Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179031Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2018, 07:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched Carnival of Souls for the first time ever last night! To say I loved it would be an understatement, fantastic! I've had the Network DVD for a little while and never watched it, but the new Criterion 4k remaster is stunning!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th February 2018, 07:52 PM
Cult Addict

Glad you liked it, it's a real favourite of mine with a nice eerie atmosphere.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 18th February 2018, 07:56 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Glad you liked it, it's a real favourite of mine with a nice eerie atmosphere.
I was going to get rid of the DVD but then I realised it has a Kim Newman commentary on it so I'll listen to that first!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th February 2018, 09:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quite different than the usual marvel films and with the darker tone it's closer too the likes of civil war and winter soldier. Some great action set pieces. The black panther himself is brilliant and the main villian Killmonger is more well rounded than most super villians and even though you might not agree with what he's doing you can see and have some sympathy towards him. Also tackles social and political issues in post brexit/Trump world.

In a lot for the ways with some of themes etc this is the type of film DC wish they could make. The film is definitely in my top 4 marvel movies. 9/10 ( 10/10 when black panther and killmonger are fighting with there tops off)

Now watching death spa.
Old 18th February 2018, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Muirhouse 2012

Author and Ghosthunter Phillip Muirhouse decides to spend the night in Australia's most haunted house The Monte Cristo on his own to release as a documentary with his new book.

Another low budget found footage movie that seems to have fallen at the end, did the film makers gave up at the ending.

It does start off good with a bit of history to the house, and some mentioning of the Hauntings that have occurred. It does have one or two blink and miss moments, the main actor Iain Mcdonald does try to keep the film going but was let down, don't be in a rush to buy it. 5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2397070-200x300.jpg (14.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 18th February 2018, 10:09 PM
Cult Addict

Ninja 3: The Domination

Exceptional 80s aerobics workout video with added martial arts moves. Top stop and had me reaching for my lycra and leg warms before the final cliff top exercise. Recommend.
Old 19th February 2018, 01:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Paranormal Entity 2009

After believing they have made contact with the ghost of a deceased family member, The Finlay's are being tormented by a ghost.

This is a quick quid cash in on the Paranormal Activity movie that the Asylum movies do, this was a decent found footage movie.

It is not on the edge of your seat movie but does come with a few jump bits if you can look past the acting that Shane Van Dyke does as the son of the family who records everything that goes on. 6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paranormal_Entity.jpg (22.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 19th February 2018, 04:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Just Before Dawn (1981)

One of the greatest slasher films.

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 19th February 2018, 08:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Just Before Dawn (1981)

One of the greatest slasher films.

**** out of *****

Think this is a great under rated film, and very atmospheric with beautiful scenery and soundtrack that's play out well for the film.
Old 19th February 2018, 09:04 AM
Cult Addict

Weapons of death

Henry Silva plays Santoro, a tough crook operating in Naples whose violent crime spree is driving the city into chaos. Tough Cop Belli sets his sights on Santoro and the two begin a duel of wits where one man must die.
More tough poliziotteschi with a lean brutal plot that doesn't outstay its welcome and has a terrific ending. It's got plenty of nasty moments at play including a genuinely wince inducing prison yard castration scene.

Contraband

Speaking of brutal poliziotteschi.... Its almost as if the rest of the Italian film industry was saying "look how nasty, vicious and amoral we can be" Fulci turns to them and says "hold my beer".
Fabio Testi is a smuggler who gets drawn into a brutal gang war when a new, vicious Don comes to town intent on moving the trade from ciggies to hard drugs. The film is genuinely nasty with rape, disfigurement by Bunsen burner, Liberal doses of claret overloaded into squibs. Fulci's poliziotteschi is smart enough to acknowledge the sub-genre's influences with westerns playing on T.V. He also seems to be one of the few directors not to simply use Fabio Testi as a generic tough guy, like with four of the apocalypse he genuinely runs Test's character through the grinder. Giving him a real sense of vulnerability.

Syndicate sadists

Thomas Milian teams up with Umberto Lenzi again, mixing up the crime film with Fistful of Dollars. Milian plays a tough as nails biker named Rambo who begins playing two gangs off against each other in a bid to rescue a kidnapped child.
This ones pure entertainment from beginning to end. It doesn't bog itself down with politicking, double crosses or anything extraneous to the plot at hand. It moves along at a cracking pace with Milian kicking a lot of ass. It might come across a little cheesy in the irony drenched 21st century but for me its solid no nonsense fun.

The cynic, the rat and the fist

Maurizio Merli plays Leonardo Tanzi another tough as nails cop as one would expect from the poliziotteschi. His nemesis Luigi Maietto aka "Chinaman" played by Thomas Milian escapes from Jail and tries to have him killed. Thinking he has succeeded Chinaman goes about his business. However Tanzi is still alive and sets about covertly taking the gang down.
Not as outright fun as Syndicate sadists its still a terrific little thriller with a great cast and plenty of action. Nice to see John Saxon turning up as a Mafia Boss.

Like this? Share it using the links below!