Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179449Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Have you seen kingdom he was very good in that and as plus he has his top off a lot!
I haven't seen it no, but I thought he was good in Scream Queens!
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd January 2018, 08:42 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just finished watching Zombie Flesh Eaters for the millionth (not really) time, but the first time this year and also the first time with the commentary from Stephen Thrower and Alan Jones (who famously leaked the fact Arrow were releasing it all those years ago).
Nothing else really needs to be said about the film, we’ve all seen it, some of us love it, some of us can’t watch it without noticing the mistakes (cheers Dem ), and some of us nearly broke the forum when there was 6 seconds of boat missing

Gonna follow it up with another Fulci I reckon, probably COTLD or The Beyond (Grindhouse blu version)
I've never watched this with the commentary track, I'm going to give it a go!
Rik and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd January 2018, 08:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did you see this on an official dvd at all? Has it actually come out somewhere?
I think there's one on ebay for about $30, but I got it off YouTube.
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've never watched this with the commentary track, I'm going to give it a go!

It’s worth a listen, obviously Alan Jones has to bring Argento into it, but at least it’s in context
Justin101 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The Rock is the reason why I won’t watch it, can’t stand the guy and have no idea why he gets work

Each to their own and all that
Whaaaat? Dwayne has the charisma of a sheet of plywood....wait that's a good thing right?
Rik, trebor8273 and profondo rosso like this.
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Battle Royale 2000

In the future when education has failed the Japanese government created the B.R. act. A class is chosen by lottery. They are placed on a island and given three days to kill each other to there is only one left.

Based on the novel by Koushun Takami, that Japan's government tried to ban unsuccessfully and then the film it's easy to understand.

This is one of Japan's best movies, the killing are all different with the weapons the characters are given.

There have been some bad reviews about this film as it's bad, boring not much of a plot and stupid killings but I found this entertaining and the Americans are planning to do a remake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battle_royale.jpg (74.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
the Americans are planning to do a remake.
They already did. They called it The Hunger Games, because they Japanese studio wouldn't hand over the rights unless the film got a wide release first.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

They already did. They called it The Hunger Games, because they Japanese studio wouldn't hand over the rights unless the film got a wide release first.

I know the films are similar but didn't think The Hunger Games was a remake, thanks for clarifying that MacBlayne
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:07 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Battle Royale 2000

There have been some bad reviews about this film as it's bad, not much of a plot and stupid killings
What better recommendation do you need?
MacBlayne likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

I know the films are similar but didn't think The Hunger Games was a remake, thanks for clarifying that MacBlayne
Well, it's a persistent rumour more than anything else. For years, American studios were trying to get the rights to do a remake. However, Toei wouldn't give the rights as they requested a wide release of the original film first, believing that the smash hit success of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon meant that American audiences were willing to watch foreign cinema. New Line Cinema was the closest in securing the rights but passed, due to the increasing number of school shootings in the US.

When other studios tried to get the rights to the novel, author Koushun Takami insisted on a R rating. As the film was focused on a teenage cast, the studios wanted to do it PG-13.

Then, in 2008, The Hunger Games was released, with Lionsgate studios having optioned it before it was published. The writer, publishers, and studio have been extremely insistent that it was not influenced by Battle Royale, but by a news broadcast following young soldiers training for war.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know. Other authors (including Stephen King) have expressed dubiety over the origins, and its strong similarities with the film adaptation of Battle Royale. Battle Royale the film is rather different from the novel. The novel is set during an alternative history where Fascist Japan didn't lose the war, and used the tournament to suppress rebellious behaviour.

Whereas the film is set in the near future, and abandons the alternative history backstory. The film explores old peoples fear of the youth, as well as young peoples distrust of the elderly. Not only that, the film also uses the theme of media distraction - where mass media are used to build hype around the tournament to crush uprisings, not through force, but through manipulation and distraction.

Which is extremely similar to The Hunger Games.

Like this? Share it using the links below!