Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179018Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2017, 03:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

Well you missed a great one there. A better Bond film than the Bond films are these days.

Saw Beauty and the Beast at the cinema today. I was a bit on the skeptical side, as it's not really my usual cup of tea and in all honesty I probably wouldn't have bothered but for the fact I like Emma Watson, but I actually generally really enjoyed it. One or two of the songs had me rolling my eyes and went on a bit too long but for the most part it was really, really fun, bouyed by the lovely lead actress (certainly the best thing she's done since Perks, hopefully The Circle will be great too). Had a really good time with this.
Old 27th March 2017, 10:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default District 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As far as I can work out, The BBFC only tend to give 18 certificates to films with a combination of extreme violence, drug use, and a lot of swearing or sexual violence, which is a very big deal down at Soho Square.
It probably helped that Sharlto Copley uses a "fook" or "fooking" pronunciation with his South African accent.
Old 27th March 2017, 11:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I've seen a few films over the last few days, some better than others.
I was expecting the worst for Manhattan Baby but I pleasantly surprised, the plot didn't make any sense after the midway point but it was fun, the soundtrack was amazing! I found myself being pretty annoyed by the aupair throwing the photograph on the grass when it wouldn't develop that really stuck with me haha.
Aenigma, I expected the worst and it's pretty much lived up to it. Some of the deaths didn't make any sense, death by snails, why didn't she just stand up and shake them off some parts were effective though, like when the slutty girl found her boyfriend with the top of his head missing and every time she left room she ended up back in the bedroom. Ultimately rubbish though.
I was very surprised by Resident Evil 5, I actually really enjoyed watching that one, it seems to have the Star Trek curse in reverse, odd numbers good even numbers bad These films are LOUD I felt sorry for my neighbours watching this, even in the day time, the bass was booming all over.
On Her Majesty's Secret Service was a virgin viewing for me, I'm watching my Bond BD set in order - although not under any kind of schedule, just as and when. This was best one since Dr No and a welcome break from Connery to be honest. Really shocked by the downbeat ending, poor Diana Rigg. Loved it!
Went to see Kong yesterday in the cinema, I'm afraid to say it's pretty boring. Really good visuals, cringe making script and a rubbish story. It's worth a watch, but wait for it to be on Sky Movies/Netflix to be honest, the high (and dropping every day) score on Rotten Tomatoes is misleading.
Your Vice ...Edwige and Anita is all you need to know really, Boobs and Blades.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th March 2017, 12:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nice post, Justin.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 27th March 2017, 12:15 PM
Cult Addict

Life

the crew of the international space station bring aboard soil samples from mars. In these samples they discover a single celled organism that begins to grow. Eventually it becomes hostile and escapes. The crew must try and destroy it to prevent it getting to earrth where it could end all life.
Life is a decent enough little sci-fi horror that doesn't quite gel like it should. Ive seen worse and there are no glaring errors like with Prometheus, but at its heart the film is a fairly by the numbers retread of films like It: terror from beyond space or Alien. Theres a twist that doesn't quite work and feels like its been placed there for shock value alone, though I'll have to rewatch it. Overall its a serviceable enough little movie.
Old 27th March 2017, 12:47 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Life

the crew of the international space station bring aboard soil samples from mars. In these samples they discover a single celled organism that begins to grow. Eventually it becomes hostile and escapes. The crew must try and destroy it to prevent it getting to earrth where it could end all life.
Life is a decent enough little sci-fi horror that doesn't quite gel like it should. Ive seen worse and there are no glaring errors like with Prometheus, but at its heart the film is a fairly by the numbers retread of films like It: terror from beyond space or Alien. Theres a twist that doesn't quite work and feels like its been placed there for shock value alone, though I'll have to rewatch it. Overall its a serviceable enough little movie.
Have you seen Kong yet? I had to decide between those 2 films yesterday and chose Kong which again was OK but nothing special, wonder if I made the right choice of film.

Old 27th March 2017, 01:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

My viewing so far this year.

https://letterboxd.com/stuwyatt/films/diary/
Old 27th March 2017, 02:18 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypedro View Post
I can't believe you liked Massacre in Dinosaur Valley better than Absurd

In the spirit of sharing this is my list for 2017 so far https://letterboxd.com/jmc/films/diary/for/2017/
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Old 27th March 2017, 02:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I find Massacre a very enjoyable yet cheesy movie and helps that i am a big fan of Cannibal and Jungle adventure movies. Absurd was pretty good but didn't enjoy it as much although i do think it is so much better than Anthropophagus.
Justin101, Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 27th March 2017, 03:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

On Her Majesty's Secret Service was a virgin viewing for me, I'm watching my Bond BD set in order - although not under any kind of schedule, just as and when. This was best one since Dr No and a welcome break from Connery to be honest. Really shocked by the downbeat ending, poor Diana Rigg. Loved it!
That's my favourite Bond film and, for my money, the best one ever made. I'm probably in the minority, but I think George Lazenby is a good Bond and has been unfairly maligned by critics and fans alike.

Like this? Share it using the links below!