Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2018, 09:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Just watched The Silent Scream (1979)

Cool gothic-tinged and Psycho (1960) inspired slasher flick with a great performance from Barbara Steele which came out in 79, but got lost among the glut of gory teenage aimed slashers after Friday the 13th.

Not a masterpiece but definitely worth a watch; it is really nicely photographed, features some great performances all-round and manages to build up quite a bit of suspense towards the final act.

Anyone else seen it?

Gets a strong 7/10 from me.

Would make a terrific Arrow Video release.
Old 17th January 2018, 08:24 AM
Cult Addict

68 kill

I've already reviewed it here some time back (did I?) in October after it screened at Grimmfest. The Blu-ray arrived on Monday for my birthday so decided to watch it. It holds up for home viewing. Matthew grey Gubler is excellent as the well meaning pushover Chip who is dating the beautiful but unhinged Liza, played by AnnaLyne McCord. He knows she's crazy but he doesn't realise exactly how crazy until they decide to rob Liza's sugar daddy of $68k. Liza casually dispatched him and his wife and when they discover a third person in the house, takes her hostage to sell to her serial killing brother. Chip realises he's in over his head so does a runner with the hostage, who he has the hots for. His troubles are only just beginning however.
It's been described as a 'punk rock after hours' which works. I would also argue its like James M Caine or Jim Thompson if they decided to focus on down at heel psycopathic trailer trash. The script is great as are all the performances. Definitely one to pick up.

City of the living dead

Since I was born in 1980, decided to watch a bunch of films from 1980 with friends over beers and curry. Opted to start with this because why not?
Its Fulci's first dip into horror surrealism with a plot that makes very little logical sense but drips with gothic atmosphere, throwing in nods to Poe, Lovecraft and other esoterica. The gore is eyepopping and memorable and like most Fulci films it really invites a rewatch.

Cannibal Apocalyopse

1980 part 2. This time Late disco era sleaze from Antonio Mahrgaretti with Joh Saxon and Giovanni Lombardo Radice. It drops any travelogue material and a lot of the animal cruelty that was a staple of the cannibal genre. Dragging it into the inner city and turning cannibalism into a contagious disease. Perhaps to try and say something about the violent trauma carried back by veterans but as a literal plot device its made to work in spite of how bizarre it is. Its a film thats pure fun from beginning to end. Turning into a gritty urban survival film in the third act. Possibly one of my favourite cannibal movies.

Zombie creeping flesh.

Any excuse to watch this. Its completely mad and definitely trash but goddamitt it works so well! I've seen this more times than is healthy. I now own the blue underground and 88 releases thanks to birthday presents and I'm keeping both.
Old 17th January 2018, 09:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

The-Swarm-1978-poster.jpg
THE SWARM (1978)

A huge swarm of deadly African bees are causing mayhem and death as they cross American towns. Huston is the next stop...

Star-studded disaster movie. A film that everyone likes to blow a raspberry at and critics would have you believe it is the worst movie ever.
But you know what, this is highly enjoyable. Yes, the film could have been made better. Sure, the dialogue at some moments seems laughable and scenes such as giant bees appearing in front of sting victims when hallucinating look out of place, but take the film as it is and enjoy. This B(!) picture is great fun and most probably better than you remember.

The DVD from Warner Archive is the extended cut, adding nearly 40 minutes of extended, new and alternate scenes to the run time.

I'll buzzzzz off now.
Old 17th January 2018, 01:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post

Cool gothic-tinged and Psycho (1960) inspired slasher flick with a great performance from Barbara Steele which came out in 79, but got lost among the glut of gory teenage aimed slashers after Friday the 13th.

Not a masterpiece but definitely worth a watch; it is really nicely photographed, features some great performances all-round and manages to build up quite a bit of suspense towards the final act.

Anyone else seen it?

If it's from '79 and I haven't seen it .... then SOLD.
keirarts and Buboven like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th January 2018, 01:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
At £45 on Amazon used, be my guest.

It's been in my wishlist for a few years and has always been silly money.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th January 2018, 01:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
At £45 on Amazon used then be my guest.

It's been in my wishlist for a few years and has always been silly money.
Ach, I'm in a few VHS seller groups. I'll have a poke around. It's not a big name title, so fingers crossed!!
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th January 2018, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

I’m not sure if I’ve ever sat through the first film in its entirety. I know I’ve caught parts of it on TV, and if I have sat all the way through it, then it was so long ago I don’t remember. But this is a helluva a lot of fun - solid entertainment.

***1/2 out of *****

Insidious: The Last Key (2018)

This franchise has probably run its course. But if this is to be the last, then it ended on a respectable note.

*** out of *****

Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)

Not as good as 1 and 4, but better than 3.

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 17th January 2018, 05:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post

Anyone else seen it?

It's out on BD from Scorpion Releasing.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 17th January 2018, 05:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
It's out on BD from Scorpion Releasing.
I noticed that but I don't like it that much to import it at nearly 30 quid.

I was just thinking it would make a nice Arrow Video release at a more decent price with some new interesting features, such as a short making-of, given its interesting and troubled production and initial release.
keirarts and Boo Radley like this.

Last edited by Buboven; 17th January 2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 17th January 2018, 05:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I only came to watch it as I gave my copy of the 'Hidden Horror' book from William Lustig and Aaron Christensen a reread and noticed there were quite a few flicks which I had overlooked, including this particular film.

I just found a decent quality copy to stream online myself.

Like this? Share it using the links below!