Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2018, 07:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The Limehouse Golem is another film on my never ending to watch list, looks and sounds like a film I’d enjoy so I think I’ll order myself a copy
I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent and say I thought limehouse golem was a bit boring
Rik likes this.
Old 1st January 2018, 08:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched a few films over the last few days but this was by far the most enjoyable. Well acted and directed, also very atmospheric and creepy bordering on scary.excellent , a film that shows that good new horrors are still being made, after the likes of it follows and the Babadook I was wary, but this was far better than those. 9/10
Old 1st January 2018, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
December 29th - The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

I'm not going into any plot details here, no spoilers whatsoever. I'll just say this truly original horror film starring Emile Hirsch and the excellent as always Brian Cox was a riveting experience from it's opening moments. I found it tense and creepy, bordering on the scary, with a deliciously eerie ambiance to it throughout.

Possibly the best modern horror i've seen this year.
Quote:

In reality it should have hit cinemas with the fanfare far worse movies such as The Babadook and It Follows had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Watched a few films over the last few days but this was by far the most enjoyable. Well acted and directed, also very atmospheric and creepy bordering on scary.excellent , a film that shows that good new horrors are still being made, after the likes of it follows and the Babadook I was wary, but this was far better than those. 9/10
Now where have i seen Treb's review before?
Old 1st January 2018, 10:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Now where have i seen Treb's review before?
Just proves how right your review was, is far superior to those two and it really should of gotten more recognition than those two which I found overrated and average at best( mind they are better than beyond the gates but that wouldn't be hard,a 2 hour film of a dog turd would be better).this is what a horror should be.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

Deadly Strangers. A stranded young woman accepts a lift from a stranger in an area where a psychotic patient has just escaped from a nearby asylum. Hayley Mills and Simon Ward star in this agreeably enjoyable mid 70s British thriller that stands up pretty well, though I did see the ending coming.
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:48 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Deadly Strangers. A stranded young woman accepts a lift from a stranger in an area where a psychotic patient has just escaped from a nearby asylum. Hayley Mills and Simon Ward star in this agreeably enjoyable mid 70s British thriller that stands up pretty well, though I did see the ending coming.
Did you see this on an official dvd at all? Has it actually come out somewhere?
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

As per my regular New Year's tradition, I watched The Godfather on New Year's Eve, and part two the following night.

I can't say more than has been already said. These are beautifully crafted films that chronicle the history of the American family, and business.

Su-poib!
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:34 PM
Cult Addict

Master of the World
Vincent Price plays captain of a flying ship intent on ending war by destroying the military of the world by bombing the crap out of them. A group of people - an arms manufacturer; his daughter; her fiance and Charles Bronson are captured and try to stop him.
This is fun, Vincent Price is by far the best part of this film along with Bronson.
7/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Their Finest (2016)

Gemma Arterton stars as a young woman recruited to the Propaganda and information war office to give their films some female perspective. Things escalate when she tries to tell the story of two sisters who helped with the evacuation of Dunkirk and what was a small propaganda piece escalates into a big budget colour production which even the Americans have their eye on.

I loved this drama. Much of the script is quite amusing especially when Bill Nighy's fading box office star with several vanity issues is introduced to the production, and yet the laughs are set amidst the frequent air raids on London and the tragedies that ensue.

Arterton who i think is quite underrated is terrific, as is Nighy. The rest of the cast boasts Sam Clafin, Rachael Stirling, Richard E Grant, Helen McCrory and Jeremy Irons, who are all suited to forties period drama. There are many issues the film deals with such as love and loss as well as sexism and of course the pro's and cons of war time propaganda films.

The end result is a funny, poignant and heartwarming piece of homegrown cinema (and perhaps surprisingly an excellent companion to Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg their-finest-poster.jpg (100.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Their Finest (2016)

Gemma Arterton stars as a young woman recruited to the Propaganda and information war office to give their films some female perspective. Things escalate when she tries to tell the story of two sisters who helped with the evacuation of Dunkirk and what was a small propaganda piece escalates into a big budget colour production which even the Americans have their eye on.

I loved this drama. Much of the script is quite amusing especially when Bill Nighy's fading box office star with several vanity issues is introduced to the production, and yet the laughs are set amidst the frequent air raids on London and the tragedies that ensue.

Arterton who i think is quite underrated is terrific, as is Nighy. The rest of the cast boasts Sam Clafin, Rachael Stirling, Richard E Grant, Helen McCrory and Jeremy Irons, who are all suited to forties period drama. There are many issues the film deals with such as love and loss as well as sexism and of course the pro's and cons of war time propaganda films.

The end result is a funny, poignant and heartwarming piece of homegrown cinema (and perhaps surprisingly an excellent companion to Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk).
This sounds like a lovely film.

Fully agree with you about Arterton. She's an amazing actress, who is sadly overlooked. However, this may be by her design. She seems to favour doing smaller films. I read rumours that she had a horrible time doing the big-budget Prince Of Persia film, so perhaps she would rather work on films that have a clear goal.
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!