Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2017, 07:14 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Hands of Steel

Dystopian future...ecological disaster...arm wrestling... karate chopping...cyborg mayhem...John Saxon with a NERF gun...

Possibly the greatest film ever to ponder the human condition via arm wrestling over poisonous snakes and fist fighting a female cyborg wearing a clear plastic skirt. Shit blows up!
Old 5th October 2017, 07:32 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I might watch Ghoulies tonight for the October Horror Marathon I haven't seen it for ages
That's my weekend film (or at least one if them)

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 5th October 2017, 07:38 PM
Cult Addict

Robowar

Predator...sort of...

Fast paced action bollocks with a cyborg replacing the alien which speaks like Stephen Hawkins after a night out on glue and helium.

The ever excellent Reb Brown, the thinking man's Arnie, is the hero.
Shit blows up!
Old 5th October 2017, 08:57 PM
Cult Addict

Hideous!
A dealer in weird scientific specimens, sells a new one to a buyer; infuriating a man deemed as a priority. So he decides to steal it by getting his assistant to wear a skirt and a gorilla mask to hold the buyer hostage and steal the specimen. The victim disputes the theft and goes to confirm what he believes is the case. The specimens come to life and scare everyone.
Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but not the best. The acting is what you expect from a full moon feature. Hammy, flamboyant and just there. However the creature effects stand out. The soundtrack as well is there, seems like rejected pieces of music from Puppet Master
6/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 5th October 2017, 08:59 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Suddenly in the Dark (Gipeun bam gabjagi) (1981)

Old 5th October 2017, 09:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Gipeun bam gabjagi
Bloody animals...always walking on keyboards.
Old 5th October 2017, 11:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Gerald's game

I'd always wondered how this would turn out if someone actually got it to screens. Its the sort of concept that would appeal to directors in a similar manner to Phone Booth. One character, Jessie, played by Carla Gugino is handcuffed to a bed by her husband Gerald, played by Bruce Greenwood. Its part of a kinky sex game thought up by Gerald to spice up their sex life. Unfortunately it works to well, and combined with the effects of Gerald's cock sweets he has a full blown heart attack. The rest of the film is Jessie whose inner dialogue is represented by ghost versions of herself and Gerald as she's forced to find a way out before a starving dog that's made its way in decides she's next on the menu. She's also haunted by pasty trauma and what appears to be the manifestation of death that's haunting her.
Director Mike Flanegan has a decent track record with genre pictures. I like Absentia, Oculous and Hush (more on that in a bit) and Gerald's game was no disappointment for me. Genuinely gripping from beginning to end, its a great adaptation of the book. Given that its on netflix its not going to cost anything to see it if you have the service either. Kudous to Gugino who really delivers in the central role and manages to carry the film remarkably well.
Nice review K. Been meaning to put one up myself. I watched this the other night and it was as you've said gripping from the off.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

PARANORMAL EXPERIENCE – In some ways this is a fairly standard issue DTV flick, although it's not without interesting bits. Basically, some grad students are persuaded by their lecturer to do a little paranormal research in an abandoned mine which is the centre of local legends about a serial killing doctor. 'Paranormal Experience' sounds like it should be a found footage film, but it isn't – in fact, there are a some nice visuals here and there, particularly when the film tries to capture atmospherics. The characters and the killer all have cookie cutter aspects, but what does raise 'Paranormal Experience' slightly beyond the usual is an occasional mean spiritedness (DIY lobotomy and aftermath after torture with barbed wire), sporadic vicious gore (yucky jaw ripping), a genuinely bleak backstory that could've been mined more effectively in a different film (family background of protagonists and tragic outcome of same), and goofy moments such as the one where a laptop is used to boost someone's psychic powers. Unfortunately, all this is counterbalanced by a fair amount of filler. It's the season where this kind of thing might be around for £1 somewhere on the high street, and it wouldn't be the worst flick you could get.

THE MOUNTAINTOP MOTEL MASSACRE – A not massively well known regional indie from 1983. There's a bare bones plot about a middle aged hotel proprietor, just released from the local sanatorium, slowly building up to a serial killing spree. Along the way, she torments her guests by means of snakes, roaches and other foulness planted in their rooms. 'The Mountaintop Motel Massacre' is an odd one for sure. What do you make of a film where the 'hero' is basically a rapist (a sorry ass dude who connives sex out of a hitch-hiker by lying to her about being a record producer)? The set up is probably a rip of 'Psycho' (or 'Psycho 2', out the same year), and there are many references to same throughout, but, although TMMM is a vastly inferior movie by comparison, it's strong on a number of levels. It's ponderous and sometimes plods mid-section, but it's really atmospheric as well as just being a bit 'eh?' The strangeness of the scene where the hotel manger kills her daughter (who appears to commune with spirits with her goat and raven in an underground lair) is one thing, but then there are loads of other instances of weirdly arbitrary stylisation. The central character of the homicidal hotelier is well played, mostly silent and as inscrutable as Michael Myers in a way as we don't have a clue really who she is or why she's doing this stuff. I was slightly surprised to find that it was so well made – although TMMM is obviously really low budget, it's well shot and technically proficient whereas quite often the less well financed indie horrors of the day were not. Overall, TMMM is probably too awkward and odd to suit the tastes of anyone looking for a smooth ride with a bit of gore, but I'd certainly recommend it to early eighties and slasher completists.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mother! (Darren Aranofsky)
It's always nice to go to the pictures. Whether or not you enjoy something is part of the tension betwixt art and the spectator. Writ large on the screen, easily the most cutely pretentious film I've seen this year ..... but enough about The Mummy already.
Great sound design accentuated this dance of death .... Oscar worthy if indeed that matters one jot.
10/10 for effort. 8/10 for execution.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th October 2017, 09:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
PARANORMAL EXPERIENCE – In some ways this is a fairly standard issue DTV flick, although it's not without interesting bits. Basically, some grad students are persuaded by their lecturer to do a little paranormal research in an abandoned mine which is the centre of local legends about a serial killing doctor. 'Paranormal Experience' sounds like it should be a found footage film, but it isn't – in fact, there are a some nice visuals here and there, particularly when the film tries to capture atmospherics. The characters and the killer all have cookie cutter aspects, but what does raise 'Paranormal Experience' slightly beyond the usual is an occasional mean spiritedness (DIY lobotomy and aftermath after torture with barbed wire), sporadic vicious gore (yucky jaw ripping), a genuinely bleak backstory that could've been mined more effectively in a different film (family background of protagonists and tragic outcome of same), and goofy moments such as the one where a laptop is used to boost someone's psychic powers. Unfortunately, all this is counterbalanced by a fair amount of filler. It's the season where this kind of thing might be around for £1 somewhere on the high street, and it wouldn't be the worst flick you could get.

THE MOUNTAINTOP MOTEL MASSACRE – A not massively well known regional indie from 1983. There's a bare bones plot about a middle aged hotel proprietor, just released from the local sanatorium, slowly building up to a serial killing spree. Along the way, she torments her guests by means of snakes, roaches and other foulness planted in their rooms. 'The Mountaintop Motel Massacre' is an odd one for sure. What do you make of a film where the 'hero' is basically a rapist (a sorry ass dude who connives sex out of a hitch-hiker by lying to her about being a record producer)? The set up is probably a rip of 'Psycho' (or 'Psycho 2', out the same year), and there are many references to same throughout, but, although TMMM is a vastly inferior movie by comparison, it's strong on a number of levels. It's ponderous and sometimes plods mid-section, but it's really atmospheric as well as just being a bit 'eh?' The strangeness of the scene where the hotel manger kills her daughter (who appears to commune with spirits with her goat and raven in an underground lair) is one thing, but then there are loads of other instances of weirdly arbitrary stylisation. The central character of the homicidal hotelier is well played, mostly silent and as inscrutable as Michael Myers in a way as we don't have a clue really who she is or why she's doing this stuff. I was slightly surprised to find that it was so well made – although TMMM is obviously really low budget, it's well shot and technically proficient whereas quite often the less well financed indie horrors of the day were not. Overall, TMMM is probably too awkward and odd to suit the tastes of anyone looking for a smooth ride with a bit of gore, but I'd certainly recommend it to early eighties and slasher completists.
As always F ....kudos. You make it feasible to revisit stuff. And I need to unwind after Mother!!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!