirits of Death.

74/100
Old 4th February 2016, 07:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Italian horror double feature...

Lady Morgan's Vengeance (La vendetta di Lady Morgan) (1965)

Love and Death in the Garden of the Gods (Amore e morte nel giardino degli dei) (1972)
An Erika Blanc double bill.

You jammy so and so!
Old 4th February 2016, 08:28 PM
Cult Master

I_Spit_on_Your_Grave_2.jpg

Struggling model Katie needs work but is short on cash to update her portfolio with some new glamour shots when she finds an advert in her local cafe offering free shots. When she shows up to the session she meets three eastern European brothers who try to get her to loose her cloths for the shoot refusing Katie storms out. Later one of the brothers turns up at her apartment and from here her living nightmare begins.

I enjoyed the remake mainly because the revenge felt satisfying and it made up for how grim the rape was but there is a different story here. At certain points it was a rough watch but i kept watching expecting the revenge to be just as satisfying as the last film. For the amount of time we have to endure Katies pain and humiliation her revenge upon her captures was too swift and not brutal enough. After watching almost an hour of a woman get raped , tortured and beaten i want the revenge to fit the crime and surpass it. Revenge by infection,chocking on shit and genital crushing just didnt cut it for me.

3/10
Old 4th February 2016, 08:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Revenge by infection,chocking on shit and genital crushing just didnt cut it for me.
Yeah, just sounds like your typical night out on the town to me!
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 4th February 2016, 08:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Yeah, just sounds like your typical night out on the town to me!
How would you know,you only leave your coffin to change ball gags,and clean your arseless leather chaps.

Old 4th February 2016, 08:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 175339

Struggling model Katie needs work but is short on cash to update her portfolio with some new glamour shots when she finds an advert in her local cafe offering free shots. When she shows up to the session she meets three eastern European brothers who try to get her to loose her cloths for the shoot refusing Katie storms out. Later one of the brothers turns up at her apartment and from here her living nightmare begins.

I enjoyed the remake mainly because the revenge felt satisfying and it made up for how grim the rape was but there is a different story here. At certain points it was a rough watch but i kept watching expecting the revenge to be just as satisfying as the last film. For the amount of time we have to endure Katies pain and humiliation her revenge upon her captures was too swift and not brutal enough. After watching almost an hour of a woman get raped , tortured and beaten i want the revenge to fit the crime and surpass it. Revenge by infection,chocking on shit and genital crushing just didnt cut it for me.

3/10
I liked it.
Old 4th February 2016, 08:41 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
How would you know,you only leave your coffin to change ball gags,and clean your arseless leather chaps.
Not true! I have a gimp to do all that for me.
Old 4th February 2016, 08:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Not true! I have a gimp to do all that for me.
of course ,I forgot Dems was yer b**ch.

Old 4th February 2016, 08:46 PM
Cult Master

215px-CitwTeaserSmall.jpg

Five friends go to a cabin typical characters jock,slut,stoner, geek virgin and new kid. It all starts out well and good like a typical slasher in the woods with a twist people behind the scenes are pulling the strings and at the time even that felt interesting but suddenly the film descends into utter chaotic bollox with zombies,ghosts,robotic scorpions and a giant cobra to name but a few. I was not expecting much if anything from this and i was not let down.

2/10

Only gets a 2 for NiN playing over the credits
Old 4th February 2016, 08:48 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I liked it.
I would of rated it higher if i didnt feel so short changed by the revenge.

Like this? Share it using the links below!