Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2016, 03:44 PM
Cult Addict

Also Phone booth, buried, Cube, the quiet earth, Night of the living dead...

Quite a few films have managed to work with limited casts.
Old 31st March 2016, 04:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Also Phone booth, buried, Cube, the quiet earth, Night of the living dead...

Quite a few films have managed to work with limited casts.
Okay i'm convinced.

I'll probably have a look when Zoverstocks are selling it for 1p.

Night of the Living Dead is a terrible choice though as everyone dies in that from the first scenes onwards
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st March 2016, 06:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Muck (2015)

Hopefully this review doesn't come across as randomly garbled as the film in question does.

I really can't remember the last time i saw anything like this. Muck was a film that appeared to have no story as such and came across as random scenes simply thrown together.

Characters come and go. One chap with an injury, last seen laying on a couch swigging bourbon is next seen twenty minutes later being murdered by some weird white characters. Imagine the Inspector and MTDS after they'd had a half naked scrap in flour and you'll see why i say weird. No explanations as to the who's and why's they just randomly appear. In fact one sequence shows them attacking a girl next to a car, the next second the car is on it's roof and they've all gone or are perhaps under said car. As i said, bugger all is explained.

Some of the acting is woeful and at other times it's not too bad...in fact i'll stop there and suggest the film was actually made by two crews. One, a fairly competent film crew and cast including a bunch of Miss Buttcheeks USA pageant winners, and Christ! Thanks to the director of photography don't we know it. Scene after scene of pretty girls and one guy, who for no reason other than, no, forget that, for no reason, simply take it in turns to stand in front of mirrors and take their clothes off. Anyway that's digressing. The minute this first film crew downs tools for the night it seems a bunch of kids take over and pretty much just film themselves arsing about. Add this to an editor who clearly had **** all knowledge of his job or left the blooper reels in the film. I really don't know, or care. You decide.

Muck is the finest example of car crash film making i can recall. It really is that bad, i just couldn't take my eyes off it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Muck.jpg (72.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 31st March 2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 31st March 2016, 07:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Really had little interest in this when I saw the trailer for it at the cinema, but I was wrong a very enjoyable bond type film which if I'm honest I enjoyed more than some of the newer bond movies. Story is the usual classic bond story of a megalomaniac(Samuel l Jackson) trying to destroy the world and eggsy who is recruited by Harry Hart(Colin firth) who works for Kingsman a secret spy organisation who are the only people able to stop his plan.

Surprisingly entertaining and violent with a great cast of characters and the scene in the church with all the bigots etc was brilliant. Also watch out for Mark Hamill is a small role. If you are looking for a more " classic " bond from the roger Moore era than the newer films you couldn't go wrong with this. 8.5/10

Next up is this which Kingsman has placed me in the mood for

Last edited by trebor8273; 31st March 2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 31st March 2016, 07:21 PM
Cult Rookie

Well, I'm a sucker for bad horror movies (and the B'rated ones too).

Just finished watching "Curse of the Komodo".

Next up, hmm. "90210 Shark Attack"..or maybe "Hazard Jack".

Decisions, decisions..
Old 31st March 2016, 07:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AberZombi&Flesh View Post
Well, I'm a sucker for bad horror movies
Give Muck a go. That's bad.
keirarts and AberZombi&Flesh like this.
Old 31st March 2016, 07:36 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Give Muck a go. That's bad.
But..but..but.. I haven't bought it yet.

My name is Zeke and I have a problem.

My "problem", per se, is I prefer to own. I detest Netflix, RedBox, Blockbuster (online), et al. So..can you imagine 4000+ dvd's shelved..all in alpha order?! Fear not.. I see it every day I walk by [it].
Old 31st March 2016, 07:53 PM
Cult Addict

The Hallow, Corin Hardy. 2015

Fancied this after i saw a trailer for this on the start of my Green Inferno blu the other day. Looked like a sort of spooky, folk horror, possibly psychological horror film...
Professional ugly bastard Joseph Mawle plays Adam Hitchens, a forestry conservation officer who relocates his wife and baby from London to a remote part of Ireland after being assigned there. Moving into an old rundown mill house in the woods it isn't long before seemingly threatening local Colm starts coming aroud warning Adam and his wife to stay out of the forest as they're trespassing. Following an apparent break in the village bobby explains that the locals are highly superstitious and believe the woods to be the home of all sorts of mythical fairytale creatures. Unfriendly creatures that "go bump in the night".
Up to this point i still wasn't entirely sure where we were heading, possibly Straw Dogs territory. Maybe a wicker man cult.
Well this ain't that. The Hallow is an unashamedly derivative (in a good way) creature feature. Stan Winstons Pumpkinhead came to mind watching it. It borrows bits from all sorts of flicks and feels like a mashup of the aforementioned Pumpkinhead, The Descent and Cronenbergs The Fly and a dozen other things. There's even a nod to Fulci in there. Well worth a look and I'm interested what director Corin Hardy does next.
Old 31st March 2016, 08:07 PM
Cult Rookie

I tried to watch District 9 again..

but "tried" is/was as far as I could get.

it was Transformers meets ID4 meets the shrimp cocktail.

I've dubbed it "Prawn of the Dead".
Old 31st March 2016, 08:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
The Hallow, Corin Hardy. 2015
I watched it for the Tweet-a-long last week and really enjoyed it, with the external events mirroring that of Adam's transformation.

In terms of influences, Evil Dead, Alien, The Descent, Straw Dogs, The Thing and Halloween appear to be referenced in different ways – visual and aural – in the film, with the whole film a modern version of the Brothers Grimm fairytales. Like you, I didn't find it to be derivative in a bad way, but one which was unapologetic about its inspirations, something Corin Hardy admitted on Twitter, but a genuinely involving and creepy horror film.
keirarts and J Harker like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!