Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179021Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2016, 04:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Action Jackson (1988, Craig R Baxley)

And where has this film been all my life?? Yes, I remember the VHS cover well fae back in the day. Simultaneously uberviolent and jokey, with a homoerotic undertone that makes it rather unique imho. Supporting cast to die for as well...Robert Davi, Nicholas Worth, Al Leung, VANITY (!) etc etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd June 2016, 08:24 PM
Cultist

Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 2nd June 2016, 08:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection

This collection of newly remastered Looney Tunes cartoons are available on Dvd and Blu-Ray and of course are released through Warner Bros .Each set has 50 cartoons over two discs with the third disc having the majority of the extras on.Most of the extras are alternative Audio commentaries and some behind the scenes footage.Some of the cheaper release come without the third extra disc,so you pays your money and takes your choice.Now there is no real surprises in theses sets if your a fan already then you may have lots of these Looney Tunes compilation dvds knocking around already,as they are on the whole good fun and usually very cheap.First of my main interest was the Blu Ray versions as I was very intrigued to see what they would look like in Hi-Def and secondly was the remastering going to be any different than the already familiar releases we have all seen before.Also 150 cartoons over what would be six discs not including the third disc with the extras on,was pretty good going and certainly a great addition to any one's collection. First off I have no idea what the criteria is for the running order,its not done by the year of release or by alphabetical name,so I have no idea who or how the running order was chosen.As for the picture quality of the cartoons on the Blu Ray editions well I have not a clue what the technical terminology would be so I will keep it simples.So far the ones I have watched look absolutely excellent,no faded colours,or print damage or artefact damage on the prints,so what ever they did,the remastering worked a treat (although I suspect they would not of needed that much tinkering with,but i am no expert).All in all im very happy with this collection,so much so I gave my dvd collection of Warner Bros to a charity shop,happy in the knowledge that this new collection will serve me well,and perhaps someone will get some joy from my old dvds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81XJdGkdAkL._SL1500_.jpg (90.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 911fJzFwvPL._SL1500_.jpg (94.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 71iiBFN-bdL._SL1049_.jpg (92.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 2nd June 2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 5th June 2016, 12:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Leaving Las Vegas (1995)

One of my favourite films from the 90's.

A drunk and a prostitute form a desperate relationship in Sin City. Gruelling and seedy, Leaving Las Vegas is definitely an all tunnel, no light affair of two lost souls. Director Mike Figgis filmed this in a quite mesmerizing 16mm format giving the film an earthier feel to it whilst losing the day glow slick glamorous look of modern Vegas movies.

Nicolas Cage won the Academy Award for best actor for his role and rightly so, his performance is possibly a career best. However co-star Elizabeth Shue is also terrific. Gorgeous to look at, her tart with a heart comes across like an alcoholics wet dream. Her character, Sera, is the one the viewer bonds with or at least i did, rather than Cage who whilst not his usual OTT self, was probably a little too close to real life with his mood swings therefore not coming across as likable all the time.

Heart warming and funny yet also distressing and harrowing. Leaving Las Vegas is a superb film, but possibly not one to play a drinking game to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leaving_las_vegas_ver1.jpg (35.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 5th June 2016, 05:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Perfect Sunday afternoon viewing. This film to me is prime example
Of why in never liked or rated Roger Ebert as a critic, while not a classic is still a very funny film and doesn't deserve the 1/5 that he gave the movie. 8/10
Old 5th June 2016, 06:49 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Leaving Las Vegas (1995)

One of my favourite films from the 90's.

A drunk and a prostitute form a desperate relationship in Sin City. Gruelling and seedy, Leaving Las Vegas is definitely an all tunnel, no light affair of two lost souls. Director Mike Figgis filmed this in a quite mesmerizing 16mm format giving the film an earthier feel to it whilst losing the day glow slick glamorous look of modern Vegas movies.

Nicolas Cage won the Academy Award for best actor for his role and rightly so, his performance is possibly a career best. However co-star Elizabeth Shue is also terrific. Gorgeous to look at, her tart with a heart comes across like an alcoholics wet dream. Her character, Sera, is the one the viewer bonds with or at least i did, rather than Cage who whilst not his usual OTT self, was probably a little too close to real life with his mood swings therefore not coming across as likable all the time.

Heart warming and funny yet also distressing and harrowing. Leaving Las Vegas is a superb film, but possibly not one to play a drinking game to.
I'm not sure why I've never seen this.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th June 2016, 10:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Manhunter. Quite good, though I did the ending rather OTT and silly. Will I be tarred and feathered if I confess I think Red Dragon is a better film?
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th June 2016, 10:22 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Manhunter. Quite good, though I did the ending rather OTT and silly. Will I be tarred and feathered if I confess I think Red Dragon is a better film?

Red Dragon would be good except for three things.....Anthony Hopkins (who I've always thought was awful as Lecter), Edward Norton, and Ralph Fiennes.
Old 5th June 2016, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Apartment 1303 (2012)

Every so often i go through spells of buying direct to video horror basically because it's cheap or due to some special event that means i watch a new to me horror every night. My infamous Decemberdike marathon is one such event. Month long football tournaments are another.

So how come i didn't save Apartment 1303? Well i'm not sure exactly. Perhaps it was because it boasted Rebecca De Mornay and Mischa Barton as it's stars. De Mornay is usually good for a laugh or a chill, and i liked Barton in a low key affair called Walled In from a few years ago.

Like the aforementioned Walled In, Apartment 1303 is a low key affair with a simple story line. Sick of living with her mother (De Mornay - an alcoholic singer who once had a top ten single and still lives on the glory) and sister (a sympathetic Barton) a young woman (Julianne Michelle - who? don't worry she soon ends up six feet under) rents an apartment but only later finds out it has a horrific secret within it's walls and someone or something already in residence.

What follows is a bit of a tour-de-force of going mad due to ghostly goings on from Mischa Barton, with De Mornay becoming more hysterical by the scene.

The film is low key with it's scares because it's not an out and out effects fest with loud orchestration crashing in every five minutes with fake jump moments. The film has clear influences from classic Italian cinema - witness the bouncing ball from Bava's Kill Baby Kill - and J-Horror (of which this is actually a remake) rather than current US horror like Insidious and Paranormal Activity. Quite often i was watching the shadows rather than the actors as more than likely there would be something lurking.

As a film i don't think it's rated highly - 2.6 on IMDB - but i enjoyed it and that's all that matters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apt_a110.jpg (97.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 5th June 2016, 10:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Red Dragon would be good except for three things.....Anthony Hopkins (who I've always thought was awful as Lecter), Edward Norton, and Ralph Fiennes.
lol I kind of agree about Fiennes - he's a bit too Matinee Idol to really convince as this rather sad loser fantasist - but not about Hopkins or Norton.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!