All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
SATAN'S BLOOD – Seventies Spanish exploitation about a couple who are seduced into occult practices by another, more witchy couple. It has some atmospheric creepiness about it, and there's a degree of Eurosleaze on display I guess, although that amounts to little beyond some people getting nude in a house. Wait on, there is a fairly lurid ceremonial sex murder at the start, so it's not all vanilla. Still, 'Satan's Blood' is at its best when it comes to moments of irrational, dream-like imagery, like the porceliene doll that keeps cropping up, and the strange shots of the devilish couple furtively eating dog food (or human flesh in a plastic bowl, perhaps).

EVILSPEAK – Set in a military academy, where a young misfit discovers he can access demonic powers through t'internet (or whatever the equivalent was back in the days of eighties blocky graphics). I've never been much of a fan of 'Evilspeak' for the simple reason that, aside from a handful of scenes, it's pretty boring. All that high school persecution stuff was done much better in films like 'Carrie', and the rad concept of a computer / satan crossover feels a little stale now and doesn't really carry it. However, in its favour there's some tasty gore in the blow-out bonanza at the end, and I'm always partial to some porcine nastiness. Just could've done with more of the good stuff.

THE EXTERMINATOR – Lean, down and dirty thriller with a Vietnam Vet who's had enough of how rubbish everything is in early eighties NYC. It goes for street level grit and realism, but doesn't forget to include the sheer melodrama of a man being fed into a giant mincing machine. One of the best of those early eighties vigilante exploitation flicks.

PREVENGE – From the great Alice Lowe, 'Prevenge' is about an unborn child wreaking revenge on a set of slimy characters through the medium of its mother. It's a black comedy, and there are some laughs, but the tone is actually pretty bleak. At its core is the loneliness of rainswept, rootless urban existence, with Lowe going from sleazy hotel rooms to appointments with faceless perinatal services in between kills. There's a lot in it, lots of questions, about gender divide and the social administration of bodies. But it's not a Ken Loach film, and does tend to revel in splattery murder from time to time. Maybe I've read it wrong, but was the ending a muted, English-suburban nod to 'Ms 45'? Whatever, 'Prevenge' gets my vote.
Looking forward to Prevenge. Lowe has done nothing substandard imho. Kudos as always F!!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A police detective is investigating a series of brutal murders, we soon from and that body parts are being sent to a young widow, what connection do these murders have to her and her dead husband? Some nice gory kills with a few twists and turns. 7.5/10

Now watching
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:09 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Battleship

Flag waving shit blows up. As I watched it I pondered on how the American military always has time to lend a few tanks and in this case warships to help out the filmmakers. If this was made in the UK, due to never ending cuts to the armed forces, the film makers would be lucky to get a pedalo from the Navy.
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default drinky

Never trust a hippy,never eat meat pies laced with rabies and remember kids never do drugs...

combo_i_drink_your_blood_poster_01.jpg

Old 22nd June 2017, 09:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Battleship

Flag waving shit blows up. As I watched it I pondered on how the American military always has time to lend a few tanks and in this case warships to help out the filmmakers. If this was made in the UK, due to never ending cuts to the armed forces, the film makers would be lucky to get a pedo from the Navy.
Are there many pedo's in the navy...

Old 22nd June 2017, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Are there many pedo's in the navy...
I think each ship has an on-board Chaplin, so yes.
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think each ship has an on-board Chaplin, so yes.
You see. That's why i never joined the Navy. I hate those damn slug balancing acts.
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You see. That's why i never joined the Navy. I hate those damn slug balancing acts.
If you weren't in the Navy, were you the builder, Indian Chief or cop. I can never remember.
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
If you weren't in the Navy, were you the builder, Indian Chief or cop. I can never remember.
You should. You visited the YMCA enough.
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You never know – it could be a real moustache.

Like this? Share it using the links below!