Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th May 2017, 11:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is that the one where nothing happens at all until the last five minutes when the group are attacked and get dragged off in broad daylight? You only see Bigfoot in the distance, the main threat is hill billies?
Yeah it was the hill folks were protecting the myth
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th May 2017, 12:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Alien: Covenant (2017) - 7/10

Would have preferred more of a substantial story as it didn't seem like they fully took advantage of the Engineer's planet, but really enjoyed the film and will go and see it again.
Old 15th May 2017, 12:06 AM
Ex-member

Sully(2016) Well acted, executed, and made for the most part. I just think it lacked a certain emotional punch that I thought that was coming but never really felt. I might give it another watch maybe its just being in the right mood thing I don't know. 7/10
Old 15th May 2017, 12:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWindows View Post
Sully(2016) Well acted, executed, and made for the most part. I just think it lacked a certain emotional punch that I thought that was coming but never really felt. I might give it another watch maybe its just being in the right mood thing I don't know. 7/10
You are not the only one to think that, my friend saw it and she felt the same way.
Old 15th May 2017, 04:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Runaway (1984 film)

Runaway (1984 film)
The main problem with Michael Crichton's look at the future and its world full of domesticated robots is that most of them are not exactly scary looking, in fact, the majority of them look like the kind of robots you use to get in the early episodes of Robot Wars, most are just glorified looking Henry vacuum cleaners that give people electric shocks.The fact that you need a special police force just to disarm robots that go a bit mental, would suggest that your better off without them and that the lazy buggers of the future should do their own cooking and be cleaning instead of relying on these rubbish looking plastic boxes that seem to be programmed to do the most mundane jobs around the house yet still manage to have the capability to use a magnum or knife on their human owners.Well, its a god job then that on his day off from being a private investigator that Tom Selleck is a member of the runaway squad, sent out to deal with these pesky malfunctioning robots. Not helping matters much is a suave looking Gene Simmons as Dr. Charles Luther, who has managed to get hold of some computer chips that overrides the computer's safety features and turns them into pesky killers. The problem with predicting the future is that the future eventually comes around and when you compare the two they do not seem that different apart from the fact there seems to be a lot of wonky robots on a killing spree.And even though most of the robots resemble Dusty Bin from the gameshow 3-2-1, the most lethal critter is one nicknamed the spider for obvious reasons, and while it does look like its made out of a Meccano set this lethal bleeder tends to jump onto its intended victim, stabs them in the neck and then promptly explodes, taking out themselves and the poor sucker they have latched onto.Effects wise this is no Terminator, in fact, most of the time it is only step up from your average Roger Corman flick meets Battlestar Gallactica in the special effects department.Selleck is his usual affable and good-humoured self while Mr Simmons makes for a splendid bad guy, as he sneers his way through the role splendidly and comes to a sticky end like all good villains should.Runaway is a fun film, only marred by some tacky effects and the 80's hairdos of some of the female cast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg runaway_1984_poster_01.jpg (98.1 KB, 4 views)

Old 15th May 2017, 07:45 AM
Cult Addict

Nausicaa of The Valley of the Wind
The story focuses on humanity on its final brink. in one of the kingdoms, the princess nausicaa is able to communicate with the insects of the toxic forest, one night a ship from the kingdom of tolmekia crashes in the valley and the only things that remains is a princess of the neighbouring Pejite; a scared insect and the embryo of a giant warrior - one of the creatures that helped to destroy the world.
I'll start this part with some frank honesty - i'm not a fan of Studio Ghibli. However I will say that this film is brilliantly, it looks good, the english voice acting cast is great (Patrick Stewart sells it immediately to me) and it plays out at a very good pace.
7/10
Old 15th May 2017, 09:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
I'll start this part with some frank honesty - i'm not a fan of Studio Ghibli.
Get out
I must say though, there are better Ghibli's than Nausicaa. Princess Mononoke has a similar theme as does Pom Poko, they do love a bit of Man vs Nature
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th May 2017, 11:44 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Get out
I must say though, there are better Ghibli's than Nausicaa. Princess Mononoke has a similar theme as does Pom Poko, they do love a bit of Man vs Nature
i don't mind nausicaa, spirited away and princess mononoke, i can't stand howls moving castle or kiki's delivery service however.
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th May 2017, 11:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
i can't stand howls moving castle or kiki's delivery service however.
Those two, along with Ponyo by the Sea are my favourite 5 star Ghibli films
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th May 2017, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

John Agar plays a Nuclear physicist that goes off to investigate some strange readings he finds coming from the aptly named mystery mountain, he is soon taking over by a huge disembodied brain named Gor who has his sites set on global and interstellar conquest, its up to another Brain and the scientist girl friend that possess her dog! Gor while being indestructible while in the body is also a bit of a pervert. 6/10

More Agar, this time he is playing a small town doctor who is suspicious when a body turns up with signs of rapid Progeria, this is linked to the work that was being done with another scientist which involves a grow formula.

the unfortunate scientist, experiment on himself but this lead to madness and a form of Progeria, before passing away he attacks the others scientist starting a fire, which allows one of the experimented animals to escape, yes you guessed what it is. unlike a lot of this films the beastie is pretty easily taking care of. 7.5/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!