Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree178798Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2016, 04:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Serbian Film (2010, Srdjan Spasojevic) UK dvd.
Had to see what they had taken out. And they gut it, but left more than I thought.

It is only a film.
L&DOAPG still the better watch IMHO!!!

Shadowchaser: Gates Of Time (Marc Roper, 1996)
Or Shadowchaser In Africa. Confusing mess. cut the two swearwords and you have a perfect afternoon film on THC haha. Zagarino still really wooden.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th July 2016, 04:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
I agree the constant use of “****” was unnecessary. I don’t have a problem with swearing either but I thought it was excessive here and the material often didn’t require it.
To me writers put swear words in trying to disguise the fact their writing just ain't funny.
Old 14th July 2016, 06:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
To me writers put swear words in trying to disguise the fact their writing just ain't funny.
It depends on the writing and how it fits the context. For example, there are some expletive laden scenes in Kevin Smith films which feel perfectly natural because that fits the characters in the environment they operate – Randall and Dante in Clerks, for example.

There are times when expletives are used in dramatic context – Martin Scorsese's films are full of them – which also fit the subgroups and the nature of the exchanges.

However, there are some films which just relying on 'dick and fart' humour and extreme exaggeration, such as more swearing than usual, to amuse the audience. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Most of this depends on the quality of the writing, the acting, directing and how you respond to different types of comedic material.
Old 14th July 2016, 06:50 PM
Cult Veteran

I went to see Ghostbusters, it wasn't bad at all, it looks like they had extensive re-shoots after the mauling the first trailer got. It was good to see Melissa McCarthy not go so overboard like she has a tendency to do lately. Some jokes fell flat it has to be said, but over all it was good fun and reminded me of the recent Goosebumps movie in spirit.

out of 5

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th July 2016, 03:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In A Glass Cage (1986, Agustin Villaroma)

Another The Servant variant really. A new nurse takes over a household in this grim Argentinian arthouse shocker. Whilst not as graphic as some of the filmsI've perused over the years, it is still not an easy watch!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th July 2016, 03:55 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Watched a film called Body on Sky M̶o̶v̶i̶e̶s̶ Cinema On Demand last night. Standard thriller premise - 3 girls break into a mansion for shits and giggles only for their problems to escalate quickly when they have an altercation with the groundskeepr (played by genre stalwart Larry Fessenden). Moral dilemmas are had, friendships are ruined...fairly standard stuff. At 72 minutes (about 6 of which are credits) it's actually a little too short, even for a film of this nature. Needs some sort of subplot or something else to happen. But that said it's enjoyable enough and ably directed.
Old 16th July 2016, 12:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched this last night. Probably the third time i've seen it, but not for a few years. The gloss kind of wore off on this viewing - still decent, but not quite as good as i remember it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eight_Legged_Freaks_cover_8997.jpg (38.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 16th July 2016, 04:49 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Hi guys,

Haven't done this in a while so it's about time I shared my latest viewings with y'all...

My personal highlights of these past 40 movies, have to be...
  • The Hallow - EXCELLENT Irish folklore horror film and the tweet-a-long I hosted with the Fetch gang was awesome, as always
  • The Sartana movies - Huge Spaghetti Western fan...although they do kinda blur into each other in my mind
  • Blind Man - Great Spaghetti Western starring Ringo Starr as the baddie and a blind gun-toting hero
  • Seeing Jonny Guitar on the big screen at a local cinema
  • The Conjuring 2 on the big screen. Not as good as the original but still excellent
  • Men & Chicken - one of the strangest, most depraved 'comedies' I've seen in ages
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-03 a.jpg (105.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-07-16.jpg (102.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th July 2016, 04:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A couple stand out from your list:
A Shot in the Dark – the best Pink Panther film, and
Kind Hearts and Coronets – probably the best Ealing comedy and one of my favourite films.
Old 16th July 2016, 05:01 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
A couple stand out from your list:
A Shot in the Dark – the best Pink Panther film, and
Kind Hearts and Coronets – probably the best Ealing comedy and one of my favourite films.
Loved both of those two, Nos! I hadn't seen Kind Hearts before and thought it was excellent. The ending is perfect too!

Like this? Share it using the links below!