Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179409Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2017, 03:24 AM
Active Cultist

Among The Living, 2014. 8/10
Directors: Julien Maury, Alexandre Bustillo

Finally found this film with subtitles! This was brutal as **** but also softly beautiful. It's French, the language and the cinematography, gorgeous.

You all were thinking I was gonna post a violent screenshot! Ha!

Nightcrawler, 2014. 7/10

I don't really like Jake Gyllenhaal but I think this is his best role. Disgusting.

Planet of the Apes, 1968. 10/10.....nothing more to say. : )

Old 19th June 2017, 03:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderlust View Post
Among The Living, 2014. 8/10
Directors: Julien Maury, Alexandre Bustillo

Finally found this film with subtitles! This was brutal as **** but also softly beautiful. It's French, the language and the cinematography, gorgeous.

You all were thinking I was gonna post a violent screenshot! Ha!

Nightcrawler, 2014. 7/10

I don't really like Jake Gyllenhaal but I think this is his best role. Disgusting.

Planet of the Apes, 1968. 10/10.....nothing more to say. : )

Think original planet of the apes TV series and films are utter classics , sadly new films not so .
Never heard Among the living I'll have to find it and watch it .
keirarts likes this.
Old 19th June 2017, 08:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Think original planet of the apes TV series and films are utter classics , sadly new films not so .
Never heard Among the living I'll have to find it and watch it .
the new films are quite good a lot better than the last two classic movies
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 19th June 2017, 09:24 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
the new films are quite good a lot better than the last two classic movies
If you say so!
Old 19th June 2017, 11:07 AM
Cult Addict

Cat Girl

Not bad for 99p. The film owes a debt to the classic Val Lewton with Barbara Shelly playing the troubled Leonora who discovers she has inherited the family curse that means she will turn into a big cat and kill folk. Pretty soon her no-good cheating husband is dispatched by said large moggy leading Leonora to believe the cursr is real. Her Ex decides something more psychological behind things and has her sanctioned. Gradually he begins to pusuade her that its all in her head until there is a twist in the tale.
While not a patch on cat people, Cat Girl isa well worth seeking out if your a fan of British horror. It's competently shot, especially the moody opening. It has a lot of raw sexuality at play for a British film of the 60's including Shelly trying to tear off her clothes while in the nut-house. If it suffers from anything its main problem is some of the stiff performances in the film. Shelly herself is excellent and Ernest milton as her husband is suitably slimy however Robert Ayers exudes the charm and charisma of a plank.

Shopping tour

A russian found footage film where a mother and son go on a coach trip to finland for some duty free bargains. The trip is diverted to a newly opened hypemarket where the guests are treated to some out of hours shopping. Pretty soon they are locked in and the employees begin killing and eating the customers. The mother and son manage to escape but find their nightmare is only just beginning as it turns out the Finns have an annual tradition of eating foreigners and they picked the wrong day for a holiday.
If it hadn't been made as a found footage film this one could have been much better. The central concept for the film is great and it has some nice moments. Unfortunately here the found footage concept feels lazy and uneeded.

Blood tracks

A group of hair metal rockers head into the hills to shoot a muisic video. Trapped by an avalanche they discover a family of mutated killers living in the hills who promptly begin killing people one by one.
Blood tracks is an odd little film. Mid eighties horror made in sweden but made to look like an American horror movie. The band are played by a real band called easy action who aparrently needed copius amounts of booze in order to act. The film itslef in all other regards is fairly by the numbers but the unsual production makes things feel a little more unique. Theres plenty of nudity and some nasty kills in place.

Medusa

A young crook is haunted by his past when dead bodies turned to stone begin popping up around greece.
Its difficult to go too much into medusa as its not really a film where straight up logic is necessary. Inspired by Dario Argento flicks, its a moody, dream-like and surrealistic picture. Greek horror movies are not ten-a-penny which is a shame as this is a ecent little fright flick.
Old 19th June 2017, 01:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Interiors (1978, Woody Allen)

Follow up your Oscar smash hit with a really arty Cassavettes/Bergman mashup about the slow decline of a family after a suicide attempt unvcovers something rotten in the woodshed?
TBH Allen really went for it after Annie Hall inho with this laughfest, Manhattan then the uber sulk of Stardust Memories. Cannot think of another director who did this intentionally .... not in Hollywood anyhow.

I digress.....

Whilst not as heartstoppingly arch as it seems, the film belongs to Geraldine Page ... so if it's acting your after baby....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th June 2017, 02:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Is this a polite way of trying to get rid of me . and If went who you lot going to bully then Eh! Eh!!

Shouldn't I be getting rid of her and concentrating on real love of my life films (shhhhhhhh)
I didn't really say that
You unfeeling brute sir!!

keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th June 2017, 07:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Statham plays a getaway driver / transporter who latest job, goes awry when he finds that is latest job is a young woman in his boot, the peopel who employed him try to have him killed, little do they know what they have unleashed. While it brings nothing new to the table , its a great action film with a OTT 80s feel and Statham is a impressive action hero. 7.5/10

Next up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strippers_vs_werewolves_ver2_xlg.jpg (98.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th June 2017, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
My wife and I just watched Hardcore Henry and both really enjoyed ourselves. Whilst obviously a gimmick film, this first person viewpoint movie is a lot of fun with great stunts, really impeccable use of cgi and an absolutely killer soundtrack. Is hard to believe that Hardcore Henry was reportedly only made for 2 million dollars. Was great to see Sharlto Copley in another starring role (also loved him in District 9). btw This is the first film where my wife wanted to (and did) listen to the commentary track after viewing. Film score - solid 7 out of 10. Recommended viewing for fans of video games, sci-fi and action comedy.
Glad you enjoyed it, it's become one of my 'defaults', the comm is one of the better modern ones yes ...

[B]
Old 19th June 2017, 07:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Should I continue with strippers vs werewolves its just awful and don't get me started on how bad the werewolves look!

Edit

Stopped watching going watch either madhouse or the stuff.

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th June 2017 at 07:46 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!