Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th July 2016, 10:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

SATAN'S BLADE – Slasher films might be the most formulaic of genre product, but quite a few of them, mostly the ones made by regional independent filmmakers, are downright weird. In the last couple of years, Arrow and 88 have revamped many of these eccentrics, films which might be seen by many as being down at the bottom of the slasher barrel – the likes of 'X Ray', 'Blood Rage' etc etc. 'Satan's Blade' looks set to join this illustrious list, for at least a few minutes of its run time anyway. It opens with a bank robbery which segues into a double murder in an isolated cabin. At this point, 'Satan's Blade' is hitting all the right buttons, being creakily made, casually sordid and laughably violent. It looks and feels like a dirty exploitation film with goods to deliver. After the focus shifts onto the escapades of two groups of holiday makers who rent said isolated cabin, things take a bit of a dive. 'Satan's Blade's main problem is that it's really boring. That's a shame, because it's bookended by some good stuff – the opening with the robbers, and the end, which at least delivers some solid slashing, an atmosphere of doom and an absolutely crazy rationale for the killings which almost blasts the film into orbit. But the filling of this sandwich is not good. Some will find sustenance in the bad acting – seriously, there's some really bad acting here, of the kind that seems nearly parodic. It's as if the ensemble have some kind of social co-ordination deficit. This is charming (or, if you're not a fan, distracting and ruinous) for a while, but there's just too much wandering about and irrelevance. People go fishing, get drunk, go on soul searching walks in the snowy woods. You can try to enliven it by concentrating on the bad aesthetics, and there are a couple of effective horror sequences here and there, but it's dull. However, despite being the jaded hack that I am, I've sat through so much shit over the years that sometimes even a glimmer of originality, or a certain image in the right place at the right time, can save a film for me. And so it is with 'Satan's Blade', which certainly wins a few crowns for its bonkers concept – a weapon inhabited by the spirit of a 'giant man' from the mountains that possesses its 'victim', turns them into a slasher, then hops from host to host via a plot device that seems to be based on Arthurian legend. Quite dizzying, and I wish the whole enterprise had lived up to this level of mentalness. As it stands, 'Satan's Blade' will certainly appeal to fans of knackered eighties freakishness, but be prepared for a lengthy trudge midstream.
Old 19th July 2016, 07:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks (1976)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 20th July 2016, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
SATAN'S BLADE – Slasher films might be the most formulaic of genre product, but quite a few of them, mostly the ones made by regional independent filmmakers, are downright weird. In the last couple of years, Arrow and 88 have revamped many of these eccentrics, films which might be seen by many as being down at the bottom of the slasher barrel – the likes of 'X Ray', 'Blood Rage' etc etc. 'Satan's Blade' looks set to join this illustrious list, for at least a few minutes of its run time anyway. It opens with a bank robbery which segues into a double murder in an isolated cabin. At this point, 'Satan's Blade' is hitting all the right buttons, being creakily made, casually sordid and laughably violent. It looks and feels like a dirty exploitation film with goods to deliver. After the focus shifts onto the escapades of two groups of holiday makers who rent said isolated cabin, things take a bit of a dive. 'Satan's Blade's main problem is that it's really boring. That's a shame, because it's bookended by some good stuff – the opening with the robbers, and the end, which at least delivers some solid slashing, an atmosphere of doom and an absolutely crazy rationale for the killings which almost blasts the film into orbit. But the filling of this sandwich is not good. Some will find sustenance in the bad acting – seriously, there's some really bad acting here, of the kind that seems nearly parodic. It's as if the ensemble have some kind of social co-ordination deficit. This is charming (or, if you're not a fan, distracting and ruinous) for a while, but there's just too much wandering about and irrelevance. People go fishing, get drunk, go on soul searching walks in the snowy woods. You can try to enliven it by concentrating on the bad aesthetics, and there are a couple of effective horror sequences here and there, but it's dull. However, despite being the jaded hack that I am, I've sat through so much shit over the years that sometimes even a glimmer of originality, or a certain image in the right place at the right time, can save a film for me. And so it is with 'Satan's Blade', which certainly wins a few crowns for its bonkers concept – a weapon inhabited by the spirit of a 'giant man' from the mountains that possesses its 'victim', turns them into a slasher, then hops from host to host via a plot device that seems to be based on Arthurian legend. Quite dizzying, and I wish the whole enterprise had lived up to this level of mentalness. As it stands, 'Satan's Blade' will certainly appeal to fans of knackered eighties freakishness, but be prepared for a lengthy trudge midstream.
Any fan of Absurd will be at home then, surely?
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th July 2016, 03:09 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Tanya Roberts gets her norks out.
I'm assuming that's a British thing (forgive my stupid American assumption if it's totally off-base), but I just had to mention that this is the funniest thing I've read on the Internet all month: "norks"

Cheers.
Old 20th July 2016, 03:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
I'm assuming that's a British thing (forgive my stupid American assumption if it's totally off-base), but I just had to mention that this is the funniest thing I've read on the Internet all month: "norks"

Cheers.
I also thought it's a British term but, according to the Urban Dictionary, it is Australian in origin:

Derived from the prominent udders on the cow used to advertise Norco, New South Wales' North Coast Dairy Co-Operative.

Amongst other terms on the website are breasticles, breasts, tits, puppies, gazongas, babylons, and knockers.

It should not be confused with nork, which is apparently a furious session of unlubricated anal sex!

Urban Dictionary: nork

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 21st July 2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 20th July 2016, 03:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I also thought it's a British term but, according to the Urban Dictionary, it is Australian in origin:

Derived from the prominent udders on the cow used to advertise Norco, New South Wales' North Coast Dairy Co-Operative.

Amongst other terms on the website are breasticles, breasts, tits, puppies, gazongas, babylons, and knockers.

It should not be confused with nork, which is apparently a furious session of lubricated anal sex!

Urban Dictionary: nork
Lets not go forgetting tattybojangles!
Old 20th July 2016, 03:26 PM
Cultist

Quote:
breasticles, breasts, tits, puppies, gazongas, babylons, and knockers.
Good stuff. I have been known to use "chesticles" myself. "Babylons" is a new one. I've never used it before.

But I will be.
Old 20th July 2016, 03:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Lets not go forgetting tattybojangles!
Some of the funniest terms I've seen were in the Chuck Palahniuk novel Pygmy. I can't remember them at the moment, but I'm pretty sure 'milk maidens' was one of them. It's a brilliant book and I'm sure I read it contains over 1000 slang terms for breasts.
Old 20th July 2016, 03:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
Good stuff. I have been known to use "chesticles" myself. "Babylons" is a new one. I've never used it before.

But I will be.
I thought that was a pejorative term to infer they are slightly small and shrivelled, slightly resembling the scrotum! That's different to 'spaniel's ears', which are flat ones which slightly hang down.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th July 2016, 03:35 PM
Cultist

Quote:
It's a brilliant book and I'm sure I read it contains over 1000 slang terms for breasts.
Sold.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!