Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2018, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I read up on some of these ninja films at one point because i was trying to figure out where the soundbites in this tune came from and pinpoint a film.

With references to the ninjas Tony, Gordon and Ringo (?) and suchlike i thought it sounded pretty entertaining.
Still didn't figure out what it was, may be a mix of many films.

Apparently there was a whole shitload of films made by the same company to cash in on the ninja craze at the time.
Some of them were existing films (drama and the like) that were interspersed with new ninja footage.
Sounds like this may be the case with what you watched.

In the end i decided watching the video to the tune was probably more interesting to sitting through the films and a lot less time consuming/ brain melting.
Think your right, it was just some dull drama about his life and his loser brother, you didn't even see the ninja and the man together in a scene and when he tells him how to beat the sword ,he received a recording that thinking back was a totally different voice! Must of just been a few ninja scenes added to the drama story.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 15th February 2018, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Adulthood 2008

Sam (Noel Clarke) is released from prison, and has plans to go straight but soon finds out people won't forget what he done and wants him dead. The film follows Sam and others one a one day search and fight and to end "tings".

This is one very effective sequel, Noel Clarke not only written and starred in this film but also directed it brilliantly. It shows the teens from Kidulthood now 21-22 years old, trying to adjust to adult life with work, university and still dabbling in drugs and single parent roles.

Its also filmed in the different senarios which makes the film a bit more tense as who will get to who first and to the final confrontation of family secrets , revenge and loyalty within a gang. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Main.jpg (20.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 15th February 2018, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Adulthood 2008

Sam (Noel Clarke) is released from prison, and has plans to go straight but soon finds out people won't forget what he done and wants him dead. The film follows Sam and others one a one day search and fight and to end "tings".

This is one very effective sequel, Noel Clarke not only written and starred in this film but also directed it brilliantly. It shows the teens from Kidulthood now 21-22 years old, trying to adjust to adult life with work, university and still dabbling in drugs and single parent roles.

Its also filmed in the different senarios which makes the film a bit more tense as who will get to who first and to the final confrontation of family secrets , revenge and loyalty within a gang. 8 out of 10.
Noel Clarke wrote all 3 films
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 16th February 2018, 01:22 AM
Cult Addict

Ended up looking at stupid ninja trailers on youtube, this one looks fantastic.

keirarts, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 16th February 2018, 08:08 AM
Cult Addict

Colossal

This one trailered at my local cinema but they never bothered screening it. I kept meaning to catch it on home video but something else always seemed to come along. Well, now its free on Amazon for Prime customers so I finally got round to seeing it. I'm glad I did.
Anne Hathaway plays Gloria, an unemployed drunk who gets dumped by her boyfriend. She moves from New York back to her home town where she rekindles a friendship with her Childhood friend Oscar, played by Jason sudeikis. She starts working at his bar and hanging out with Oscar and his drinking buddies Tim and Joel. Getting blackout drunk she begins forgetting parts of the evening, meanwhile a giant monster is attacking Korea. Gloria begins to realise she is in someway connected to the monster and in control of its actions, thereby responsible for a large number of deaths. While trying to figure this out she hooks up with Joel and drives Oscar over the edge. It turns out Oscar can manifest as a giant Robot in the same location and begins using this to try and get a hold over Gloria.
For a film that starts out somewhat whimsical it gets pretty dark, and past the half way point you realise your watching a film about inner demons. Self loathing, Alcohol dependency, toxic relationships and abuse. It's surprisingly melancholic and you realise a lot of the characters are damaged from feelings that life has passed them by in some way.
I really liked this film. Don't go in expecting a laugh riot, though there is some dark humour present. Instead you'll get a smart, interesting if somewhat occasionally depressing little movie with a neat idea behind it.
Old 16th February 2018, 08:21 AM
Cult Addict

Black panther

Given the enormous hype over this film in the media the film threatens to be one of those movies that you feel obliged to like because everyone says you should. So I went into the film with a little trepidation Its not a masterpiece, very few popcorn movies designed to appeal to a mass audience are. However for a film of its type I found it very enjoyable. The plot beats are fairly predictable, you know the points where things are going to happen and what's likely going to happen through the script which takes structure 101 from film school and sticks to it rigidly. However the writing within that structure is actually pretty good. The film makes some pointed attacks on notions of protectionism (essentially a theory we're seeing put into place with Trump and Brexit) with discussions between the characters about whether Wakandia, which has kept itself hidden from the rest of the world through history, has a duty to the rest of the world because of its resources. The Central villain Killmonger even has this as part of his motivation. He ends up being one of Marvel's more interesting villains, like Vulture or Zemo he has a plausible and even relate-able motivation for his actions that makes him feel like something more than a tool for the main characters development. Something Marvel has been guilty of in the past. Here he questions Wakandia's silence in the face of issues like Slavery, the civil rights struggle and urban poverty. He becomes a villain by having the wrong solution to this problem, wanting to trigger a race war where one side has Vibranium weapons. The action scenes are well realised, there's some iffy effects work here and there but overall its solidly entertaining.
Old 16th February 2018, 10:39 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I saw BLACK PANTHER yesterday and thought it was great – easily the most intense Marvel movie and thoroughly enjoyable. It's superbly acted by the main cast and feels very different to anything else from the MCU so far (with the possible exception of Captain America: Civil War), probably because the subject matter is so dark and to do with survival and global politics, more akin to a DC film like one of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy to something like Ant-Man. It's a marvellous piece of filmmaking (and something even more interesting if you were to analyse it for its race and gender politics) and a film I hope to see again the cinema before buying and watching at home.

On Wednesday, I went to see THE SHAPE OF WATER with absolutely no expectations other than having loved just about everything that Guillermo del Toro has previously directed. It's a mesmerising film, beautifully designed and with a career best performance from Sally Hawkins, Doug Jones showing why he is one of the most underappreciated and unknown actors around – there are few people who can do what he does with his body – and the entire ensemble cast, from Michael Shannon to Octavia Spencer and Richard Jenkins are brilliant. It's such a visually rich film with so many details in every frame that it will stand up to repeated viewings because there is much to take in. The soundtrack is similarly engrossing due to the clever mix of diegetic and non-diegetic music.

The only downside was the projector wasn't properly calibrated and was showing the film in the wrong aspect ratio, meaning a subtitled scene with Russian dialogue had no subtitles because they were off the bottom of the screen. (Someone went out and told a member of staff and the problem was rectified shortly afterwards.) Despite that, I absolutely adored it and I'm going back to watch it today.

Last night, I watched the three NAKED GUN films. It's been many years since I saw any of them, possibly when I saw the third in the cinema way back in 1994 and it was surprising how many jokes I understood as an adult which I didn't as a child and how I still find the ridiculous puns and slapstick humour to be funny.
Old 16th February 2018, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Subspecies 4: Bloodstorm (1998)

This one sucks... terrible pun intended. Worst of the series.

** out of *****

Franchise rankings:

Bloodstone: Subspecies 2
Bloodlust: Subspecies 3
Subspecies
Subspecies 4: Bloodstorm

I didn't include the spin-off Vampire Journals in the rankings, as I don't really consider it part of the series. While the vampire Ash features in 4 and VJ, his characterization is so different, he might as well be a different character that shares the same name, who happens to be played by the same actor. And for anyone who has to consider it part of the series, then it would have to take place after 4, as that picks up right after 3, and for another reason that is a spoiler if you haven't seen the film, despite being made and released before 4.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 16th February 2018, 04:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I too like the Subspecies series although i'm pretty sure the set i have doesn't include the fourth film.

The only let down is the tv movie look they have due to how they were filmed. It doesn't make them seem as lush as they should.
keirarts and Cinematic Shocks like this.
Old 16th February 2018, 04:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

3D Double Bill

1972doublefeatureRerelease.jpg f2d8dc3ec7cbb09e19f3f41fc19ac4a2.jpg

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1954)
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953)

Fantastic double bill. Even greater in 3D.
This is the 3D that I love. Not just depth of field but an image that actually comes out of the screen.

Like this? Share it using the links below!