Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:57 AM
Cult Addict

Happy death day

A slasher film crosses paths with Groundhog day as a drunken mess of a sorority girl is murdered then wakes up and relives the same day over and over.
Its a fun little film. Its totally bloodless which might be a deal breaker for saome however there was enough here to carry things for me. The central character is an awful person, however the actress manages to make her still relate-able especially when we discover why she's like this. The plot throws a few interesting twists into the mix and its well paced and fairly logical. I've not seen Geostorm but its probably better than that.
Old 23rd October 2017, 07:03 AM
Cult Addict

Killer Barbys

The killer BARBIES are a punk rock band who end up in some remote mist shrouded hell hole where a scythe wielding moron and his two dwarf kids are busy killing people off in order to revive the local horny vampire.
I recall this getting some iffy reviews back in the day but honestly its totally fine. There's copious nudity as one would expect as well as plenty of claret and a nice gothic atmosphere. Its got a real sense of irreverence to proceedings, almost like Franco is having his own little jab at the genre. Entertaining.
Old 23rd October 2017, 01:31 PM
Ex-member

The Ghoul-Extended Version (1975)

Gotta love this low budget film,Peter Cushing is brilliant in this and with the extra scenes (approx 6 mins added) it is much better than the Theatrical version.

8/10
Old 23rd October 2017, 04:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Is this a bootleg SS??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:25 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The Orchard End Murder (1980)

66/100
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Orchard End Murder (1980)

66/100

I know nothing about this other than the BFI released it.

Is it a horror, thriller...? A curiosity? Why is it an 18?

66 isn't a great score from you, do you wish you'd waited until it was in a sale or was it a fine day one purchase, so to speak?

Basically any info would be really good, thank you.
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:39 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I know nothing about this other than the BFI released it.

Is it a horror, thriller...? A curiosity?

66 isn't a great score from you, do you wish you'd waited until it was in a sale or a fine day one purchase, so to speak?
It's a 50 minute TV-film that feels more '70s than '80s concerning a young woman who is murdered. The murder itself is quite nasty (and probably would have had viewers back then choking on their Pimms in horror) albeit a little tamer by today's standards (especially for well-worn horror fans such as ourselves). However, given the context of the rest of the film is still a stand-out scene. Whilst the film is reasonably short, it is a slow burn and atypically British - cricket, tea, and trains all feature. There is more of a focus on drama and the crime element than horror as such (however as mentioned the murder tilts more towards the horrific).

At face-value I'd probably have scored this one a 6, however there's just a vibe to it as with a lot of these flipside releases that tipped it over the edge to a 7... that said, it's nowhere near Psychomania or Symptoms territory for me, but is still an interesting curio that I am very much glad to own.
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It's a 50 minute TV-film that feels more '70s than '80s concerning a young woman who is murdered. The murder itself is quite nasty (and probably would have had viewers back then choking on their Pimms in horror) albeit a little tamer by today's standards (especially for well-worn horror fans such as ourselves). However, given the context of the rest of the film is still a stand-out scene. Whilst the film is reasonably short, it is a slow burn and atypically British - cricket, tea, and trains all feature. There is more of a focus on drama and the crime element than horror as such (however as mentioned the murder tilts more towards the horrific).

At face-value I'd probably have scored this one a 6, however there's just a vibe to it as with a lot of these flipside releases that tipped it over the edge to a 7... that said, it's nowhere near Psychomania or Symptoms territory for me, but is still an interesting curio that I am very much glad to own.
Thank you. An excellent critique.

I fully get that 'vibe' thing you mention.
Old 24th October 2017, 01:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Girl With All The Gifts 2016

In a dystopian Britain, a fungal bacteria has turned people into zombies, some children who carry the pathogen are being kept in a base, observed and schooled until they loose control, 2 Marines, a doctor, school teacher and a child are outside in the open, can they survive and find refuge with others?.

I picked this up in Tesco's, never heard about ii, from start to finish this film never disappoints it is a low budget british movie, with a good Star cast Paddy Considine, Gemma Arterton and Glenn Close. Yeah it is a zombie movie but with a twist. The Outbreak is not seen or mentioned but the way the fungal bacteria affects people is based on accurate accountability on how it affects insects. This is definitely a one to watch except if there is pregnant women about unless you want to freak them out go for it.
Old 24th October 2017, 07:36 AM
Cult Addict

Tom Jane plays Wilfred James, a farmer whose wife is threatening to leave. As she owns the land she's planning on selling up so she can open a dress shop in the big city. Wilfred sets about turning his son against his mother and the pair of them kill her and hide her body down the well.
At first things seem to go smoothly and Wilf appears to have gotten away with murder. However things soon begin to turn sour as his son goes off the rails and he begins to notice more and more rats around the farm.
1922 is on Netflix and is certainly worth checking out. Its what I would call a slow burner feeling more like King took Delores Claiborne and fused it with a traditional ghost story and Lovecrafts the rats in the walls. It takes its time building up and is much a character study of Wilfred as it is a ghost story. Its ultimately a rewarding experience so long as you don't go into it expecting a ghost train.

Like this? Share it using the links below!