Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2017, 02:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Annabelle

I decided to watch this tonight because I watched on live cam them moving the original Annabelle from its original case to another case .
Not 100% sure why I think it was more of a portable case so they can carry around to take on lectures . and feed naughty kids to .
They wore protected gloves and said a prayer then lifted her from its place and placed into the other case then said another prayer. It was a interesting watch but not much to it and only lasted around 8mins, I was expecting a bit more, eg a bit of history and background of the doll & story, and maybe a closer look of the doll before putting it into its case ..

Now let's be fair we all have some interest in supposedly true stories like these .
I say supposedly because im referring to ghost \ possession \ haunted etc stories like Amityville horror etc where stories of serial killers we know are true and did happen .
Now to me I honestly don't believe the whole Annabelle story and there no real proof to back it up except the owners story ...and what they say

Now if you don't know anything about the story films like these slightly irritate me because it had no real connection at all about the doll except the film was based on a doll and really used Annabelle name to cash in and get a wider and bigger audience. And if you don't know that then you would walk away from the cinema thinking this was the story...if it was just stand alone film then no problem but it is giving slight impression its based of the doll ..
After all i had to once explain to someone paranormal activity wasnt true .. But she wouldn't have it because at the end before titles it gave a brief outline of the story as if it was true and because of that she believed it was true otherwise why write that at the end ..face palm

The film itself was half decent and watchable but several element's of the film annoyed me , like for starters scare tactics where the music suddenly BOOMs making you reach for the remote control ready to turn it down..and making you jump in same way as if you walking along street and a friend jumped out from nowhere and loudly shouted boo . grr no need that's not scare tactics more of giving you a bloody heart attack tactics, a horror will scare you and keep you edge of your seat on what's happening with atmospheric music in the background.
Several scenes reminded me of other horrors like Exorcist and omen where she was pushing the pram with the child in, she had both hands on the pram, then suddenly bent down to pick her keys up that she dropped, while doing so the pram rolled into the road and got hit by a truck.. But that's OK the child was safe because she had hold of it in her arms close to her chest. was this some sort of magic trick to impress pen & teller I like to know if it fooled them in how she did it.

Personally if I was to watch a story based on something true like a doll , I would watch a independent film of it than a Hollywood film for several reason, but main reason being is the makers of the indie film would research the story and try to stick as closely as they could to supposedly the real facts, where the Hollywood film would put there own spin on it and exaggerate to suit themselves .

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 23rd February 2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Corrected the title
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:33 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Is this a review of Annabelle, the film set before the events in The Conjuring, or a similarly titled cash-in film, also with a doll?

keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Is this a review of Annabelle, the film set before the events in The Conjuring, or a similarly titled cash-in film, also with a doll?

Yes ..

I've never seen the conjuring either .
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:07 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Yes ..

I've never seen the conjuring either .
I wasn't sure because you put 'Annabella', so I didn't know if that was a typo or a different film with a very similar title. I hope you don't mind me changing Annabella to Annabelle.

The Conjuring is much better than Annabelle, but still relies too heavily on jump scares rather than atmosphere and suspense to unsettle the audience.
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I wasn't sure because you put 'Annabella', so I didn't know if that was a typo or a different film with a very similar title. I hope you don't mind me changing Annabella to Annabelle.

The Conjuring is much better than Annabelle, but still relies too heavily on jump scares rather than atmosphere and suspense to unsettle the audience.
Ah right no worries, cheers . It was late when I wrote it and didn't realise if I had spelt it right or not..
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:15 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Ah right no worries, cheers . It was late when I wrote it and didn't realise if I had spelt it right or not..
Not a problem – I just wanted to tread the fine line between making sure others weren't confused like me and offend you by changing the original post.
gag likes this.
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Not a problem – I just wanted to tread the fine line between making sure others weren't confused like me and offend you by changing the original post.
I'm extremely offended tbh I'm traumatised about it I'm in tears here while writing this
Going have to go Dr tomorrow for counselling ..

Feel free to correct anytime you want... There you got my blessing son .
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:37 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm extremely offended tbh I'm traumatised about it I'm in tears here while writing this
Going have to go Dr tomorrow for counselling ..

Feel free to correct anytime you want... There you got my blessing son .
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:43 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Hidden Figures
I saw this yesterday too, I found it to be a very rewarding watch. I really enjoyed it. While the civil rights movement and segregation are well known topics, I didn't really know any of the details about this and I wish to know more based on the film which I guess serves the purpose.

Outstanding performances by everyone, even teased out a bit of emotion from me at the end

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd February 2017, 10:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I don't like beans much and if I did I prefer the to be warm and not cool ..

Like this? Share it using the links below!