Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2017, 04:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I used a plural as there were four films in the set.
You used it incorrectly then
Old 27th April 2017, 04:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
You used it incorrectly then
Yes you're right. The film itself is the single article - giallo.

In my mind i was thinking of the four films in the box - gialli.
sjconstable likes this.
Old 27th April 2017, 05:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BIOHAZARD – A military investigation into Angelique Pettyjohn's psychic powers brings back a homicidal mutant who looks like a kid in a monster costume (cos that's basically what it is). 'Biohazard' is the kind of cheapskate production that sets out to ask the question “what can I do with my kid, his monster costume, a load of fake guns and Aldo Ray?” before providing the answer we all saw coming, which has to do with people wandering around a lot, talking and occasionally being killed. Weirdly enough, I have a lot of time for 'Biohazard' and its ilk. There's something infectious about it that's difficult to pinpoint. This 'something' might well boil down to the sheer will to make cinema no matter what the conditions, no matter how cheap or how essentially pointless. You don't really get that kind of thing nowadays – throwing your relatives in front of a HD camera doesn't count in the same way, and besides, the tone of things was different back then, being goofy as well as serious rather than just cynically knowing. The era of Fred Olen Ray flicks feels strangely and sadly distant somehow. Anyway, I liked 'Biohazard' and maybe you will too.

TIME WALKER – Intriguing little number from the early eighties seems to want to work that whole 'mummy on the loose' thing in with the slasher format. It goes one step further with a baffling ET inspired climax that might warm your heart a bit if you're not the kind of jaded freak who spends most of their time watching rubbish exploitation films from years ago (not just me, then). 'Time Walker' is set on a campus where some kind of archaeological experiment results in a mummy rising from its sarcophagus to pursue those who have nicked some scared jewels. The mummy is also an alien with flesh rotting mould-related powers, and kind of glides along instead of lurching. 'Time Walker' has a lot of interesting weirdness going for it in the ideas department, but unfortunately smothers it in hugely pedestrian filmmaking and stylistic dullness – cinematic competence (but no more) always comes as a slight disappointment with films like this. So, could've done with being a bit more gonzo, but still I was entertained.

DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE - Sleazy slasheresque scuzz from the late seventies / early eighties, DATP probably finds its nearest kin in 'Maniac', that quintessential downer from roughly the same period. Basically, a body building photographer hates women and goes around strangling them with their breasts out – a detective teams up with a radio psychologist to track him down. The scenes with central weirdo Nicholas Worth and his babbling, foam-mouthed performance are similar in tone to the Joe Spinell vintage, and are really the high points of a film which loses a bit too much ground to dull police procedural. Despite the presence of such distractions, the murkiness at DATP's core is fairly pungent, and makes it feel a lot more graphic then it actually is – there aren't even that many kills, and, before I stuck it in the machine the other day, I remembered it as being a lot more icky on the sexual violence front than it actually is. I guess it's all about atmosphere, and, by way of example, the excellent synth soundtrack pushes quite an alienated mood in places.
Great reviews as always ....I too have a soft spot for Biohazard. Turgid and scuzzy is a hard trick to pull off ... but it manages admirably
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th April 2017, 06:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Indigenous (2014)

On the whole Indigenous or Prey as it known over here is nothing particularly special or indeed new. It's scenario of American students on holiday in the wilds of South America, in this case Panama, has been done to death in far better films than this.

The first hour smacks of The Ruins (2008) and Turistas (2006) but in those two examples the actors were of a higher standard and the script was far superior. Indigenous is, to put it bluntly, a chore for a good hour of it's 90 minute run time. It's only when the youths come under attack does it spark into life and even then it feels as if we are watching a poor mans The Descent (2005)...

....and then something odd happens. One of the kids actually gets a signal on their mobile and uploads a short video of their ordeal which immediately goes viral. Before you know it, the Panamanian jungle is swarming with soldiers and press helicopters and the world is watching the fight for survival between American youths and the legendary Chupacabra, cool but nasty looking primal creatures on the hunt.

In the end the film was actually a wake up call with a totally surprising finale. I'm loath to recommend it due to the tedium early doors, but at least come the end it is a little bit different which i think should be applauded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indigenous.jpg (58.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 27th April 2017, 07:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Need suggestions for underrated/obscure 80's horrors with a hint of cheese
Old 27th April 2017, 07:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Need suggestions for underrated/obscure 80's horrors with a hint of cheese
Not all massively obscure (or with a whiff of cheese) but here are some of my favourites:

Top Obscure & Under-rated Horror Films (filtered for 1980s only).
Old 27th April 2017, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Of Unknown Origin (1983; George P Comatos)
Unusual Canadian home invasion film. Robocop has problems. Problems at work ...problems at home. When wifey (...introducing Shannon Tweed no less ) bustles off to sponge off her parents, the stage is set. This is an odd wee flick. Is it about the innate savagery of man? Is it about mental collapse? Is it in fact a tawdry stalk/slasher disguised as above?
....I only ever fell asleep during 2 films. This and The House Where Evil Dwells. Am glad to report this did not reoccur....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th April 2017, 09:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Not all massively obscure (or with a whiff of cheese) but here are some of my favourites:

Top Obscure & Under-rated Horror Films (filtered for 1980s only).
Some great films on this list, Bub

Fade to Black is a fine film that you might have missed as is Eyes of a Stranger.
Old 27th April 2017, 10:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Leon (1994, Luc Besson)
"No women ... no kids"
Whilst Oldman stampedes around like the spoiltest brat ever ... Reno quitely steals the film from under him. A stoic 'cleaner' finds his humanity after an uncharacteristic act of charity. A fairytale for HK fans ... this still rocks the party.
Still hate Sting though ...

Horrors Of The Black Museum (1959, Arthur Crabtree)
Some year this. Luridly coloured to the point of eyestrain (or I may have been sitting to close to the TV) this is certainly the lesser of 59's delights; but after a bravura opening the film settles into a fairly seedy rut with Gough oozing condescension from every pore as Plod at his ploddest searches in vain for a crazed killer. Sick little monkey indeed ... the underlying tone of thwarted desire redolent of the period in my opinion ... Network did a decent enough job with this ... Recommended!!

[B]
Old 27th April 2017, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Horrors Of The Black Museum (1959, Arthur Crabtree)
Some year this. Luridly coloured to the point of eyestrain
Eyestrain eh? I have some lovely binoculars you should try...

Really like HOTBM. Grows on me with each viewing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!