Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2017, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Beyond Skyline (2017)

The first was ****ing pants, but this was actually pretty good.

*** out of *****

The Punisher (2004)

*** out of *****

Punisher: War Zone (2008)

*** out of *****

Dredd (2012)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 24th November 2017, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Magic of Belle Isle (2012)

Morgan Freeman plays Monte Wildhorn, a now alcoholic western adventure author tired of writing. He takes a lakeside cabin for the summer in picturesque Belle Isle and befriends the inhabitants especially the single mother (Virginia Madsen) and her three daughters next door.

Well,that's basically it. The Magic of Belle Isle, pointlessly retitled Once More for the UK market, is a simple and very sweet film. Focusing on relationships, specifically that of a wheelchair bound author and the children he befriends. It's a voyage of re-discovery of the soul and one of re-motivating one's lust for life. There's nothing seedy here, nor sickly sweet, - i'll thank director Rob Reiner for that - as it could have been especially twee, but thankfully it's just a charming, beautifully acted, wonderfully written, piece of cinema without any swearing, sex or violence that harks back to an era of film making i thought had disappeared forever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magic-of-belle-isle-poster01.jpg (97.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 25th November 2017, 10:21 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Ibiza Undead (2016)

Three friends take off to Ibiza for some top level clubbing and shagging. Meanwhile the rest of the world prepares for zombiegeddon.

Those who hate the thought of the Loaded generation should probably steer well clear of this film. It's as un-PC as they come. It's crude rather than funny although one or two lines of dialogue did make me laugh out loud and not exactly scary, nor does it ratchet up any tension. There is however, gore galore, including a beautiful scene of arm amputation with a pocket knife.

In truth it's all a bit clunky, scenes don't add up at times. For instance the guys fight their way out of a zombie infested club and the next scene they are walking down the street eating doner kebabs. Oddities such as this are prevalent throughout making for several WTf? moments of bizarreness. The acting is okay, in fact with Downton Abbey's Cara Theobold and Peep Show's Matt King, the film has a bit of star power it probably doesn't deserve.

And yet for all it's faults (And there are many) i really enjoyed Ibiza Undead. Perhaps because of it's location and the memories it brought flooding back.

Anyone who like me has enjoyed a quiet holiday at the bars and clubs in Ibiza could do worse than give this Inbetweeners meets zombies movie a go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IBIZA_UNDEAD_poster_web-600x847.jpg (90.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 25th November 2017, 11:58 AM
Cult Addict

Terror in Beverly Hills
A group of Palestinian terrorists kidnap the Presidents daughter and demand the release of political prisoners in Israel in exchange for her life. The president calls in Hack Stone to infiltrate the old bean factory and rescue the hostage.
The first 20 minutes or so are dull, but if you can sit through it, then what you get is an enjoyable action film with some unintentional comedy throughout. Cameron ("will you close that f**king door") Mitchell steals the show with some of the best lines throughout. But Frank Stallone is hardly in it, which isn't good as his face is on the cover. The major issue is the audio it is so bad I had to reduce the volume on my TV just so I don't annoy the neighbors.
7/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 25th November 2017, 01:28 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Magic of Belle Isle (2012)

Morgan Freeman plays Monte Wildhorn, a now alcoholic western adventure author tired of writing. He takes a lakeside cabin for the summer in picturesque Belle Isle and befriends the inhabitants especially the single mother (Virginia Madsen) and her three daughters next door.

Well,that's basically it. The Magic of Belle Isle, pointlessly retitled Once More for the UK market, is a simple and very sweet film. Focusing on relationships, specifically that of a wheelchair bound author and the children he befriends. It's a voyage of re-discovery of the soul and one of re-motivating one's lust for life. There's nothing seedy here, nor sickly sweet, - i'll thank director Rob Reiner for that - as it could have been especially twee, but thankfully it's just a charming, beautifully acted, wonderfully written, piece of cinema without any swearing, sex or violence that harks back to an era of film making i thought had disappeared forever.
Freeman is one of my favourite actors. Ordered.
Old 25th November 2017, 02:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Freeman is one of my favourite actors. Ordered.
Hope you enjoy it as much as i did, Prince.
Old 25th November 2017, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

hi guys,just brought and watched "april fools day".
watched this years ago and although it is a bit dated,not much gore,i still enjoyed it.
Old 25th November 2017, 05:36 PM
Cult Addict

Alienator
A space convict escapes space prison and lands on earth, where he is hit by drunken teenagers. They take him to the park rangers hut and are then chased by a robot bounty horror.
Meh. It's there. The costume looks awful but its got scotty from Star Trek in it and a cameo by joe pilato.
6/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 25th November 2017, 08:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Murder on the Orient Express. No, not the uber-modern version with Kenneth Branagh, the original 70s flick with Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot. A stellar cast including Sean Connery, Lauren Bacall, Anthony Perkins, Ingrid Bergman and others line up to get a grilling from the Belgian detective when a businessman with a false identity gets murdered on the famous train. Beautifully made old school fun.
Old 25th November 2017, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Finally someone else who thinks it's overrated bollocks.
Thought it was just me as it seemed so highly regarded I kept my mouth shut.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!