LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2016, 10:36 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Don't live in a bin. Don't have a tin hat. Love Matrix Reloaded and quite like Revolutions.
Cloud Atlas is also very good if you have patience with it.
Jupiter Ascending on the other hand i turned off after half hour or so. I can't help thinking it deserves another go but it just seemed to be nonsense.
I'm the same. I like all three Matrix films, Speed Racer, thought Cloud Atlas was extremely ambitious and a film I need to watch again, and probably buy. Bound is still the best film they have made as Jupiter Ascending was a bit of a dog's dinner and, even I watched it to the end, I lost interest about halfway through.
keirarts, Vipp and J Harker like this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 15th February 2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 15th February 2016, 03:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched
Starry Eyes (2013, Kolsch/Widmyer). Me likee! Whilst the tale of a young hopeful finding out that you shouldn't count your chickens is as old as the hills, this held my attention, unlike....

The Nightmare (2014, Rodney Ascher)
Not a film that I recommend watching with The Babadook btw. Doc on "night terrors". Some creepy, some very personal. Sadly no real depth here, as the cause of these "attacks" is rarely dealt with. Still worth a look though.

Mate insisted that The Visit couldn't be a shit as I said twas. So on it went. Still cried with laughter. Tears etc. Not as funny as The Happening though...He was nonplussed

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th February 2016, 04:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Also watched "the British Blair Witch" (3rd one I've seen anyhow haha) aka Hollow (2011, Micheal Axelgaard).
Really?? A FF film set in Dunwich?? Regarding an ancient curse??
Balls. 4 "characters" set off for high jinks with a camera. Whilst not as truly awful as Episode 50, this is really tired. One decent shock at the end, which is really telegraphed if you've seen more than say, 20 of these films haha. PASS!! A Night In The Woods (2nd Brit Blair btw)
was way better and that ain't saying much haha

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th February 2016, 06:46 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Yet more Euro-goodness...

The Perfect Crime (Indagine su un delitto perfetto) (1978)

Odd, British based crime-thriller with a strong cast that unfortunately never quite lives up to its potential. The story plays out like a low-tier Agatha Christie murder mystery as a chairman of a large company's murder is staged to look like a suicide leaving the three remaining airs to plot against each other in order to try and take over the business for themselves. The plot is a little too predictable, yet the varied cast and sheer amount of dodgy deals and double-dealings going on meant that at least it engaged throughout.

57/100

The Ghost (Lo spettro) (1963)

Coming hot on the heels of '62s The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Freda's The Ghost plays out as a follow-up to the aforementioned classic. Barbara Steele plays the bitter wife of her aging husband whom she plots to kill along with her lover. However, once the deed has been committed they are both subjected to strange happenings around the old, creaky gothic home as if the vengeful husband's spirit has returned to haunt them.

The film is ably acted by all involved but is unfortunately rather light on the thrills until the final segment. Overall, despite the decent gothic ambiance and the presence of Barbara Steele, I unfortunately found The Ghost to be a little dull and nowhere near as good (nor as atmospheric) as it's predecessor The Horrible Dr. Hichcock.

52/100
Old 15th February 2016, 07:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Ghost (Lo spettro) (1963)

Coming hot on the heels of '62s The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Freda's The Ghost plays out as a follow-up to the aforementioned classic. Barbara Steele plays the bitter wife of her aging husband whom she plots to kill along with her lover. However, once the deed has been committed they are both subjected to strange happenings around the old, creaky gothic home as if the vengeful husband's spirit has returned to haunt them.

The film is ably acted by all involved but is unfortunately rather light on the thrills until the final segment. Overall, despite the decent gothic ambiance and the presence of Barbara Steele, I unfortunately found The Ghost to be a little dull and nowhere near as good (nor as atmospheric) as it's predecessor The Horrible Dr. Hichcock.

52/100
I rather like The Ghost.

As i said on the relevant thread. Had i realized it was a sequel it would have made my top ten for that week.
Old 15th February 2016, 07:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I rather like The Ghost.

As i said on the relevant thread. Had i realized it was a sequel it would have made my top ten for that week.
I remember you reviewing it on your Gothic thread, which triggered me to add it to my watch-list. You mentioning it in the 'Top Ten' thread recently reminded me of it and gave me the push to finally check it out. Despite my average score, I did enjoy it in parts and glad I finally decided to give it a look.
Old 15th February 2016, 07:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Me neither, I've not seen many of his films, and only own his attempt at adapting a great Stephen King novel without bothering to read it first

Forgot, I also have Full Metal Jacket, which is my favourite Kubrick film
keirarts, trebor8273, Vipp and 1 others like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th February 2016, 07:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I was trying to remember what i watched last night. Then it came to me.

Burke and Hare (1972)

And it's still shit. Although at least with Redemption's gorgeous transfer i can finally throw away the UK dvd from Simply Home Entertainment and i can also see what's happening, which in all all honesty isn't a lot.

It fails as a horror because there isn't any, it fails as a sex romp as it ain't that rude. It's just really bad and director Vernon Sewell (Curse of the Crimson Altar, The Blood Beast Terror) should know better.

The problem is... i really like it. Maybe it's because of that bloke from Where Eagles Dare and Dave the barman from Minder playing the titular characters. Maybe it's Yutte Stensgaard and Francoise Pascal who spend most of their screen time naked together, or maybe it's because of this bloody annoying, but oh so catchy, pissed up Chas n' Dave style theme song which dominates the opening and closing credits.

I really don't know. There's no way i can recommend it even though i love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81v8Y3lCFiL._SL1500_.jpg (90.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th February 2016, 07:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I remember you reviewing it on your Gothic thread, which triggered me to add it to my watch-list. You mentioning it in the 'Top Ten' thread recently reminded me of it and gave me the push to finally check it out. Despite my average score, I did enjoy it in parts and glad I finally decided to give it a look.
The last half hour is excellent i thought.
Old 15th February 2016, 07:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I also like that version of Burke & Hare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The last half hour is excellent i thought.
It certainly goes someway to make up for most of the previous hour.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!