Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2016, 11:26 PM
Cult Addict

The Mutilator

A film I've been happy to (lovingly) mock as a somewhat inept slasher has been given a genuinely terrific makeover from Arrow. So much so I'm going to (moderately) revise my opinion on the film. It still has some 'issues' including some ropey acting work, a lack of suspense in several key scenes and the usual slasher headaches of people making stupid decisions. However it's a lot more enjoyable seen uncut and widescreen in a decent quality transfer. The gore effects from Mark Shostrom are fantastic, one scene previously cut by the BBFC is genuinely horrific and the final act actually sort of comes together. Don't expect it in any top 10 slasher picks from me but I'm actually glad I punted out for this.

Pranks (aka the dorm that dripped blood)

Another one with a bad reputation that I actually like, Pranks is essentially a student film. Unlike the cliche of student pictures, bad Ingmar Bergman pastiches full of teen angst and lingering shots of vases, director Jeffrey Orbrow delivers a nasty, low budget slasher picture with some well crafted kills and a terrific early score from Christopher Young. Like the mutilator its far from perfect, but on its own merits its a perfectly serviceable slasher picture with a great final act. It also actually makes a great double bill with that picture.
Old 8th February 2016, 09:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I just watched that Don Borchers doc on the Children on the Corn disc. Now I admit I know directors, but producers, aside from Deborah Hill I'm not up to speed with. This guy though, he's made a lot of films that I have seen, some terrible ones as well. However he's such a likeable guy you can't help but get carried away with his enthusiasm.
I particularly liked the story about Meatballs 4 and I feel sorry for everyone involved that was duped haha.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th February 2016, 11:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatched REC3. Somewhat grimmer than I remember, an joy to watch nonetheless.

The Uninvited (1944, Lewis Allen)
Great film, finally seen! What JF could have done with this material cough cough. A hoot, Milland's asides are perfectly timed etc etc. Plus she pretty haha. SOLD!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th February 2016, 02:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Great film, finally seen! What JF could have done with this material cough cough. A hoot, Milland's asides are perfectly timed etc etc. Plus she pretty haha. SOLD!!
JF? Jess Franco?

Ruined it probably. And that's coming from me, one of the few proper Franco fans here.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th February 2016, 03:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Rewatched REC3. Somewhat grimmer than I remember, an joy to watch nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
JF? Jess Franco?

Ruined it probably. And that's coming from me, one of the few proper Franco fans here.
Personally i think this one is long overdue a decent remake.
Michael Bay on production duty.
Maybe someone like Marcus Nispel in the directors chair.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th February 2016, 04:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

You really do need a drink.
J Harker likes this.
Old 8th February 2016, 04:22 PM
Cult Addict

Oh mate you have no idea.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th February 2016, 04:56 PM
Active Cultist

Had a bit of a movie weekend with my daughter as the weather was awful

Se7en I always remember watching this at the cinema, and jumping so high out my seat when John Doe shoots at Somerset and Mills when they are knocking on his door, im happy to report 20 years later my daughter did exactly the same thing.

Leon (Directors Cut) Love this film, always find the love side a bit uncomfortable especially when it comes from Leon, so i probaly should stick to the Original version, still its a great film.

Butterfly Effect I think this is a very underated film, hopefully one day it will be better loved by people.

Minority Report Im crap at reviews but another good film, interesting plot and some great visuals, not keen on the cars driving down sides of buildings though

Grindhouse Planet Terror a great shut your brain off film, love the fake trailers, Death Proof well my daughter switched off after 10 mins i think the meaningless chat bored her and to be honest i could see why, the only good things about this film are the car scenes, the chat is just pointless.
Old 8th February 2016, 05:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Invasion (1966)

An alien craft crash lands on earth and the two occupants are taken to a nearby country hospital where it turns out one of them is a prisoner. Before long the hospital staff realize they are cut off from the outside world and they are under siege.

Invasion is a quirky little science fiction oddity with ambitions far beyond it's reach. Whilst the film is nicely photographed (The crisp Network transfer looks terrific) and the film quite atmospheric, it's let down by a weak script and slight characterization. When the film should grip it meanders and never really draws you in as you never actually fear for the hospital staff until the finale.

Although not written by him, it was Robert Holmes, a legend in Doctor Who circles, who came up with the story line, and he used elements of Invasion in his 1970 story Spearhead from Space.

I've watched this twice now in the space of a few weeks and all in all Invasion is rather weak. You'd be far better off watching Spearhead from Space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81V9XB334ML._SL1337_.jpg (100.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 8th February 2016, 06:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454955365.344488.jpg

Thankfully my sights weren't set to high, very poor especially considering the cast, unfunny and extremely boring ( half the people I went with ended nodding off). Do yourself a favour and watch the series instead and save yourself some money. 3.5/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!