Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2017, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Breakheart Pass (1975)

Charles Bronson's at his best here in this classic yarn based on the best selling Alistair Maclean novel.

A fast paced, action packed, mystery western set in frontier era Rocky Mountain territory. Bronson is on a train where one by one the passengers are murdered, but for what reason? Naturally Bronson is the number one suspect but it quickly becomes clear he's probably the only innocent man on the train as the passage through Indian country becomes a fight for survival.

Richard Crenna, Ben Johnson and Jill Ireland head the cast alongside Bronson in this classy snowbound western adventure.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breakheart_Pass_1975.jpg (33.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 29th August 2017, 10:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Breakheart Pass (1975)

Charles Bronson's at his best here in this classic yarn based on the best selling Alistair Maclean novel.

A fast paced, action packed, mystery western set in frontier era Rocky Mountain territory. Bronson is on a train where one by one the passengers are murdered, but for what reason? Naturally Bronson is the number one suspect but it quickly becomes clear he's probably the only innocent man on the train as the passage through Indian country becomes a fight for survival.

Richard Crenna, Ben Johnson and Jill Ireland head the cast alongside Bronson in this classy snowbound western adventure.

Recommended.
Given the snowy setting (a favourite of mine) i really should have seen this one by now.
Old 30th August 2017, 12:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Yes a utter classic film if there ever was one ....

Also to me a good piece of film making is a film that can be controversial when in reality there isn't much violence or gore in the film ...
Was recently reading that Texas Chainsaw Massacre has hardly any blood in it as the makers were hoping for a more moderate age rating! I think they were underestimating just how shocking and intense the film really was, even without any gore! Is definitely a film not particularly suited to children.

Edit: May have actually heard that on the Eaten Alive extras (which I watched yesterday).
Old 30th August 2017, 12:40 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Was recently reading that Texas Chainsaw Massacre has hardly any blood in it as the makers were hoping for a more moderate age rating! I think they were underestimating just how shocking and intense the film really was, even without any gore! Is definitely a film not particularly suited to children.

Edit: May have actually heard that on the Eaten Alive extras (which I watched yesterday).
I may be completely off the mark here but i thought Tobe Hooper was looking for a pg rating with TCM. At least that's the cinematic rumour.
Old 30th August 2017, 01:24 AM
Cult Addict

That's what i heard too, Might be on the commentary or 'The shocking truth" doc.
Was originally supposed to be called 'Headcheese" too i seem to remember.

Just goes to show that less is more sometimes, i still find Texas harrowing in parts , the atmosphere and soundtrack combine to make a truly unique and disorientating horror experience.

Will always be in my top 5 horror films any day of the week.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th August 2017, 03:20 AM
Cult Addict

Jonathan vampire sterben nicht. (1970)

bcd8166aff5f48f3bdc8e15af6689f45_r.jpg 1401315137.jpg

Seeing as i put this in my foreign horror top ten i thought i'd give it another watch.

A film that is not widely seen and one i always wanted to catch up with due to it being mentioned in a few of my horror reference books as i was growing up, but is largely forgotten these days.

This is an unusual take on the Dracula story, in that it retains some obvious parts from the novel but then throws the rest away.

The head vampire here is basically a representation of Hitler in the way he rants and holds his grip over an entire community, his henchmen are pretty much nazi's and they hold the countryside in their fascist grip.

64k244ol.jpg

I have always thought that Dracula is basically a representation of the
aristocracy preying off the peasants, who are their servants, this basically takes that idea to it's extreme end.

Under his reign the peasants are meek and feeble, mere food and their villages are ravaged and desolate places with little hope. Everyone is scared, shown by the way they turn on an outsider (jonathan) when he wanders into a village.

In the film Jonathan is sent by a resistance group to infiltrate the vampires castle and lead a revolt to overthrow the fascist regime.

Some parts of Dracula are used, there is a scene where the Hitler/vampire draws his blood and gets a female to drink, also the scene (often omitted in film) where the female vampires are given a baby to fulfill their bloodlust is shown.

What really makes this film stand out is the way it is shot, it is very arty in execution, with long shots and some great composition.

The main character is not very interesting and there is not much in the way of great dialogue, but the direction is key and i find the film mesmerising.

Some scenes reminded me of Jodorowsky in their unflinching detail and others Herzog's Nosferatu in their depiction of an eerie peasant life, then certain stuff also brought to mind Witchfinder general.

The Soundtrack i found very atmospheric too.

There's not much in the way of actual vampirism apart from a few throw away scenes, all in all this is a much more ponderous vampire art allegory.

But still i find it really interesting and unique and is definitely a film that should be more widely seen.

I managed to get my copy from some dodgy internet rare film site, i think there is a legit dvd but i don't think it's english friendly.

The Hitler/vampire guy also has a group of worshippers/ cult who all have red robes that kinda reminded me of Jean Rollin style Vamps and also the cult from Hammers' Kiss of the Vampire".

Recommended to lovers of Arty ponderous horror.
8/10

Have a look at the trailer before it disappears back into obscurity.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th August 2017, 03:43 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Was recently reading that Texas Chainsaw Massacre has hardly any blood in it as the makers were hoping for a more moderate age rating
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I may be completely off the mark here but i thought Tobe Hooper was looking for a pg rating with TCM. At least that's the cinematic rumour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
That's what i heard too, Might be on the commentary or 'The shocking truth" doc.
Was originally supposed to be called 'Headcheese" too i seem to remember
Apparently, he made it as a 'monstrous fairy tale', along the lines of 'Goldilocks' - a young innocent comes across a house full of beasts!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 30th August 2017, 04:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Was originally supposed to be called 'Headcheese" too i seem to remember.

Just goes to show that less is more sometimes, i still find Texas harrowing in parts , the atmosphere and soundtrack combine to make a truly unique and disorientating horror experience.

Will always be in my top 5 horror films any day of the week.
Agree in my top 5 fav horrors ..

Don't think Headcheese would have worked or got as noticed as much tbh , glad they didn't its a ridiculous title .
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I've not watched a lot of films this week because I've been finishing off Lena Dunham's Girls TV series and I watched a 6 hr TV documentary about the history of photography (which took me back to my A-Level days!!)

I loved Flight of the Navigator when I watched it last night, I can't decide if it's a genuinely good film (I think it is...) or it was just the nostalgia. My only negative point was when 'Max' used the mind scanner on David to get the star charts he also took David's memories and started speaking like a human... apparently. He was all Dude, and hey man and basically talking nothing like David ever did during the whole film

I enjoyed The Slayer too, but it was nothing like I was expecting it to be, and to be fair there were far too many scenes of people wondering around in daylight calling out names As soon as I finished watching it I swapped the artwork back from the old Vipco cover to the new artwork because the old one totally misrepresents the film

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th August 2017, 11:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Afflicted 2013

Two friends go on a trip of a lifetime which turns into a nightmare.

This is one of those P.O.V movies that turned out to be better than I thought it would be. The acting is good, the plot isn't too far fetched as other found footage movies, the special effects are great and few jump scenes are unexpected. From start to finish this is like a great roller coaster ride. 9 out of 10.

Like this? Share it using the links below!