Like Tree179031Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2016, 09:39 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Another Euro-duo:

The Females (Die Weibchen) (1970)

Bizarre, psychedelic Euro-oddity about a young woman (Uschi Glas) who gets sent to an all-female psychiatric clinic in an all female town. The all female population bare an extreme grudge against the male sex and hunt, trap, kill, and seemingly eat any man that enters their small town. Slightly hampered by a intrusive score this is otherwise a pretty fun and pleasantly bewildering experience.

70/100

Your Sweet Body for Killing (Il tuo dolce corpo da uccidere) (1970)

Darkly comic Spanish giallo in which a husband is driven mad by his wife and has recurring fantasies about killing her in various ways. However, it isn't until the day that she orders the removal of his beloved tropical fish that he decides to take action and do the dirty deed.

The rest of the film sees our poor downtrodden murderer sink further in paranoia and panic as he tries desperately to dispose of an incriminating suitcase.

A silly but rather fun little euro-thriller from Alfonso 'The Beast in Space' Brescia.

63/100
Old 10th February 2016, 03:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD (1972 Spanish version)

I had not seen this in a while so gave it a spin last night.
What a sight those Templar Knights are. The costumes and make up are terrific. Slow moving with a choral soundtrack, these guys are pretty awesome and you can't wait for them to appear on screen again.

Old 10th February 2016, 07:07 PM
Cult Master

THE THREE STOOGES (2012)

Look, stop me if you have heard this one before...

"For 35 years, Larry, Curly and Moe have been living at the Sisters of Mercy Orphanage because no-one will adopt them. Then, one day the nuns are informed that the orphanage will be shutting down unless they can come up with $830,000 in 30 days..."

What follows is a sophisticated and gentle little farce, which reminded me of the films that Hitchcock made with Cary Grant, James Stewart and Grace Kelly, filled with many witticisms that Oscar Wilde and Mark Twain would have been proud of

Oh, who am I kidding? It's lowbrow and anarchic, but nowhere near as offensive as the other films made by the Farrelly Brothers. It's also quite funny - against my better judgement, I found myself laughing out loud on a number of occasions

If there is nothing else available, you have a full bottle of alcohol and your brain has been left at the front door, you could do worse than watch this film
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic579a - stooges.jpg (62.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg pic579b - stooges.jpg (7.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg pic579c - stooges.jpg (8.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg pic579d - stooges.jpg (7.1 KB, 7 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 10th February 2016, 07:46 PM
Cult Veteran

Deadpool (2016)

I went to watch Deadpool today, I've got to say I really enjoyed it but I'm not familiar with the source material. A lot of reviews our there are quite split right down the middle between people who loved it and people who hated it. I don't read reviews before I've seen a movie and I was quite surprised to see that the reasons I liked it were the reasons why other people hated it... This is particularly down to the low-brow humour. Now I don't know if these people are being stuck up or whether they have a point, comparing it to the comic books.

If you're feeling open minded and want to see an anti-superhero movie with lots of blood and bad language then give it a go.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th February 2016, 07:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Some Like It Hot (1959)

A brief interlude from all the murder, tits and mayhem this past Sunday as I settled down to re-watch the light-hearted Wilder feel-good comedy that is Some Like it Hot. The dialogue is sharp, witty and on point as are the performers. Despite her questionable ukulele playing Monroe sizzles on screen, plus Curtis & Lemmon don't look bad in dresses either.

81/100
Old 10th February 2016, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Some Like It Hot (1959)
81/100
One of my favourites for sure but I do feel it loses momentum once they get to the resort hotel!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th February 2016, 08:07 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Some Like It Hot (1959)
Did you know it's actually a re-make?

The original version is a French film from 1935, entitled 'Fanfare d'Amour', which was re-made in Germany in 1951 as 'Fanfaren Der Liebe' before becoming the better known 'Some Like It Hot' in 1959

In 1961, the Mirisch Company (The Magnificent Seven, West Side Story, The Great Escape, The Pink Panther etc) unsuccessfully attempted to make a television series out of the film

In 1972, a stage play based on the film, entitled 'Sugar', opened on Broadway, and in 1991, a new production, with the 'Some Like It Hot' title, toured the UK, with Tommy Steele in one of the lead roles.

Then, in 2002, Tony Curtis performed in a stage production of the film, playing the character originally played by Joe E. Brown

The Some Like It Hot Companion

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 10th February 2016, 08:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)

Sergio Martino's giallo is yet another film based on Edgar Allan Poe's story The Black Cat.

Wait! Come back. It's not as boring as it sounds.

In fact Your Vice... is a quietly effective little thriller. The striking, almost glass like, Anita Strindberg plays the wife of drunken, violent writer, Luigi Pistilli. Fearful of him and his black cat, Satan. Out of the blue, Pistilli's niece, Edwige Fenech, shows up and the story really hots up in a tale of sex, murder and the inevitable fate of being buried behind a wall.

The black cat wandering about has little to do with the story until Strindberg gouges out one of it's eyes which allows Martino to get lurid with his camera treating us to zoom after zoom of the cat's bloodied empty socket. This plays out in a fine hallucinogenic way making the viewer feel as queasy as Strindberg does.

The story zips along and you don't have to watch long before the next sequence of sleaze or violence occurs. I like Martino as a director. He doesn't convolute his films with bullshit and tends to play things out straight, lacing everything with the exploitative elements we know and love and Your Vice... is no exception. An added bonus for me is the delightfully Gothic atmosphere of the crumbling old house, among many other trappings of the genre on show here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Your-Vice_italian-poster.jpg (58.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th February 2016, 08:57 PM
Cult Addict

Ok gonna try and remember what i've watched recently.
This may take some time.
...and not be particularly coherent.

Birdman

Liked it up to a point, performances good, interestingly shot, well made but kinda amounted to what i expected it to. Mental deterioration as a spectacle.
(bring on the oscar voters)
enjoyed the soundtrack.
Probably being a bit harsh here. 7 1/2 /10

Demented

80's 'I spit on your grave' wannabe without the grime, wanted to enjoy this but the female lead(although easy on the eye) was really irritating.
Liked the hysteria element but didn't amount to much.

6/10

Pranks

Still going through the nasties when i feel the urge, pretty slight all round but did enjoy the ending.

6 1/2 /10

Toxic Zombies/Forest of fear

Another nasty, another dud. I'm on to the dregs now so i don't expect much anyways. Some mildly amusing cheesiness but not much else 5/10

Just before dawn

I expected more from this, had heard good things.
the bad guys just weren't menacing or that interesting to me.
Liked the water scene with the guy having a grope, some good soundtrack choices and the fist down the throat. but other than that not too impressed.

6 1/2 /10

god told me to

This is now my probably favourite Larry cohen film, loved the premise, and was as confused as the lead character throughout.
lots of food for thought, and the final scenes kinda reminded me of the end of the brood with its mutant sexual shenanigans.

9/10

Trilogy of terror

Think this may have been a usa t.v movie or something. One of those things that freaked kids out at the time.
3 stories centred around female characters that are all played by Karen Black.
I enjoyed them all, first one is simple but effective, second kinda predictable but the third is the standout segment.
In this one Karen buys a voodoo fetish totem(basically a wooden figurine that is possessed), she only has to turn her back for a moment and the little guy is on the warpath.
Like a Chucky variation that is actually good, the little bastard is soon ripping the place up like a gremlin on speed.(interestingly i found some of the camerawork a little 'Evil dead' on this one.)
Really enjoyed this film, even the predictable stuff, Karen Black showed some versatility and i actually found her quite sexy at certain moments.
good stuff and worth seeing if u like the old portmanteau style films.

8 1/2/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th February 2016, 09:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)

Sergio Martino's giallo is yet another film based on Edgar Allan Poe's story The Black Cat.

Wait! Come back. It's not as boring as it sounds.

In fact Your Vice... is a quietly effective little thriller. The striking, almost glass like, Anita Strindberg plays the wife of drunken, violent writer, Luigi Pistilli. Fearful of him and his black cat, Satan. Out of the blue, Pistilli's niece, Edwige Fenech, shows up and the story really hots up in a tale of sex, murder and the inevitable fate of being buried behind a wall.

The black cat wandering about has little to do with the story until Strindberg gouges out one of it's eyes which allows Martino to get lurid with his camera treating us to zoom after zoom of the cat's bloodied empty socket. This plays out in a fine hallucinogenic way making the viewer feel as queasy as Strindberg does.
This sounds interesting, i do like a good giallo.

What do you expect if you call your cat Satan.

Imagine calling it in for munchies. 'Satan, Satan... here Satan"

just wondered because i haven't read it since a kid, does the Black cat story feature the eye gouging?
It's just interesting because an old 30's( i think) film called 'Maniac' has a cat eye gouging and is also vaguely based around the Black cat, with the walling up element.
Have you seen it, think it might be by the guy behind Reefer Madness it is early roadshow exploitation and is totally hilariously mental.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 10th February 2016 at 09:23 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!