Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179447Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2017, 05:12 PM
Cult Addict

Fender Bender

A mysterious killer in a beat up old car gets into collisions with people so he can get their addresses then terrorise and murder them.
The film is another one of those 'throw back' type films that tries to emulate the sort of low budget slasher flicks that used to be in vogue in the 80's. In fairness the film isn't that original but it does its thing well, its nasty without becoming a gore fest and handles the tension well. The obligatory synth score is terrific.

Minds eye

Almost in the same vein as Fender bender, this one is from the director of Almost Human (no not the Lenzi one!) and actually manages to deliver a film that riffs on scanners and other Cronenberg films. Once again we have a synth score that the film demands is played loud (nicked from Driller Killer) and the blood flows freely. This one is also an awful lot of fun.
Old 9th January 2017, 05:20 PM
Cult Addict

Proxy

The first disappointment. The films boasts influences from Rosemary's baby but that's BS. Its a dark-as-hell character based drama with theme of Munchhausen by proxy that opens with a genuinely horrible scene and then loses its way. Its central problem is that the people involved seemed not to have any real focus and the film could easily have been shortened and used a re-write. That said it has some interesting ideas but ends up being the wrong side of 5/10

Silence
This one will inevitably bore the hell out of a some of its audience. I liked it but its ones for people who managed Kundun and Last Temptation of christ only. Essentially it explores the Christian missionary's to Japan and the persecution of the hidden Christians by Japanese authorities. It really gets down to exploring the ethics of transporting a faith to a country when it provokes such bloodshed and suffering. It also deals with issues over berlief, suffering and sacrifice that make it a bit too cerebral for popcorn fodder. I liked it though.
Old 9th January 2017, 06:48 PM
Cultist

Dead Mary (2007)
It's always nice to see Dominique Swain, though I wish she'd get more high profile work. On occasion, throughout Dead Mary, I was reminded of the original Evil Dead.
Old 9th January 2017, 06:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th Fella View Post
Dead Mary (2007)
It's always nice to see Dominique Swain, though I wish she'd get more high profile work. On occasion, throughout Dead Mary, I was reminded of the original Evil Dead.
I do have Dead Mary but have only watched it the one time. Is it the one that ends up playing out at the cemetery?
The 4th Fella and keirarts like this.
Old 9th January 2017, 07:00 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I do have Dead Mary but have only watched it the one time. Is it the one that ends up playing out at the cemetery?
No, it's set around a lakeside cabin, in the middle of a woodland area.
Old 9th January 2017, 07:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
No, it's set around a lakeside cabin, in the middle of a woodland area.
Damn! I was thinking of Urban Legends: Bloody Mary.

Amazon says i ordered Dead Mary on 11/07/2013. It's not ringing any bells now. I'll have to dig it out and give it a rewatch.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th January 2017, 07:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Amazon says i ordered Dead Mary on 11/07/2013. It's not ringing any bells now. I'll have to dig it out and give it a rewatch.
I was wondering why the description confused me, but that's because I was I was thinking of American Mary, which is completely different.

I don't believe I've seen Dead Mary, but it's available from Amazon for £1.27 with free next day delivery, so I'll probably buy it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th January 2017, 07:13 PM
Cultist

Quote:

I've never seen the Urban Legend sequels, are they worth watching?
Old 9th January 2017, 07:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've never seen the Urban Legend sequels, are they worth watching?
Yes, i think so. The second one has some lovely gory set pieces. Plus they are connected in name only.
Old 9th January 2017, 07:27 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Yes, i think so. The second one has some lovely gory set pieces. Plus they are connected in name only.
Ok, i'll keep a look out for them.

Like this? Share it using the links below!