Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179015Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2018, 11:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

More Amazon video finds too add to the ever growing watch list.

Blood thirst
Full moon of the virgins
The third eye
Black shampoo
Getting lucky
Robowar
Carnage
Night of a 1000 cats
Head games
Cold ground
Tunnels
From
Cat women of the moon
Blood beast
Demon wind
Death by invitation
Psychos in love
Flesh feast
Unnatural fruit of evil
Guru the mad monk
Missel too the moon
Amazing Mr X
Alien factor
Route 666
Encounters in the deep
Neutron the auomic superman
Night of the demon
Combat
Iron superman
Creeping terror
Bermuda triangle
Alien 3000
Brainiac
Mark of the witch
Terror circus
The convent
Hitch hike
Slaughter hotel

Well should keep me busy for sometime.

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th February 2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 20th February 2018, 02:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cold Prey 2 2008

The sole survivor of the group of snowboarders from the first movie is rescued and taken to hospital unaware the mountain man is with her and her nightmare of survival begins again.

This is a decent sequel to the franchise but does seem like a Norwegian remake of the original Halloween II movie and inspiration for See No Evil 2.

It does seem to start of slow then picks up the pace, it is more dark and atmospheric and bit more story to the background to the "mountain man".

There is a bit more and decent adult casting rather than normal screaming teens and ones that do turn left instead of turning right and fairly decent kills. Worth a watch 9 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42374-cold-prey-ii-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg (25.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 20th February 2018, 08:22 AM
Cult Addict

Fullmetal Alchemist

Amazon/Netflix night. This popped up on Netflix so couldn't resist giving it a watch. I have to say up front I'm not the most reliable reviewer with this as I'm an enormous fan of the anime so it's pretty hard for me to review this as a film without comparing it to that. I'll try though.
For the most part the effects are great, one exception being the effects work on the homunculus Gluttony which looks pretty naff. The best work seems to have been on Alphonse Elric, whose soul it bound into a set of Automail armour. The effects work here is actually pretty good and as a result the character is the one most perfectly captured from the anime. It's a Japanese flick that Netflix have purchased so all the actors are Japanese. No whitewashing here. However its worth noting that unlike Dragonball or Death note, the characters could easily be played by western actors given that's specifically how they are portrayed in the anime. In fact the setting is an alternative Europe where Alchemy exists, and the show is based a lot on western Alchemical traditions. Some characters are cut from the film entirely for time reasons. Most notably Scar. A real shame as his character arc in the show is genuinely great. I also missed Major Armstrong. Admittedly not as important to the overall plot but one of the most likeable and fun characters in the show.
The location scouts for the film need some kind of award. The film seems to have been shot in Europe. Italy and eastern Europe from the looks of things. This really does make the film look like its set in the same locales as the anime. I'm genuinely in admiration of the film for this alone. I'm also genuinely surprised they kept the Shou Tucker plotline, which avoiding spoilers I'll say was one of the most genuinely disturbing moments in the show.
If your a fan of Fullmetal then this is worth a watch, however you might find yourself missing certain characters or spotting plot holes created by condensing what is essentially the first chunk of the show into two hours and fourteen minutes. For newbies its worth a look. Ok its a little long, but the plot is fairly dense and its certainly worth baring in mind that this is the readers digest abridged version of the plot. It can look a little flat and some of the characters might feel like they are overacting, I suspect trying to capture the anime versions of their characters. Perhaps it works as fan service but I do think they could have dialled things back a little in places. So if you have netflix and a couple of hours to kill I'd say give it a go.
Old 20th February 2018, 08:27 AM
Cult Addict

Now I feel minded to post some Major Armstrong clips....

trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 20th February 2018, 12:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mate raves about FMA all the time, noted.

To start with!!

Crooked House (2017)
Ignore bogbrush Branagh and his laughable CGI choochoo, this is the Agatha Christie adaptation you should all be watching instead. As it is one of her Charles Haywoode stories, also a break from the norm. Classic structure without too much revisionism, better cast than the MOTOE redo etc etc.

Dunkirk (2017, Christopher Nolan)
Watched this in tandem with Darkest Hour. Reading the Mosley book has been a goldmine in this respect, as I try to spot figures from the "cast" as such. Dunkirk was prettier than I had imagined. I also rewatched The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie ... but that's for the next installment (along with a David Warbeck double bill)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th February 2018, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thale 2012

At a recent crime scene at a cabin two police cleaners discover something hidden in a concealed room in the basement.

Another Norwegian movie I got on a blind buy, based on the Norwegian folklore Huldra. This is more myth, fantasy than horror except for the first 10-15 minutes of entering a blood bathed cabin.

Both the two male leads have very little dialogues but their acting to discovering what went on before they arrived is quite good.

This is not a big budget movie, and filmed at a good pace, it's not slow or hurried in anyway but worth a watch. 9out of 10.
Old 20th February 2018, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Slowing burning and character driven Snowbound horror about a group of friends who spend the night at isolated hotel to get away from a storm. Soon becomes apparent something is amiss. 6/10

Atmospheric and creepy tale about the legend of the Wurdalak (which was also one of the tales in black sabbath) . A stunning transfer of the film on Amazon which is from the Raro release) 9/10

Up tonight demon wind and tunnels (1989)

Some more Amazon video finds quite a few Poliziotteschi here.

Delirium
The boss
Crimes of the black cat
Super infamam
The brute man
Day lot the owl
The gi executioner
Violent Naples
Execution squad
From Corleone to Brooklyn
Hold up
Heroes never die
Kidnap syndicate
Blood and diamonds
Shoot first die later
Gang bang in Milan
Manhunt in the city
Meet him and die
Calibre 9
Eyes of the dragon
Old 20th February 2018, 08:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Cold Prey 2 2008

Worth a watch 9 out of 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Thale 2012

worth a watch. 9out of 10.
I love these verdicts Mr. B.

9/10 = Worth a watch.

To me 5 or 6 out of ten is worth a watch.

As for 9/10? Possibly about 3% of my huge collection i would score 9/10.

I would score them -Cold Prey II - 4/10 and Thale also 4/10. Thale was a huge disappointment. It should have been full of kinky sex.
Old 20th February 2018, 08:51 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I love these verdicts Mr. B.

9/10 = Worth a watch.

To me 5 or 6 out of ten is worth a watch.

As for 9/10? Possibly about 3% of my huge collection i would score 9/10.

I would score them -Cold Prey II - 4/10 and Thale also 4/10. Thale was a huge disappointment. It should have been full of kinky sex.
I'm the same. Anything which is around 5/10 is worth a watch. A 9/10 or 10/10 is a must-buy and in the masterpiece category.
keirarts, nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 20th February 2018, 09:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thanks very much Dem and Nos, with Cold Prey I liked the idea of teens being killed in different ways with one weapon, Jason had a machete, Michael had a knife as well as Norman Bates, In Cold Prey It was a pick axe. As for Thale not many movies based on folklore can be accurate in their myths and legends.

There was a movie I commented on but couldn't rate it The Standford Prison Experiment, I saw the documentary about it first then saw the film and the effect it had on the participants especially P.T.S.D something I too suffer from, but the acting was well done and it can be a good film to others.

Like this? Share it using the links below!