Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2016, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Decision at Sundown (1957)

Bart Allison (Randolph Scott) rides into a sleepy town named Sundown with the intention of killing local boss Tate Kimbrough (John Carroll) by sundown.

Some years earlier Kimbrough had an affair with Allison’s wife who later committed suicide. Tensions build as sundown approaches, not just between Allison and Kimbrough, but among the townspeople as well.

Decision at Sundown is another Budd Boetticher film again teaming up with Randolph Scott. However it's a different beast altogether from the usual plain galloping mayhem the duo usually give us. Although not studio bound it's set solely in town following the opening scenes.

Scott, playing against type is a mainly unlikable character his sole focus is killing Kimbrough and the tension rises during the first half hour, however it grinds to a halt soon after with Scott holed up in a stable and nothing much really happens until the conclusion which plays out as a damp squib with the inevitable showdown failing to materialize and Kimbrough and Allison leaving town in different directions to start new lives elsewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luIFu6k.jpg (42.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 13th August 2016, 08:50 AM
Active Cultist

ID2 - Shadwell Army

ID2: Shadwell Army (2016) - IMDb

A young British Asian, Mo is a fast-rising police officer who goes under cover infiltrating Shadwell's resurgent hooligan element, who are fired up by Shadwells's takeover by a Russian oligarch and their unlikely adventure into European competition. Mo quickly becomes embroiled in the local schism between the BNP and EDL and plans to build a new mosque in the shadow of the Shadwell ground creates an explosive environment in which football and political violence form a perfect storm of social unrest. In the midst of this, Mo is faced with the essential existential question of of who he really is and where he really belongs. It's 20 years on and clever Trevor is now chief super, but what happens to the rest of the gang?

Now i loved the first ID film watched it so many times and still quote it amongst friends, so it was going to be difficult to follow it up with something just as gripping and entertaining, and for me that's proven right, its nice to see some of the actors back Gumbo, Trevor and Eddie (3 of them) but Reece Dinsdale and Sean Pertwee and noticable in their abscence, and obviously Warren Clarke (RIP). Its not a disaster of a movie i just found it hard to like the main Character, and the story is really just a rehash of the first with EDL ties added in, you just never get the sense of friendship with this group.
Old 13th August 2016, 01:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE BASEMENT – 'The Basement' has a slightly odd history in that it seems to have been partially made in the late eighties, shelved, then completed around 2010. It comes across as a fannish labour of love, an amateur production maybe a notch or two up from Nathan Schiff, but essentially operating out of the same backyard with the same dodgy 8mm camera. It's about four people who find themselves in a basement – or rather, in THE Basement. They meet a grim reaper type who tells them that they're going to have to face up to their 'future crimes', which we get to witness case by case as the film unfolds in portmanteau fashion. 'The Basement' is quite a jarring experience. It was obviously made by horror nerds (I notice J R Bookwalter gets a credit for something, and no-one but a horror geek is going to come up with a line like “fu*k you and fu*k George Romero!”). Alas, in this case the horror nerds in question appear to have no real feel for the terrain. Tonally, 'The Basement' veers from sophomoric humour to gory excess. I can take technically bad cinema (obviously), but it has to fall together on some level, or be potent or just aggravating... in the right way. 'The Basement' doesn't have any of this going for it. It has a few surges and delivers some visceral thrills, but then fires blanks and messes around. Some bad decisions were made on the post production side of things - the recently added dubbing for example, which unfortunately seems to be going for a 'humourous voice' angle and really harms the more serious bits. Aesthetically, a couple of the individual stories are just lame, like the opener with the swimming pool that 'eats' people. One thing they did get right was the fx work, which is primitive but full on back-of-the-VHS-box type prosthetics and obviously had a lot of time and effort spent on it, make-up effects being one of the areas that the new generation of horror fanboys used to distinguish themselves in the eighties. It's a shame 'The Basement' couldn't quite harness the imagination and energy evident during the second and fourth of its stories, for it is in these places that the film comes into its own as a gleeful parade of the grotesque. Ultimately, it's less a realised whole and more a series of fragments, images and ideas that sometimes work, more often don't. The same could be said of a lot of no budget genre filmmaking, however. 'The Basement' is worth checking out as a curiosity, and I guess as a testament to the enthusiasm of fans, and I feel that it's best summed up by the music that plays over the end credits – out of tune and out of time heavy metal, played badly for laughs maybe, maybe not.
Old 13th August 2016, 01:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE BASEMENT – 'The Basement' has a slightly odd history in that it seems to have been partially made in the late eighties, shelved, then completed around 2010. It comes across as a fannish labour of love, an amateur production maybe a notch or two up from Nathan Schiff, but essentially operating out of the same backyard with the same dodgy 8mm camera. It's about four people who find themselves in a basement – or rather, in THE Basement. They meet a grim reaper type who tells them that they're going to have to face up to their 'future crimes', which we get to witness case by case as the film unfolds in portmanteau fashion. 'The Basement' is quite a jarring experience. It was obviously made by horror nerds (I notice J R Bookwalter gets a credit for something, and no-one but a horror geek is going to come up with a line like “fu*k you and fu*k George Romero!”). Alas, in this case the horror nerds in question appear to have no real feel for the terrain. Tonally, 'The Basement' veers from sophomoric humour to gory excess. I can take technically bad cinema (obviously), but it has to fall together on some level, or be potent or just aggravating... in the right way. 'The Basement' doesn't have any of this going for it. It has a few surges and delivers some visceral thrills, but then fires blanks and messes around. Some bad decisions were made on the post production side of things - the recently added dubbing for example, which unfortunately seems to be going for a 'humourous voice' angle and really harms the more serious bits. Aesthetically, a couple of the individual stories are just lame, like the opener with the swimming pool that 'eats' people. One thing they did get right was the fx work, which is primitive but full on back-of-the-VHS-box type prosthetics and obviously had a lot of time and effort spent on it, make-up effects being one of the areas that the new generation of horror fanboys used to distinguish themselves in the eighties. It's a shame 'The Basement' couldn't quite harness the imagination and energy evident during the second and fourth of its stories, for it is in these places that the film comes into its own as a gleeful parade of the grotesque. Ultimately, it's less a realised whole and more a series of fragments, images and ideas that sometimes work, more often don't. The same could be said of a lot of no budget genre filmmaking, however. 'The Basement' is worth checking out as a curiosity, and I guess as a testament to the enthusiasm of fans, and I feel that it's best summed up by the music that plays over the end credits – out of tune and out of time heavy metal, played badly for laughs maybe, maybe not.

I thought for a second you were going to review the Danny Dyer film with the same title!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 13th August 2016, 01:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I thought for a second you were going to review the Danny Dyer film with the same title!
Nice to hear you're still on your Dyer kick. I've seen it, can't remember much about it though apart from him going around London in a car for an hour and a half.
Old 13th August 2016, 01:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

... on seconds thoughts, that was 'Deviation', another film close to your heart...
Old 13th August 2016, 01:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
... on seconds thoughts, that was 'Deviation', another film close to your heart...
Yep, The Basement is just a couple of people in a basement that tested my Dyer love and endless scenes of corridors. I think Dyer took it after being shunned by the UK film scene for being himself!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 13th August 2016, 01:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I quite like how Dyer can either look really dense or quite psychopathic depending on his expression. Other than that, I don't really rate him. I'm sure I'm missing something, MTDS.
Old 13th August 2016, 01:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I quite like how Dyer can either look really dense or quite psychopathic depending on his expression. Other than that, I don't really rate him. I'm sure I'm missing something, MTDS.
Nope, what you see is what you get with Dyer.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 13th August 2016, 02:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Nope, what you see is what you get with Dyer.
Yeah, but not everyone has seen him naked like you have.

Like this? Share it using the links below!