Like Tree179041Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Hey kids...just going to get my dvd back...see you in two months.

I’ve just had a look, my local CEX has it in, still at 50p so I’ll pick up another copy next time I’m in town

Cheaper than going to the land of the giant spiders anyway!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A few days later than my usual new years eve watch of this classic role reversal comedy 10/10
Old 4th January 2018, 09:18 AM
Cult Addict

There's always vanilla

A Vietnam veteran returns to Pittsburgh after several years drifting. He ends up shacking up with an older model. Things begin to sour when she realises he's massively unreliable and when she realises she's pregnant she decides to leave.
Very different to anything else that Romero directed. He didn't write it and it really shows in the story that feels a little too much like its trying to be 'right on' and ends up feeling a little pretentious, something he always managed to avoid in his own projects. The film had a toxic effect on the latent image group and according to the supplemental material everyone involved lawyer-ed up.
Romero himself practically disowned the film stating its something he edited but didn't direct and complains there was no money to shoot the things he wanted to shoot.
Its not bad. Certainly its his weakest film and it was essentially dated upon its release. There's a scene with a backstreet abortion that was rendered almost pointless after Roe Vs Wade made abortions legal. However its a real time capsule piece along the lines of eggshells.

Season of the witch

A bored housewife feeling trapped as she heads into middle age begins meddling with the occult to affect change in her life with some dark consequences.
More like the sort of films Romero would be famous for. Season isn't a straight ahead horror. There's a real dark undercurrent to proceedings and it feels like his attempt to make something along the lines of Ingmar Bergmans Persona. I liked this a lot more this time round. I used to think it was one of his weaker entries and Romero himself always wanted to remake it as there were ideas in the film that he wanted to develop further. In spite of its flaws its a smart idea that actually works better than I used to give it credit for.
Old 4th January 2018, 09:25 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Season of the witch

A bored housewife feeling trapped as she heads into middle age begins meddling with the occult to affect change in her life with some dark consequences.
More like the sort of films Romero would be famous for. Season isn't a straight ahead horror. There's a real dark undercurrent to proceedings and it feels like his attempt to make something along the lines of Ingmar Bergmans Persona. I liked this a lot more this time round. I used to think it was one of his weaker entries and Romero himself always wanted to remake it as there were ideas in the film that he wanted to develop further. In spite of its flaws its a smart idea that actually works better than I used to give it credit for.
I like Season of the Witch and class it higher among Romero's output than most would.

For all it's witches in modern suburbia aspect it's as much a psychological study into sexually frustrated, alcoholic, housewives as it is horror, probably more so.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:13 AM
Cult Veteran

The Ghoul (2016)

A festival flick recently released by Arrow, leaving you with more questions than answers. The plot, in a nutshell, follows a detective going undercover as a therapy patient in order to steal files from his therapist that might incriminate the lead suspect in the case he's working on. Once the sessions begin though the lines start to blur and things don't seem what the viewer first thought.

I'm a little undecided, on one hand it's superbly well acted (weird Paul Kaye scene aside) but on the other hand the plot doesn't really make sense but also goes to great lengths to make sure the viewer understands the concepts it's trying to push on us with some exposition.

It's not really what I was expecting, I thought it'd be a British indie horror along the lines of Kill List but it's more of a psychological drama piece. Worth a watch I think, but one for the sales - I bought the download on iTunes over Christmas when it was £3.99 (back to a tenner now).

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th January 2018, 12:11 PM
Cult Addict

Well continuing with my visual self flagellation this morning was some more asylum drivel titled Ice Sharks.
Set in the arctic, a group of researchers are submerged in their lab by........................ice sharks and have to survive.
The acting is consistent at least with research crew, however I just wanted all of the characters to get killed off one by one by the sharks.
5/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 4th January 2018, 02:57 PM
Cult Addict

More torture today with America 3000
900 years after the world was destroyed by nuclear war; men and women have separated with women as the dominant species and men as subservient. A few men rebel and free the slaves.
Cannon have again outdone themselves with mediocre bollocks. Set designs are.crap, the only element that redeems this trash is an awful monster costume.
5/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 4th January 2018, 03:11 PM
Ex-member

Gone Girl (2014)

With his wife's disappearance having become the focus of an intense media circus, a man sees the spotlight turned on him when it's suspected that he may not be innocent.

Great Drama/Thriller.

9/10
Old 4th January 2018, 03:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mother Joan of the Angels (1961)

Based on the same events as Ken Russell's The Devils (1971) - a real life outbreak of mass hysteria in the French town of Loudun in 1634 that occurred when a convent of Ursuline nuns, led by the hunchbacked Sister Jeanne of the Angels, became obsessed with a handsome, womanising priest, Urbain Grandier - This doesn't tread the same ground as it takes place in the years following Grandier's burning at the stake and follows a priest who goes to the nunnery as the nuns are still believed to be possessed.

Whilst it lacks the sensationalism of Russell's film and is expressionistic rather than exploitative, - the burnt remains of the stake are still outside the nunnery and leave a haunting reminder of what has gone before - Mother Joan of the Angels is a hypnotic, minimalistic, stunningly photographed piece of Polish film making that will haunt your thoughts for days to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images-w1400.jpg (95.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th January 2018, 03:47 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Mother Joan of the Angels (1961)

Based on the same events as Ken Russell's The Devils (1971) - a real life outbreak of mass hysteria in the French town of Loudun in 1634 that occurred when a convent of Ursuline nuns, led by the hunchbacked Sister Jeanne of the Angels, became obsessed with a handsome, womanising priest, Urbain Grandier - This doesn't tread the same ground as it takes place in the years following Grandier's burning at the stake and follows a priest who goes to the nunnery as the nuns are still believed to be possessed.

Whilst it lacks the sensationalism of Russell's film and is expressionistic rather than exploitative, - the burnt remains of the stake are still outside the nunnery and leave a haunting reminder of what has gone before - Mother Joan of the Angels is a hypnotic, minimalistic, stunningly photographed piece of Polish film making that will haunt your thoughts for days to come.
I bought the Second Run DVD about 2 years and for some reason I've still not watched it! I'm going to give it a chance this month, thanks for the nudge

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!