LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2018, 10:54 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Atomic Blonde

I honestly believe that the John Wick duo, Chad Stahleski and David Leitch (who is the credited director), may be the successors to Ridley Scott.
It seemed like the worst excesses of a Tony Scott film rather than Ridley.
Old 1st January 2018, 10:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It seemed like the worst excesses of a Tony Scott film rather than Ridley.
I disagree. Tony was all about hyper-editing (to match his characters' frazzled state of mind). Whereas Ridley was more about careful compositions. The editing in Atomic Blonde is way slower than Tony Scott's efforts post Crimson Tide. Atomic Blonde visuals are about framing characters in colour.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I disagree. Tony was all about hyper-editing (to match his characters' frazzled state of mind). Whereas Ridley was more about careful compositions. The editing in Atomic Blonde is way slower than Tony Scott's efforts post Crimson Tide. Atomic Blonde visuals are about framing characters in colour.
I would second you on that. In terms of framing and editing of scenes I think Atomic Blonde gets it right. It's as you say, the script is somewhat weak and needed more work.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I hear you but the fact the script was poor made the whole thing style over substance.

Like Nosferatu i also thought the story told in flashback from Theron's perspective meant a lack of suspense as it was clear however many frenetic fight sequences they threw into the mix, she obviously came out unscathed.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I hear you but the fact the script was poor made the whole thing style over substance.

Like Nosferatu i also thought the story told in flashback from Theron's perspective meant a lack of suspense as it was clear however many frenetic fight sequences they threw into the mix, she obviously came out unscathed.
I definitely agree with you on this. However, I adore well-made action, and cinematography, so the film succeeds for me.

As for Nosferatu (I'm assuming the original), I always felt it was like a retelling of a bad dream, so the flashback structure works for me.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I definitely agree with you on this. However, I adore well-made action, and cinematography, so the film succeeds for me.

As for Nosferatu (I'm assuming the original), I always felt it was like a retelling of a bad dream, so the flashback structure works for me.
Ha,ha....sorry when i said Nosferatu i was referring back to a post yesterday from Nosferatu@Cult Labs not the classic film. I bet you thought WTF????
Old 1st January 2018, 12:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Ha,ha....sorry when i said Nosferatu i was referring back to a post yesterday from Nosferatu@Cult Labs not the classic film. I bet you thought WTF????

I thought it was weird that you'd bring up a 1922 film when discussing Atomic Blonde, but I thought I'd entertain you.
Old 1st January 2018, 01:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 30th - The Limehouse Golem (2016)

Following a series of murders in the Limehouse area of London the police think it's the result of a mythical Golem.

This Victorian pre-Ripper murder mystery was absolutely nothing like i expected. Twisty and turny with more red herrings than Billingsgate Market. Set around a music hall the film stars Bill Nighy as the officer investigating the murders and basically thrown into a situation where no one cared if he sank or swam other than partner, Daniel Mays, the two had great chemistry together. Also starring Olivia Cooke from tv's Bates Motel in a role that basically steals the show from under Nighy's nose. The Limehouse Golem is less of a horror film than i imagined it would be and more a Holmesian mystery, but it's well crafted and featured one or two surprising elements to boot.

New Years Eve - 31 (2016)

Five carnival workers are kidnapped one Halloween and held hostage in an abandoned, Hell-like compound where they are forced to participate in a deadly game, the goal of which is to survive twelve hours against a gang of sadistic clowns.

The problem with Rob Zombie's 31 is that it's a largely plotless affair populated with largely unlikable characters that were er' rejected from The Devil's Rejects. Whilst it's well made, fairly graphic and fast paced i was found wanting when it came to caring about characters who were one dimensional at best, and not bothering if they lived or died.

However the ending, playing out to Aerosmith's Dream On, was excellent and like the aforementioned Devil's Rejects ending, will stick in the memory long after the rest of the film has been forgotten.
Old 1st January 2018, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Limehouse Golem is another film on my never ending to watch list, looks and sounds like a film I’d enjoy so I think I’ll order myself a copy
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st January 2018, 02:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

frankenstein-meets-the-space-monster-1964.jpg
FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER (1965)

A Martian spaceship blows a rocket out of the sky thinking it to be a missile.
The rocket is manned by a human looking robot 'Frank'.
The martians have come to kidnap women to populate their planet.
'Frank' is not dead but disfigured and unable to function properly after a blast from the Martians and goes staggering around the desert on the kill.
The martians start taking bikini party girls to the spaceship as scientists arrive to help 'Frank'. 'Frank' himself is taken aboard the spacecraft but can 'Frank rescue the girls in time ?

This seems to be a film of two parts. The scenes involving the robot Frank and his crashing around scaring people are played serious but the scenes on-board the spaceship are laughable and seem like they could be from another film altogether.
All in all a fun film and a perfect way to spend a lazy, rainy afternoon.

Like this? Share it using the links below!