Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2017, 11:22 AM
Cult Addict

Wonder Woman
So, our story begins with Diane working in the Louvre and she receives a case from Wayne Enterprises which has a picture of her in WW1, and so our story begins in the Island of Themyscira - home of the amazons and we see Diane as she trains and grows, then one day she spots a plane crash land into the ocean and she saves the pilot, Germans attack and she believes the God of War Ares is behind, so she goes to find and stop him and save the world.
The acting by Gal Gadot is great, Chris Pine however seems to not be used to the extent he could've been for this role. the soundtrack is great but some of the action sequences were rather underwhelming.
6.5/10
Old 4th June 2017, 12:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWindows View Post
Now You See Me 2 - not worth typying out a description of it or what I thought about it overall. All I will say is the first one is a near classic compared to this and its always good to see Freeman and Caine in any role. For those two I won't give this a 0/10.
Don't reckon much of the first one, so think i'll give this a miss.
Old 4th June 2017, 12:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Wonder Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Wonder Woman
So, our story begins with Diane working in the Louvre and she receives a case from Wayne Enterprises which has a picture of her in WW1, and so our story begins in the Island of Themyscira - home of the amazons and we see Diane as she trains and grows, then one day she spots a plane crash land into the ocean and she saves the pilot, Germans attack and she believes the God of War Ares is behind, so she goes to find and stop him and save the world.
The acting by Gal Gadot is great, Chris Pine however seems to not be used to the extent he could've been for this role. the soundtrack is great but some of the action sequences were rather underwhelming.
6.5/10
I know it's received critical acclaim but I'm hugely unexcited by this film. Not sure why.
Old 4th June 2017, 12:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I was going to go and catch an afternoon showing of Wonder Woman but I'm in a serious 'can't be arsed' mood and instead I'm sat here messing around on the internet. I'll probably force myself to go after work tomorrow, it's on at 6pm.
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th June 2017, 01:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead end 2003

Christmas eve a family are driving to spend Christmas with in laws and they decide to take a short cut.

This film can be described as 20 miles of bad road traffic from start to finish it was enjoyable with some twist and turns (no pun intended). It's a like a low budget B movie but worth a watch. 8 out of 10.
Old 4th June 2017, 02:02 PM
Ex-member

The Hateful Eight ~ Bloody Brilliant all round. Amazing cast with some fine performances(although I am getting sick of seeing Michael Madsen onscreen though. Like him early on in his career but damn is presence is a nuisance to me in any movie.)Although all about everything has been done with the western I found this to a refreshing original story and film. Aptly directed by Tarantino(even though I only enjoyed Jackie Brown and Django Unchained from his body of work) As for an overall rating..damn over 3 hrs I wonder if it could have been trimmed 20-30 minutes and still been just as effective. I would go with a 8/10 right now...maybe 9 if I give another go of it again soon.
Old 4th June 2017, 02:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Wolverine (2013)

Extended Edition.

Yes, it’s not as good as Logan. But it more than makes up for the terrible X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Pretty solid stuff overall.

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 4th June 2017, 04:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Another quick round up.

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

Leonardo DiCaprio excels once again under the tutelage of Martin Scorsese in this biting biographical black comedy on the life of Wall Street stock broker Jordan Belfort. Very funny in it's excess but also great in it's advice on the ultimate sales pitch. However it's definitely satire rather than glorification. Even Jonah Hill can't ruin a Scorsese film. With five films together DiCaprio has become the 21st century's De Niro as Scorsese's go to guy.

Whisky Galore! (1949)

Although this Ealing comedy has it's moments it's not what you would call funny. What it is though is a tremendous, timeless, comical drama about a remote Scottish island community who run out of whisky only to discover a ship wreck holding 50,000 cases of the malted goodness. Cue games of cat and mouse as the islanders attempt to seize the treasure from under the noses of the stuffy local home guard leader.

Django Kills Softly (1967)

Standard Italian rip off with plenty of gun play and less of a convincing plot. Unoriginal but still decent if unmemorable entertainment. As Django, George Eastman is at his handsome, smoothest best.

Microwave Massacre (1983)

Troma like nonsense starring comedian Jackie Vernon. Marginally exploitative although the title is misleading to say the least and personally it never betters it's opening scene. Arrow's bd/dvd transfer is so much better than a film such as this deserves.
Old 4th June 2017, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Django Kills Softly (1967)

Standard Italian rip off with plenty of gun play and less of a convincing plot. Unoriginal but still decent if unmemorable entertainment. As Django, George Eastman is at his handsome, smoothest best.
I'm listening...

I quite fancy Whisky Galore now, I've never seen it but it sounds really good!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th June 2017, 06:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm listening...

I quite fancy Whisky Galore now, I've never seen it but it sounds really good!

Whisky Galore! is very good. I think you'd like it.

One fella, let's call him J, is on his death bed at the thought of no more whisky, last rites and all, as soon as he hears of the wreck he's out of bed and away.

Like this? Share it using the links below!