Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2016, 06:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star Trek Beyond

Fantastic stuff. visually stunning with some amazing set pieces. lots of cool Easter eggs for star trek fans and wonderful tribute to the legend that was Leonard Nimoy the main cast work well together and the banter between Spock and Bones is just as good as the original series, with some of the best lines of the film coming from them. For me easily the best Trek movie from the new and old films. even the most jaded old school trekker should enjoy this as it touches on the message of TOS, unity, family and peace over war and violence 9.6/10
Old 26th July 2016, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I also saw Star Trek Beyond today - it was OK, to be honest I think the reviews are a little too enthusiastic and I'd happily score it 3.5/5

There was nothing wrong with it per se and the action was good and the special effects were good and I enjoyed the dialogue for the most but it was a little on the boring side. I think the story itself was the downside, it's nothing we haven't seen before, the crew get separated and they have to get back together to overcome the threat. Spock and Bones were great, the female lead was great as well, I still don't like Chris Pine as Kirk though.

Worth watching for the awe inspiring effects though.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th July 2016, 08:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Star Trek Beyond

Fantastic stuff. visually stunning with some amazing set pieces. lots of cool Easter eggs for star trek fans and wonderful tribute to the legend that was Leonard Nimoy the main cast work well together and the banter between Spock and Bones is just as good as the original series, with some of the best lines of the film coming from them. For me easily the best Trek movie from the new and old films. even the most jaded old school trekker should enjoy this as it touches on the message of TOS, unity, family and peace over war and violence 9.6/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I also saw Star Trek Beyond today - it was OK, to be honest I think the reviews are a little too enthusiastic and I'd happily score it 3.5/5

There was nothing wrong with it per se and the action was good and the special effects were good and I enjoyed the dialogue for the most but it was a little on the boring side. I think the story itself was the downside, it's nothing we haven't seen before, the crew get separated and they have to get back together to overcome the threat. Spock and Bones were great, the female lead was great as well, I still don't like Chris Pine as Kirk though.

Worth watching for the awe inspiring effects though.
How does it compare to the previous two, the JJ Abrams films? I've not much time for the original films either Shatner or Stuart.
Old 26th July 2016, 09:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
How does it compare to the previous two, the JJ Abrams films? I've not much time for the original films either Shatner or Stuart.
Me I enjoyed it more than the first two. But thats just me if you enjoyed the first two you should enjoy this as mentioned its worth seeing just for the draw dropping special effects and some of the set peices and the scenes with Spock and bones. also some nice scenes paying tribute to Nimoy one scene with a photo had a little tear in my eye. Big plus over Abrams no bloody lens flare

In some ways I would say this had more in common with classic star trek with message of humanity working together for the improvement of mankind and the crew being a family and not just a crew as they are in the other two movies
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 26th July 2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 26th July 2016, 09:18 PM
Cult Master

972451-Ninja-III-The-Domination-Posters.jpg

Last time i tried to watch this it was part of a drunken marathon with my mate it was pretty far down the list so i cant remember much. So tonight i decided to give it another go.

The short story is that a woman working for the telephone company tries to help a bloodied man who is a Ninja possessed by an evil Ninja spirit. Her reward for her kindness is that the spirit is passed on to her from the dying man and the spirit uses her to get revenge on the cops the killed his previous body.

Great cheesy fun with some really entertaining fight scenes. The acting is mainly solid for such a film apart from a few extras playing the cops saying stupid things but that adds to the cheesiness of the film. If you are craving some 80s cheesy goodness with an easy on the eye 80s lady in the leading role you could do alot worse than Ninja III. A few beers would be recommended for maximum enjoyment.

8/10 for pure good times.
Old 26th July 2016, 09:27 PM
Cult Master

81ZYUHunxDL._SL1500_.jpg

Im sure i do not have to go into any details about this one as im pretty sure everyone here has seen it already but if you some how missed out you really are missing out. I love this film to Pieces Sorry i could not resist

I have watched this film more times than most films in my collection its just a blast of a film bad dubbing included. I love the gore and how every single person acts so overly suspicious so the first time you see it you have no idea who the killer is and the award for most suspicious acting of all time has to go to the gardener and his very suspicious eye

Just a side note the transfer on the Grindhouse Blu Ray is absolutely ridiculous great job by Grindhouse always do a great job.

Also Kendal the most unlikely sex stud in film history
Film 8/10
Transfer 10/10
Old 26th July 2016, 09:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

10,000 BC (2008)

OTT historical epic from blockbuster king Roland Emmerich. Date and time line wise it's all over the place and doesn't bare the least bit of scrutiny - we have mammoths being used in the building of the pyramids for a start - however it's a lot of fun and in true Emmerich style very spectacular.

This is the second time i've watched the dvd and the second time i've really enjoyed it.

Old 26th July 2016, 09:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Me I enjoyed it more than the first two. But thats just me if you enjoyed the first two you should enjoy this as mentioned its worth seeing just for the draw dropping special effects and some of the set peices and the scenes with Spock and bones. also some nice scenes paying tribute to Nimoy one scene with a photo had a little tear in my eye. Big plus over Abrams no bloody lens flare

In some ways I would say this had more in common with classic star trek with message of humanity working together for the improvement of mankind and the crew being a family and not just a crew as they are in the other two movies
I just can't get over how silly all these new actors seem trying to be characters they're just not.
Old 27th July 2016, 07:02 AM
Cult Addict

Sweet body of Deborah

This scene (unintentionally) really sold the film to me. Outside of this bonkers scene Deborah is a solid early giallo with some neat twists. The German Blu-ray looks astonishing.

Death walks on high heels

After her jewel thief father is killed, a caberet performer is terrorised by a black gloved killer looking for the stash of diamonds he stole. She hooks up with some mild mannered rich englishman and moves to england. Unfotunately the killer follows her there. In all honesty this is a little uneaven in places however overall its a decent Giallo given a great re-master by Arrow. Some moments fall flat but the final third is stong enough for me to rate it.

Death walks at midnight

A model experimenting with Acid witnesses a crime in a neigbouring apartment. The question is how much of it was real and how much drug induced hallucination. This being a giallo she decides to play miss marple and winds up in mortal danager!
Another solid giallo. This ones better than high heels and is certainly a more consistant film throughout. Another solid re-master job from Arrow.

Wake up and kill

Proto Poliziotteschi where a dissafected grocers son takes up a life of crime operating a smash & grab routine that escalates to armed robbery. The films also details the police efforts to stop him. Apparantly this is based on a real story but regardless its solidly entertaining with some great performances and consistantly entertaining. Its perhaps not as lurid as later efforts and feels very neo-realist in places but its worth checking out. There is some evident print damage on Arrows transfer but overall it looks great...

I'm not even caught up on reviews!
Old 27th July 2016, 08:20 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
It's better than the second one but not as good as the first one! I hope that helps Of course Treb might say the opposite haha
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!