Old 27th March 2016, 01:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Nope.
I think you'll like it to be honest.

The more i'm thinking about it the more i'm thinking better towards it. It was a film with some very memorable set pieces and imagery.
Old 27th March 2016, 01:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think you'll like it to be honest.

The more i'm thinking about it the more i'm thinking better towards it. It was a film with some very memorable set pieces and imagery.
It's one i'll definitely return to so i'll review it next time.
Old 27th March 2016, 01:33 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I understand i'm very much on my own in not liking the Phibes films and that's fine. The Final Programme was more interesting than them in every way but was very much a case of (creaky) style over substance. Until the Inspector emerged.

Even that revelation was spoiled by the artwork on the inner sleeve. see attachment below. (That poster is far more exciting than anything seen onscreen.)

It was nice to see this sequence though that i recall an image from in Alan Frank's classic book SCI-FI NOW.

That's Hawkwind on the stage...I think or it could be Deep Fix.
Old 27th March 2016, 01:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Batman vs superman dawn of justice

Not hard to see why it's getting so much criticism , as others have said very poorly paced with little character development, the dream sequences just seemed completely out of place . henry cavill still looks the part of superman but I still found no connection with his portrayal of superman unlike Reeves version in which you cared deeply for the character, but Affleck was great as a more brutal and world weary Batman and I really liked jesse eisenberg crazy and unhinged lex Luthor. The last 20 minutes or so are fantastic, the whole. Batman vs superman fight while good was a little bit of a disappointment and like mr harker I just don't understand why Wonder Woman was in the film, the reason we are given is flimsy at best but I suppose it's too set up the other movies, but with any luck the directors cut will give her more development and fix some of the other problems with the movie. 7.5/10

Next up
Old 27th March 2016, 02:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I haven't watched Dr. Cyclops out of that set, Trebor.

Look forward to reading what you think.

Cult of the Cobra is the only one i've watched so far and found it dull. I bought the set for The Leech Woman, so i'm saving that until last.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th March 2016, 02:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Batman vs superman dawn of justice

Not hard to see why it's getting so much criticism , as others have said very poorly paced with little character development, the dream sequences just seemed completely out of place . henry cavill still looks the part of superman but I still found no connection with his portrayal of superman unlike Reeves version in which you cared deeply for the character, but Affleck was great as a more brutal and world weary Batman and I really liked jesse eisenberg crazy and unhinged lex Luthor. The last 20 minutes or so are fantastic, the whole. Batman vs superman fight while good was a little bit of a disappointment and like mr harker I just don't understand why Wonder Woman was in the film, the reason we are given is flimsy at best but I suppose it's too set up the other movies, but with any luck the directors cut will give her more development and fix some of the other problems with the movie. 7.5/10

Next up
Yeah i neglected to mention that Ben Affleck made for a good Batman, although he did seem exceptionally brutal compared to previous incarnations. No real issues with killing and far more open to conventional weapons than we've seen in the past. And Eisenberg does crazy well. But like i said for me character motivation was the overwhelming problem.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 27th March 2016, 02:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I understand i'm very much on my own in not liking the Phibes films and that's fine. The Final Programme was more interesting than them in every way but was very much a case of (creaky) style over substance. Until the Inspector emerged.

Even that revelation was spoiled by the artwork on the inner sleeve. see attachment below. (That poster is far more exciting than anything seen onscreen.)

It was nice to see this sequence though that i recall an image from in Alan Frank's classic book SCI-FI NOW.

How about Theatre of Blood Dem?
Old 27th March 2016, 03:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
How about Theatre of Blood Dem?
Theatre isn't a Fuest film. It was directed by Douglas Hickox.

However if you were just randomly asking about it. Yes i like that, very much.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th March 2016, 03:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Theatre isn't a Fuest film. It was directed by Douglas Hickox.

However if you were just randomly asking about it. Yes i like that, very much.
Nothing to do with Fuest. Its a Vincent Price film that i tend to think as having a similar style to the Phibes films. So not entirely random. In fact not really random at all, I've even heard of Theatre being described as a spiritual sequel to the Phibes films. Although I'm buggered if i can remember where.
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 27th March 2016 at 04:40 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!